The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Speed levelling jewelry any many alts worth it?

ChimpyChumpy
ChimpyChumpy
✭✭✭
I have 18 alts now, levelled 13 of them during the jester's and anniversary event.

The 13 I made will be just writ alts for now while I focus on the first 5 I created. I speed levelled alchemy, provisioning and enchanting. It didn't cost too much to do this at all. Reallocated skill points all into the crafting lines.

I'd like to boost jewelry as I hate farming dolmens and I'm trying to get feedback on just creating cp 150 rings and deconning. The biggest challenge would be sourcing 5k platinum ounces for each Character. I figure I could do one every couple of days. Realistically I don't think spending 50k on 25 stacks is really possible if I don't want to spend weeks shopping.

I went ahead and used the platinum I had to boost a few of the playable alts to level 50 in jewelry and I did speed level two of the new alts and yeah it was pretty fast.

Is the increase in chrome grains so substantial in the long run to make it worth it to shop for platinum ounces and speed level jewelry? Where does diminishing returns kick in? Ideally I'd just take the daily writ gold and by ounces but damn that's a lot of shopping.

Any feedback welcome!
Edited by ChimpyChumpy on April 12, 2020 5:31PM

Best Answers

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll make the gold back in about 5 weeks, just from the increase in drop of Zircon and Chromium grains.

5,000 Platinum x 25 gold each = 125,000 gold

At max tier 30% chance of Chromium grain = .3 * 8000 = 2400
    40% chance of Zircon grain = .4 *2,500 = 1000

125,000 / (2400 + 1000 ) = 36 days.

The % I use are the "effective" percentages that account for the chance of getting double grains, and the occasional plating.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
    Answer ✓
  • woufff
    woufff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely worthwhile indeed B)
    PC/EU&NA - Redguard Nightblade - Grand Master Crafter - Explorer of Tamriel & Skyrim - Playing Starfield (and awaiting TES VI ^^)
    Answer ✓
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    I knew about the increase in chromium grain drop but hadn't even though about zircon. Increases by as much as 40%!?!

I was getting quite a few zircon/grains and platings on my main.

Your estimate for the cost of ounces is way higher than mine so looks like a real good deal to be honest. Going to start shopping I think. I'll try to aim for cheap ounces but won't sweat it to much.
    Answer ✓
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I did this for JC and Enchanting. It is nice. I don't have to worry about deconning to learn things anymore. It is worth it for just that aspect.

I can also focus on Platinum and not others for daily crafting writ needs.

Seems to work with Enchanting as well, though lots of skillpoints to max that as well.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Answer ✓
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Does every deconstruct all jewelry drops after this? What about the sellable ones?

PC
    PS4/PS5
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Max jewellery writs drop chromium grains so its worth it for that alone.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even Tier 2 to 4 Writs drop Gold Grains. Just not as often. So get the alts up to Tier 2 and then build up an alt at a time.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually done, finished all the alts over 3 days. Didn't take too long was actually quicker than botanist and toxicologist on all of them. I did get 2 or 3 of each chromium and zircon grains today so I think it will definitely pay off in the long run.

The real problem is the damn loading screens on 18 characters.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are on PC, don't run Master Merchant on the Alts that are just Crafting, really speeds up log on and log off times. In fact, on those alts just run Lazy Writ Crafter, Potion Maker and maybe CraftStore

• ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    Wow had not thought of that. Real glad I mentioned this I think I will test that tomorrow. I do have a bunch of addons I should just turn everything off and then see how much I can add back in without impacting loading. Not sure why I hadn't thought of this.
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    If you are on PC, don't run Master Merchant on the Alts that are just Crafting, really speeds up log on and log off times. In fact, on those alts just run Lazy Writ Crafter, Potion Maker and maybe CraftStore

Hi again just curious what about lib files. I had so many addons that I went ahead and turned off but with so many lib files I left them active. It would be a hot mess to try and figure out which ones are necessary but then again I only want to keep mass destruction, personal assistant, lazy writ and what pledge my alt active.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ChimpyChumpy

Lib Files are just databases, only accessed by the addon if the addon is active.

• ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you! Good to know. Glad I didn't waste time with them!
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just turning off master merchant will save a lot of time. I only have it on one character myself.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just turning off master merchant will save a lot of time. I only have it on one character myself.

I assume that is an addon. No addons for the PS4. :/
    PC
    PS4/PS5