Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

How do you expect greymoor to be with the performance problems?

JinMori
JinMori
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
At the moment it's not uncommon to see latency jump like it's on a pogo stick, imagine how it will be when the expansion releases.

I don't really care for the excuses, fix the game.
Edited by JinMori on April 11, 2020 8:32PM
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Based on experience, I expect it to be just as bad if not somehow worse.
    Options
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Based on experience, I expect it to be just as bad if not somehow worse.

It's gonna be worse. For the first few weeks of new expansion hype.

It's bad either way. It's embarrassing.

At least once it used to be mostly a pvp thing, but now.... It';s *** in pve, it's *** in pvp, it's *** even in instances where you are literally the only person there, like WTF!
    Edited by JinMori on April 11, 2020 8:39PM
    Options
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People are still exploiting the game mechanics, so it's not going to change until ZOS puts an end to it.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend not to visit expansion zones until the initial crowd has moved on, but that said I don't have any issues with overland content on PC EU and NA including during events so don't expect any different in Greymoor.
    Options
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    People are still exploiting the game mechanics, so it's not going to change until ZOS puts an end to it.

What are you even talking about? Is this a light attack animation cancelling thing? Or you are talking about botting or multiboxers?
    Edited by JinMori on April 11, 2020 9:07PM
    Options
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It might be mixed it depends on the changes they are adding in.
    I think the following will help with performance.
    Non-combat Pets: We are rewriting how non-combat pets are handled to be more performant (work better, more efficiently, and take up less overhead/resources on the server. This work is in internal bug fixing and on track to release with Update 26.

Player Character Loading: We are making the player character loading process multi-threaded on the server to improve performance. This work is in internal bug fixing and on track to release with Update 26.

I think this depends on what computers or clients people are using I'm guessing.
    Multi-threaded Fixture Creation on the Client: This work centers around how art assets are constructed and drawn on the client, ultimately spreading this work out over multiple cores. Code work is complete and in internal testing. This in on track to release with Update 26.
    Fixture Creation: Initial code work is complete and in internal bug fixing. This is on track to release with Update 26.
    Character Update: This work centers around how characters are drawn on the client, spreading work out over multiple cores. Code work is complete and in internal bug fixing. This is on track for release with Update 26.
    I can see that both helping higher end machines not sure if it would help my potato duel core laptop.

Not sure on this one but I'd imagine it will help as well.
    FX Update: This is additional work that we identified as during the first part of the effects manager improvements that are coming with Update 25. Code work is complete and in internal testing. This in on track to release with Update 26.

So there is several things coming for performance.

Sadly they seem to have the Aoe Changes on Hold for update 27.
    But the other stuff like the database caching they have planned will be in either 27 or 28 and in 28 or 29 there will be the account cold storage database. So I think the biggest impacts on curbing the bad performance will be in 27 or 28 or even 29.

I think Greymoor will have a small impact or dent in the performance decreases.
    However I don't expect it to be as much till they do the database, aoe and account cold based storage.
    I think the database cache might be where they will store information like character names. What account is active or not active and then when its to inactive on a server that information gets stored in the account cold storage.
    Also the Database Worker Optimization I think will help a lot as well.

So no I don't think Greymoor will have as great an impact on the bad performance but I think Update 27,28 or 29 will have the most impact.
    Just because of what they are doing.
    There is more they can do as well, I think converting the achievements system to server wide instead of character wide would help as well. Don't have to store as much data for each of the players achievements and all the copies of various achievements. Which would open up more room I think on the servers. Doing many things they can do to make the servers as performative as possible is the best thing they can do along with all this database and server rework.

They do have a lot of work ahead of them but if they manage to get it all done. I'm pretty sure the game will be in a much better place.

Edited by Thevampirenight on April 11, 2020 11:18PM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
    Options
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JinMori wrote: »
    At the moment it's not uncommon to see latency jump like it's on a pogo stick, imagine how it will be when the expansion releases.

I don't really care for the excuses, fix the game.

um who knows
    Options
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well the good thing is its top priority to actually fix it this year. I do know it won't be right away but accumulate with the various fixes they are doing and some of them really look to me like they could really help out. And I'm sure they are going to help out.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on April 11, 2020 11:44PM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
    Options
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone there might have a revelation between now and then
    Options
  • Unfadingsilence
    Unfadingsilence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »

Doubt that will happen
    Options
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Doubt that will happen

Hope.
    Options
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overland will probably be the same experience you have currently in the most populated areas during the event(s).
    Of they don't do major fixes on U26/chapter release. I
    Options
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s gunna get worse, as usual.
    Options
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It’s gunna get worse, as usual.

