The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Did I miss something in the prologue?

Sinolai
Sinolai
✭✭✭✭✭
The first step is to talk to Skald-King's Agent. I go to speak with the agent and the agent comments: "You are the help the Skald-King promised? Suddenly, I feel a lot better about our chances."
Can someone explain to me why and how King Jorun has been able to recruit me as his errand boy? I am a Palatine and Champion of the Daggerfall Covenant.
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you can abandon the quest, tell him to *** off and stay Champion of the Daggerfall Covenant.

:#

Edited by RefLiberty on March 31, 2020 6:31PM
  • TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sinolai wrote: »
    The first step is to talk to Skald-King's Agent. I go to speak with the agent and the agent comments: "You are the help the Skald-King promised? Suddenly, I feel a lot better about our chances."
    Can someone explain to me why and how King Jorun has been able to recruit me as his errand boy? I am a Palatine and Champion of the Daggerfall Covenant.

Did you play the main quest? You’re renowned across all of Tamriel.
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

don´t understand your problem, nobody is forcing you to do anything, so just turn around and stay in your homeland!
    nobody needs you, we don´t like you, so just keep it up, you champignon of the cove!
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In the last expansions, lore and continuity have cessed to exist.
  • Lixiviant
    Lixiviant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh geez, I forgot that ESO is real life.
    PS4/PS5/NA - And sometimes EU

Daedroth might bite, just letting you know
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can someone explain to me why and how King Jorun has been able to recruit me as his errand boy?
    Because you accepted his invitation. Why did you do that if you don't want it to do? The quest starter clearly states that the Skald-King requested that you meet with his agent. And then you complain that the agent reacts to that exactly as they're supposed to? Huh?
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Did you do the orignal game main quest(s) yet? You have to meet with the leaders of the opposing factions. Both of them will praise your exploits because you are famous enough that even in their opposing faction they've heard of you.

Want to keep supporting the spineless waffle ruler that caused the needless deaths [or conversions to undead] of hundreds of their subjects because he can't make a decision, [although if you slogged through the DC quests you're probably top aces at killing bloodfiends and vampires] then ignore the Skald-King's request.

Wait until Emeric screws up again and unleashes even more vampires/bloodfiends on his kingdom. Cause decisions are hard, you know. Much easier to dump them on the first random adventurer wanders by....
  • Mindcr0w
    Mindcr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can someone explain to me why and how King Jorun has been able to recruit me as his errand boy?

Step 1: He sent you an optional request.

Step 2: You willingly complied with the request.
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I miss Ironbelly.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Did you also avoid Vvardenfell, Summerset, Murkmire and North and South Catland don't recall those being in the Covenant either.

Its a Prologue for the new chunk of Skyrim chapter, why did you think they wouldn't use Pact characters for it.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, apparently he has heard of your greatness and wants you for this important and perilous job.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget it, ZOS threw continuity in the trash a long time ago. I finished the prologue today and was a bit suprised by Jorunn's voice, which wasn't as I remembered it. Out of curiosity, I went to his temporary court in Windhelm straight out of the High King's palace, and sure enough, there was old Jorunn with old Jorunn's voice.

Did you know you weren't always supposed to be able to play in different faction zones at all? The whole retconned "Cadwell's Silver" and "Cadwell's Gold" gimmick was a late addition in development, probably in part because ZOS found that people weren't all flocking to Cyrodiil at level 50 so they needed a quick way to add content after the end of the main quest. Everything stops making sense when you're the champion of 3 warring factions, then when iconic NPCs you may or may not have killed come back to lead you through content 5 years later... Best not think too much about it.
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I left him to die
  • Mindcr0w
    Mindcr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Forget it, ZOS threw continuity in the trash a long time ago. I finished the prologue today and was a bit suprised by Jorunn's voice, which wasn't as I remembered it. Out of curiosity, I went to his temporary court in Windhelm straight out of the High King's palace, and sure enough, there was old Jorunn with old Jorunn's voice

Them not being able to get the same voice actor back years later is hardly an example of bad continuity.

Would you prefer they did Jorunn completely dirty and replaced him with a completely different character like they did with Ayrenn in Summerset?
    Edited by Mindcr0w on April 1, 2020 1:57AM
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Honestly I really did not like the prologue. It was much lower quality imo than previous prologues, in essence you fetched two sticks, two pieces of paper, and a key. The dialogue was also far more bland than previous prologues. Black reach was nice, but aside that, I really wasn't impressed.
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheValkyn wrote: »

that is not me. That is the Other Vestige from Ebonheart Pact. I just observed the heroes from other Alliances as I was explained by Cadwell at the beginning of Cadwell's silver. Now however, the Agent came directly to me in Gelnumbra, saying that Jorunn has promised me to aid her in this task. (edit:removed spoilers)
    Edited by Sinolai on April 1, 2020 10:15AM
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »

Did you also avoid Vvardenfell, Summerset, Murkmire and North and South Catland don't recall those being in the Covenant either.

Its a Prologue for the new chunk of Skyrim chapter, why did you think they wouldn't use Pact characters for it.

I walked to Vvardenfell myself and met the people and Vivec in there in Person. (or got kidnapped by Slavers before Soulburst and even happened) Same with Summerset. Atleast I have contacts in there. Sotrywise my Character however has never spoken with Jorunn. If he knows my reputation he could have atleast sent me a letter first.
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »
    Because you accepted his invitation. Why did you do that if you don't want it to do? The quest starter clearly states that the Skald-King requested that you meet with his agent. And then you complain that the agent reacts to that exactly as they're supposed to? Huh?

