Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Will TESO ever get a Vulkan renderer to improve client performance on Windows?

AlexanderDeLarge
AlexanderDeLarge
✭✭✭✭✭
In light of recent benchmarks showing massive Vulkan gains yet again... Any update on Windows getting the Vulkan renderer other platforms already have? Conservatively, I'd guess we'd see 10-15% performance gains across the board for Windows users and possibly even higher for those running ESO on Linux (Doom Eternal runs better on Linux than it does through Windows see benchmark below). I know I could certainly benefit from another 10-15% client performance.
https://youtu.be/h-XnlUMfkjM

MacOS has a Vulkan renderer via MoltenVK
Stadia will be running on a Vulkan renderer that runs on Linux natively when it releases this year
Why hasn't there been talk of a Vulkan client for Windows, the version the overwhelming majority of PC users play on?
Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 7 paid expansions. 22 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the vast majority of this game.

"ESO doesn't need a harder overland" on YouTube for a video of a naked level 3 character AFKing in front of a bear for a minute and a half before dying
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I will have died of old age before any performance is improved in this game
    Options
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I will have died of old age before any performance is improved in this game

Aww. But that's when you'll be at your sweetest. Banana bread time!
    Options
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would ZOS rewrite the entire game using an entirely new API? I see these Vulkan evangelists pop up from time to time, and none of them explain how they expect a company to make such a huge investment while the game is running and being developed for. I also don't see anything about why ZOS would opt for Vulkan instead of DX12, which is comparable to Vulkan in terms of capabilities. And I don't see anything about how Vulkan would help with server issues, considering it's entirely client-side and only relevant in terms of fps, but does nothing regarding server responsiveness/latency/stability.
    Options
  • AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    Why would ZOS rewrite the entire game using an entirely new API? I see these Vulkan evangelists pop up from time to time, and none of them explain how they expect a company to make such a huge investment while the game is running and being developed for. I also don't see anything about why ZOS would opt for Vulkan instead of DX12, which is comparable to Vulkan in terms of capabilities. And I don't see anything about how Vulkan would help with server issues, considering it's entirely client-side and only relevant in terms of fps, but does nothing regarding server responsiveness/latency/stability.

Because it'd be greatly beneficial to client performance in a game where client performance isn't too great. You say it's a huge investment but they already have a Vulkan renderer up and running on MacOS for a small subset of users and they'll soon have it up and running for Stadia which is even smaller.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 7 paid expansions. 22 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the vast majority of this game.

"ESO doesn't need a harder overland" on YouTube for a video of a naked level 3 character AFKing in front of a bear for a minute and a half before dying
    Options
  • Arca94
    Arca94
    ✭✭✭✭
    Improving performance?

RUdPyQP.jpeg
    Options
  • Milo
    Milo
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't the Mac client already use Vulkan?

If so you dont need to "rewrite the entire game".
    Edited by Milo on April 6, 2020 3:35PM
    Options
  • AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Milo wrote: »
    Doesn't the Mac client already use Vulkan?

If so you dont need to "rewrite the entire game".

Correct, and the upcoming Stadia (Linux) version does too

Options
  • EnOeZ
    EnOeZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait a minute, ESO works on linux ????? <3<3<3
    Options
  • Llorephie
    Llorephie
    Soul Shriven
    EnOeZ wrote: »

Through wine64 and dxvk - yes, nearly comparable to native Windows performance (lost only 3-5 fps), and works fine.

But if there will be announced native Linux support - woohoo!
    Options
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Llorephie wrote: »
    EnOeZ wrote: »

Through wine64 and dxvk - yes, nearly comparable to native Windows performance (lost only 3-5 fps), and works fine.

But if there will be announced native Linux support - woohoo!

With how things are going ZOS are much more likely to announce suspension of Mac support.
    Options