Indy, I expect it to be as bad as it is now. I would HOPE it wouldn't get worse; but, stranger things have happened.
    Options
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the good thing is its top priority to actually fix it this year. I do know it won't be right away but accumulate with the various fixes they are doing and some of them really look to me like they could really help out. And I'm sure they are going to help out.

The funny thing is that it’s been a top priority for them for about a year so far and all they’ve managed to do is make it significantly worse.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

Options
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

The funny thing is that it’s been a top priority for them for about a year so far and all they’ve managed to do is make it significantly worse.

^This, I spend most of my time in zone chat or watching twitch girls cause the game is so broke
    Options
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/56681
    Q2 2020: Update 26

Server Optimization & Stability
    Non-combat Pets: We are rewriting how non-combat pets are handled to be more performant (work better, more efficiently, and take up less overhead/resources on the server. Internal bug fixing is underway. This work is on track to release with Update 26.

You tell me if anything is going to change with Greymoor when this is what they're selling for performance improvements.
    Joined September 2013
    Options
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanctum74 wrote: »

^This, I spend most of my time in zone chat or watching twitch girls cause the game is so broke

What Twitch girls would you recommend
    Options
  • Lab3360
    Lab3360
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect it to be unplayable
    Options
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

it almost seems like they are only pretending like it's a top priority.. and it's only there for marketing.... Mmmm
    Options
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sanctum74 wrote: »

What Twitch girls would you recommend

Velvet, Jinny, Kiara I have an Asian bias lol
    Options
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A lag here
    a loading screen there
    a desync here
    a loading screen there

basicly same as currently with more vampire NPCs...
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
    Options
  • Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be mixed it depends on the changes they are adding in.
    I think the following will help with performance.
    Non-combat Pets: We are rewriting how non-combat pets are handled to be more performant (work better, more efficiently, and take up less overhead/resources on the server. This work is in internal bug fixing and on track to release with Update 26.

Player Character Loading: We are making the player character loading process multi-threaded on the server to improve performance. This work is in internal bug fixing and on track to release with Update 26.

I think this depends on what computers or clients people are using I'm guessing.
    Multi-threaded Fixture Creation on the Client: This work centers around how art assets are constructed and drawn on the client, ultimately spreading this work out over multiple cores. Code work is complete and in internal testing. This in on track to release with Update 26.
    Fixture Creation: Initial code work is complete and in internal bug fixing. This is on track to release with Update 26.
    Character Update: This work centers around how characters are drawn on the client, spreading work out over multiple cores. Code work is complete and in internal bug fixing. This is on track for release with Update 26.
    I can see that both helping higher end machines not sure if it would help my potato duel core laptop.

Not sure on this one but I'd imagine it will help as well.
    FX Update: This is additional work that we identified as during the first part of the effects manager improvements that are coming with Update 25. Code work is complete and in internal testing. This in on track to release with Update 26.

So there is several things coming for performance.

Sadly they seem to have the Aoe Changes on Hold for update 27.
    But the other stuff like the database caching they have planned will be in either 27 or 28 and in 28 or 29 there will be the account cold storage database. So I think the biggest impacts on curbing the bad performance will be in 27 or 28 or even 29.

I think Greymoor will have a small impact or dent in the performance decreases.
    However I don't expect it to be as much till they do the database, aoe and account cold based storage.
    I think the database cache might be where they will store information like character names. What account is active or not active and then when its to inactive on a server that information gets stored in the account cold storage.
    Also the Database Worker Optimization I think will help a lot as well.

So no I don't think Greymoor will have as great an impact on the bad performance but I think Update 27,28 or 29 will have the most impact.
    Just because of what they are doing.
    There is more they can do as well, I think converting the achievements system to server wide instead of character wide would help as well. Don't have to store as much data for each of the players achievements and all the copies of various achievements. Which would open up more room I think on the servers. Doing many things they can do to make the servers as performative as possible is the best thing they can do along with all this database and server rework.

They do have a lot of work ahead of them but if they manage to get it all done. I'm pretty sure the game will be in a much better place.

Lies all lies just wait and see...
    Options