Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

What annoys me about ESO armor design

Nemesis7884
Nemesis7884
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Besides the hip flaps everyone hates is the shoulders or in general the way every armor piece of every style "has to be" designed in a way where there cant be any clipping or overlap...this just really limits design choices and artistic vision for armors imo... I think this is most notable with shoulder pieces and especially fur (or cloth capes and the such)...because fur mantles dont just stop at one pieces borders and that makes the way eso implements them usually look quite meh...more like fur collars than anything else... (i love fur armors)

For example if you look at the silver dawn armor as an example - a wolf head as shoulder piece is a really cool idea... but how it is implemented just looks bad...way too small and cut off...i dont understand why they cant design some armors that have some pieces well that might override overlap some other armor pieces for the sake of looking good...this might limit your combination options but at least it would look good.

Below the example of the silver dawn armor and then compare this to an example from guild wars 2 - the shoulder armor is called "mantle of the hound", its a separate piece...in fact the picture combines completely different armor pieces from completely different sets...it looks SO much better (gw2 has basically a similar system like eso where you can mix and match armor pieces from different sets for looks AND gw2 has more than TEN different body types with different heights, sizes, dimensions etc.)...and you can dye it however...not to mention that gw2 is a MUCH smaller development team

why cant we have a nice fur shoulder mantle thats just worn over parts of your other armor (as one would) as the gw2 one??

Silver-Dawn-Iron-Male-Close-Front.jpg

MggnF4A.jpg

959px-Houndskin_Mantle.jpg

gw2-flashpoint-achievements-guide-22.jpg

fJaz8g9.png

A2lA04p.png

kt8dt5jejzjz.png
Edited by Nemesis7884 on April 12, 2020 7:41AM
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The wolf could do with being a bit bigger but the one in the picture would clip right through the arm when they fight, although I also personally prefer small shoulder plates as it makes it easier to create bulky female characters. Big shoulders tend to draw attention to the games stupidly thin arms for females. I’m telling you now that I could probably out muscle any female character in the game... as a woman that makes me very sad... ☹️

I agree with the hip flaps though, in fact if ZOS is reading this I would happily pay for a toggle to switch hip flaps off 😇
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, the same floating/cut off issues that shoulders have goes for elbow pieces, kneecaps, hoods, and hip flaps as well. I don't see clipping as a big issue as you can always make it look consistent with good coloring, but floating pieces completely ruin looks.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • SgtSilock
    SgtSilock
    ✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    Yes, the same floating/cut off issues that shoulders have goes for elbow pieces, kneecaps, hoods, and hip flaps as well. I don't see clipping as a big issue as you can always make it look consistent with good coloring, but floating pieces completely ruin looks.

Weapons have been floating off peoples backs since launch.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Every person here is correct.

ESO armors follow a very predictable formula. They're all made of the same number/kind of pieces, so that though they're differently shaped, every armor ends up looking about the same. Helmet. Streamlined torso. Pauldrons. (I would say that wolf head OP mentioned is an awkwardly shaped pauldron.) Tassets. Girdle. Loin cloth. All more or less proportionately the same and in the same place. Pauldrons, tassets and weapons never rest on the body.
    Edited by SickleCider on April 12, 2020 8:36AM
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wolf could do with being a bit bigger but the one in the picture would clip right through the arm when they fight, although I also personally prefer small shoulder plates as it makes it easier to create bulky female characters. Big shoulders tend to draw attention to the games stupidly thin arms for females. I’m telling you now that I could probably out muscle any female character in the game... as a woman that makes me very sad... ☹️

I agree with the hip flaps though, in fact if ZOS is reading this I would happily pay for a toggle to switch hip flaps off 😇

gw2 has not only more body types but MUCH more extensive combat animations....
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On the other hand seeing them requires playing guild wars 2... that’s a steep price to pay 🤣😇
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this just really limits design choices and artistic vision for armors imo...

Untrue.

It also prevents people from either carelessly or deliberately creating janky arsed cliptastic immersion breaking outfits.
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clipping isn't a big deal in my books. I wish they let you display your 2nd weapon when you weren't using it
    Edited by Cladius30 on April 13, 2020 10:43AM