Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Crafted items and the color they appear

InRetrospect
I searched first but could only find really old threads or ones mostly unrelated to my question/surprise discovery. With my main who is fully leveled up I’ve been building champion armor for all my alts since they’re not fully maxed out on skill points yet, to bring them up to speed since it’s a massive jump from 50 to champion level 160 in terms of weapons and armor, and as you all know 150 versus 160 is ten times as many materials needed.

I finally acquired enough ancestor silk to build a lvl 160 jerkin for my Breton sorcerer, and I had enough dreugh wax to fully improve it to gold status (Epic level is what it’s called, right?). When I put it on my Breton, the same item made by the same character who made the level 150 jerkin turned from red to silver. I would chalk it up to this having sardonyx added in, or it being upgraded to epic?, or it being level 160, but all of my mains armor pieces are 160 and have sardonyx and one of his armor pieces is epic, and his whole outfit is still red.

So I guess my question is, is max level armor (whether it be sardonyx, epic, 160, or a combination of all 3?) different colors depending on which racial style you build? Or did I just get lucky and finally have something built in a different color than red with rubedite/ruby/ancestor/rubedo?
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold is legendary; epic is purple.

As far as I know, only the style (such as Breton, Redguard, etc.) and basic material (such as Ancestor Silk or Rubedo Leather) affect the basic color and appearance of the crafted item; any trait, quality, set, or enchantment doesn't affect the color.

On the other hand, dying the item or applying an outfit style can definitely change the color and appearance, so I'd guess that the character had an outfit in effect?
    Edited by SeaGtGruff on April 10, 2020 5:49AM
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • InRetrospect
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Gold is legendary; epic is purple.

As far as I know, only the style (such as Breton, Redguard, etc.) and basic material (such as Ancestor Silk or Rubedo Leather) affect the basic color and appearance of the crafted item; any trait, quality, set, or enchantment doesn't affect the color.

On the other hand, dying the item or applying an outfit style can definitely change the color and appearance, so I'd guess that the character had an outfit in effect?

No. Ancestor silk jerkin level 150 was the red and purple Breton racial style, and then I put on him a Ancestor silk jerkin level 160 and now it’s like a silver color. No outfits or anything going on, I don’t use any of that stuff at all, so as you can see my confusion, am I right?
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What style is the CP160 gear?
    Options
  • MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cp160 gear is red most of the time, this may depend on the style. But why aren't you using the outfit system if you're that obsessed with the color of what you're wearing?
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think he's "obsessed" with the color; to me it sounds like he's just curious why the item was a different color than he was expecting it to be. There's nothing wrong with wanting to know how things work and why things happen. :)
    Options
  • InRetrospect
    What style is the CP160 gear?
    same style as the cp150 gear was, they’re both Breton jerkins. Both made by the same character, the only difference was cp150 didn’t have sardonyx or improvements.

Options
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The appearance of the equipped item is affected by the tempering improvement level (purple, gold, etc.) as well as the materials used. I once tested out crafting and improving a greatsword to match the dyes on a set of clothing without having to use an outfit style slot (since I was already using the free slot for my main outfit look). I would expect your gear to still be mostly red based on the materials used, but the quality improvement will affect the color of the worn item.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
    Options
  • InRetrospect
    Cp160 gear is red most of the time, this may depend on the style. But why aren't you using the outfit system if you're that obsessed with the color of what you're wearing?

Yeah not obsessed just trying to understand why it’s a different color from cp150 to cp160 when nothing else has appeared to change colors beforehand
    Options
  • InRetrospect
    I don't think he's "obsessed" with the color; to me it sounds like he's just curious why the item was a different color than he was expecting it to be. There's nothing wrong with wanting to know how things work and why things happen. :)

And for the record the outside part of the jerkin is still red. It’s the middle part on the chest used to be mostly purple with a little bit of silvery white and now it’s straight up silvery white and no purple I guess that’s my real question
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gear "tint" is depended of the material you use to craft. So if you are crafting top level weapon / armour (160 CP) then you are using Rubedite Ingot for example, that has a reddish colour. But if you don't like it, you can change the colour of the armour using dye station. For changing weapon colour, you will have to use outfit system.
    Options
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might want to post a couple screenshots, @InRetrospect, so forum-goers can process what you're saying ... but it appears you've found a unique benefit for Breton style (or a bug depending on the interpretation of the player).
    Options
  • InRetrospect
    You might want to post a couple screenshots, @InRetrospect, so forum-goers can process what you're saying ... but it appears you've found a unique benefit for Breton style (or a bug depending on the interpretation of the player).

I figured it out. There is a tint change from 150 to 160 in Nord armor as well so that must be standard across the board. Mostly red still but other colors change slightly. For the Nord it changed from a light brown to a darker brown. For the Breton it changed from purple to a silvery white.
    Options
  • Truewavesound
    Truewavesound
    ✭✭✭
    Different qualities (epic, legendary etc.) and different levels can be different colour schemes, within the same style.
    Options