Thank you. That is exactly the piece of information I had missed.
    Edited by Sinolai on April 1, 2020 10:26AM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheFM wrote: »

Honestly I really did not like the prologue. It was much lower quality imo than previous prologues, in essence you fetched two sticks, two pieces of paper, and a key. The dialogue was also far more bland than previous prologues. Black reach was nice, but aside that, I really wasn't impressed.

This is far more serious.

This is the worst prologue for a long time. Consider how much better the prologues to Summerset, Elsweyr and even Dragonhold were. This is low grade, poorly implemented twaddle which regurgitates one of the mini bosses from Unhallowed Grave, albeit without some of its key mechanics.

Compared to the Dragonhold prologue, which introduced us to the grappling hook, and has genuine replayability. This limited segment of tedium barely encourages playing...
  • fierackas
    fierackas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did it in less than an hour and noted there is no real replayability on alts unlike with previous ones.
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »

This is the worst prologue for a long time. Consider how much better the prologues to Summerset, Elsweyr and even Dragonhold were. This is low grade, poorly implemented twaddle which regurgitates one of the mini bosses from Unhallowed Grave, albeit without some of its key mechanics.

Compared to the Dragonhold prologue, which introduced us to the grappling hook, and has genuine replayability. This limited segment of tedium barely encourages playing...

I actually felt the dialogues were more immersive than in most of Elsweyr and Drsgonholds (apart from Jorunn). The sotey was also okay and wasnt conflicting with itself. Definietly not the worst quest I have played.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fierackas wrote: »
    I did it in less than an hour and noted there is no real replayability on alts unlike with previous ones.

There was a title, which I wanted on one of my characters, but that was about it.

I may still do it again though. I don’t belong to a RP guild, but I do make choices for them based on what I feel is right for their “character”. So I want all of my Nord characters to do this quest.

I really liked the dragon hold quest chain where we got a piece of furniture, I wish they did that again.
  • MajThorax
    MajThorax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there an npc that gives dailies like zahari?
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MajThorax wrote: »
    Is there an npc that gives dailies like zahari?
    no
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I kindda liked it. But I don't understand why I get send to Vulkhel Guard (AD) first for a short dialogue. Why not start in Grathwood right away? Pointless extra step.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everstorm wrote: »
    I kindda liked it. But I don't understand why I get send to Vulkhel Guard (AD) first for a short dialogue. Why not start in Grathwood right away? Pointless extra step.

I was grouped with a friend. He got sent to Vulkhel Guard, I was sent to Daggerfall. We were only able to progress together starting in Riften. When alliances mean so little that they're selling alliance change tokens, it feels weird to hard code this quest to a character's faction.
  • Coppes
    Coppes
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheValkyn wrote: »

that is not me. That is the Other Vestige from Ebonheart Pact. I just observed the heroes from other Alliances as I was explained by Cadwell at the beginning of Cadwell's silver. Now however, the Agent came directly to me in Gelnumbra, saying that Jorunn has promised me to aid her in this task. (edit:removed spoilers)

Either way you’re renown (Coldharbor Questline and Main Quest).

Cadwell never says that you’re experiencing someone else’s adventures. In fact, it’s never really explained.

From a comment on the subreddit:
    “The game doesn't explain it all that well. You use daedric magic (specifically Meridia's) to "see the world through the eyes of your former enemies", and "even familiar faces will see you as a soulless drifter, lost in an unfamiliar land" never mind that people in your original alliance still recognize you as you were if you go back to the old zones.”
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »

This is exactly my impression too. I was expecting at least to fight a vampire, or have some engaging scenes like when you had to free that npc from mephalas web in summersets prologue, there I was GENUINELY impressed. But this? Lyris had some really bad dialogue, and Jorund was also quite forgettable.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OP. Remember back in the day when your character (or characters) killed that boss spirit(?) giant for Jorund. Jorund remembers, and that's why he requested you.

The prologue was underwhelming though. Just like last year's prologue, all you really do is port around to places, kill a few monsters, and finally stomp on a below average powered "boss". I'll play it for the story, but I'll only play it once.

Note; if you didn't help Jorund out with the giant, I'm sure he'd remember you from defeating Molog Bal's plans for world domination.
    Edited by starlizard70ub17_ESO on April 1, 2020 8:38PM
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    Forget it, ZOS threw continuity in the trash a long time ago. I finished the prologue today and was a bit suprised by Jorunn's voice, which wasn't as I remembered it. Out of curiosity, I went to his temporary court in Windhelm straight out of the High King's palace, and sure enough, there was old Jorunn with old Jorunn's voice.

Did you know you weren't always supposed to be able to play in different faction zones at all? The whole retconned "Cadwell's Silver" and "Cadwell's Gold" gimmick was a late addition in development, probably in part because ZOS found that people weren't all flocking to Cyrodiil at level 50 so they needed a quick way to add content after the end of the main quest. Everything stops making sense when you're the champion of 3 warring factions, then when iconic NPCs you may or may not have killed come back to lead you through content 5 years later... Best not think too much about it.

um...no. Cyrodiil didn't have a lot to do with it.

Cadwell's Silver and Gold were added because there were a lot of people complaining that they couldn't play their same character through all the factions. ZOS listened to what the players wanted, and Cadwell's Silver and Gold appeared so players didn't have to make more than one character to do all the content.

Truthfully, imo, Cadwell's Silver and Gold makes a LOT more sense than One Tamriel, where you can go anywhere at any time and do any quest in any faction in any order. Please note; One Tamriel also came about because ZOS listened to the people ranting about being forced to do their faction content/beat Molag Bal before being able to go everywhere.

Darn those pestiferous Devs for listening to people and actually doing what they want.
    Edited by JKorr on April 1, 2020 8:48PM