The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to quickly build a crafting alt?

ImmortalCX
ImmortalCX
✭✭✭✭✭
My main character has maxed out all the crafting skill lines and has learned most of the crafting passives. There are only about 5-6 traits that need to be researched, then everything is maxed.

I have a couple lvl50 characters that I power leveled in one of the events. They have some basic weapon and class skills, but because I don't use them, I want them to be crafting alts. I'd like to be able to do the daily writs with all of them.

My thinking is that the best way to do this is to hunt skyshards (maybe 40-50 skill points or so). I would have to add up to see how many I need, but thats a guess. Farming 150 skyshards would take maybe 10-15 hours.

I have been feeding them found gear from my main to level up their skill lines, but I haven't invested any skill points. Many of the items are white and give very little xp. Is there a better way to power level the different crafting lines? Buy purples from ah and deconstruct? Or craft Items with my main and deconstruct?

Any tips appreciated.
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit: Or would it just be better to use low level alts for crafting? Farm the skyshards with the low level characters and invest almost all the points in crafting?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only need to gain about 15 skill points above and beyond the level up skill points that you get in order to have a characters that can do max level writs and have the hirelings.

These characters will not have any skills unlocked in that case (the only one I unlock is rapids).

If you have the materials crafting from you main and deconning is fine. Buying intricate items from the guild store is good as well.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    You only need to gain about 15 skill points above and beyond the level up skill points that you get in order to have a characters that can do max level writs and have the hirelings.

These characters will not have any skills unlocked in that case (the only one I unlock is rapids).

If you have the materials crafting from you main and deconning is fine. Buying intricate items from the guild store is good as well.

How exactly would you spend the points?

Max the material trait to 10/10? And the hireling? And thats it?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ImmortalCX wrote: »
    tmbrinks wrote: »

How exactly would you spend the points?

Max the material trait to 10/10? And the hireling? And thats it?

Yeah, that's all I do. I actually maximize the research passive while I'm doing that, and once the the research is done I move them over to the hireling.

If they're not going to be upgrading gear, or deconning materials, there's no need for the other passives.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And for Enchanting you only need points in Potency Improvement, Provisioning in Recipe Improvement for the highest tier writs.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For powerleveling crafting lines:

Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodworking: I just buy a ton of intricates.
    Jewelry: farm dolmens or buy intricates
    Provisioning: buy a recipe for your level, spam it until you can put in the next skill point, buy new recipe, spam, rinse repeat
    Alchemy: grab a bunch of two cheap reagents that make a potion, spam potion/poison with a level 1 solvent until you can put in a skill point, then spam potion/poison with the next level solvent, rinse repeat
    Enchanting is tougher for me. I farmed chests for white runes on a max level character, then deconned them until I was level 40 or so. Then I had a friend craft a bunch of purple runes and I deconned them.

Hope that helps!
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For powerleveling crafting lines:

Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodworking: I just buy a ton of intricates.
    Jewelry: farm dolmens or buy intricates
    Provisioning: buy a recipe for your level, spam it until you can put in the next skill point, buy new recipe, spam, rinse repeat
    Alchemy: grab a bunch of two cheap reagents that make a potion, spam potion/poison with a level 1 solvent until you can put in a skill point, then spam potion/poison with the next level solvent, rinse repeat
    Enchanting is tougher for me. I farmed chests for white runes on a max level character, then deconned them until I was level 40 or so. Then I had a friend craft a bunch of purple runes and I deconned them.

Hope that helps!

For alchemy and Enchanting:

You get an inspiration XP boost when you "research" a trait/translation for the first time, so learn all the base game traits for alchemy and enchanting while you're leveling!
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as earning more skill points, here's a list from the UESP site...

"There are several methods of earning skill points, listed below, up to a current total of 431 points (as of patch 5.05):
    • Leveling your character, up to level 50 (64 Skill Points)
    • Completing quests in the main quest (11 Skill Points)
    • Completing quest chains in the Dominion, Covenant, Pact, and Coldharbour main storylines (49 Skill Points)
    • Completing the Imperial City storyline (1 Skill Point)
    • Completing the Reforging storyline (3 Skill Points)
    • Completing the Divine Power, Morag Tong, and House Telvanni quest chains on Vvardenfell (3 Skill Points)
    • Completing the Summerset storyline (3 Skill Points)
    • Completing the Elsweyr storyline (3 Skill Points)
    • Reading the Folium Discognitum (Optional quest reward from Mages Guild quest chain) (2 Skill Points)
    • Completing the primary quest chain of the Thieves Guild storyline (6 Skill Points)
    • Completing the primary quest chain of the Dark Brotherhood storyline (8 Skill Points)
    • Completing the primary quest chain of the Clockwork City storyline (8 Skill Points)
    • Completing the primary quest chain of the Murkmire storyline (7 Skill Points)
    • Completing Orsinium Maelstrom Arena (1 Skill Point)
    • Absorbing skyshards (113 Skill Points, 36 more including all DLCs and Chapters)
    • Ranking up in the Alliance War (50 Skill Points)
    • Completing group challenges in public dungeons (16 Skill Points, 8 more including Orsinium, Vvardenfell, Summerset and Elsweyr)
    • Completing group dungeons (24 Skill Points, one for each completed dungeon storyline quest in the base game, 14 more including those added by Imperial City, Shadows of the Hist, Horns of the Reach, Dragon Bones, Wolfhunter, Wrathstone, and Scalebreaker)
    • Playing or skipping the tutorial quest in the current chapter: Broken Bonds, The Mind Trap, or Bright Moons, Warm Sands (1 Skill Point - only one of these quests can be completed by any given character, and those created prior to Morrowind cannot get any of them.)"

(http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Skills)

Good Luck!
    Edited by Ri_Khan on April 12, 2020 2:35PM