The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Red Mountain in ESO Question??

gjohnson146
gjohnson146
✭✭
So I am a big fan of lore in this game but this question is nagging at me!
So I know that Red Mountain has exploded three times in history, once in the first era, once in the second, and once in the fourth. I am just doing the EP quest line and everyone keeps saying that it exploded recently.. and it sure looks like it has with the smoke and ash and all. But to my understanding, it doesn't explode until later in the second era. Am I missing something?
Thank you all for helping!
Edited by gjohnson146 on March 31, 2020 6:18AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't recall Red Mountain coming up in the EP questline, but I fully admit its been a while since I replayed it. Which quests? If you are in Stonefalls, the plot does deal with a volcano exploding, but that's not Red Mountain.

In Morrowind, a part of the climax of the plot deals with you preventing an eruption of Red Mountain.
  • Benzux
    Benzux
    ✭✭✭✭
    As was mentioned above, fairly certain that the dialogue in Stonefalls is talking about either Ash Mountain of the Tormented Spire, the two volcanoes on the Morrowind mainland that have the Brothers of Strife imprisoned within them.
    However, Red Mountain does in fact erupt during the Vvardenfell questline, though only briefly:
    When Clavicus Vile stole Vivec's divine energy, Baar Dau threatened to fall onto Vivec City, and the Red Mountain began to spew ash and brimstone after being restive for a long time. This was attributed to the fact that "Vivec loves the land, and the land loves him in return", so Vivec's suffering at the drastic loss of his power caused Vvardenfell itself to suffer as well, thus the "minor" eruption. Had Vivec not regained his powers, the eruption would have become cataclysmic at the fall of Baar Dau, which would have caused the Red Year to happen a few centuries early.
    BenzuxGamer - Xbox One since day 1 - CP 1500+
    Guildmaster of the Sacrificial Warriors, one of the oldest and most member-orientated Guilds on the Xbox One EU Megaserver
    "Casual" player from Finland who enjoys questing and dumb builds even after well over 1000 CP levels and 4000+ hours. A fan of Argonians, Goats and Elk. Also a massive Otaku (MAL Profile).
    "Following the meta makes you a sheep. That's why I'm a goat: I go in the opposite direction and make use of the things the sheep cannot." - Me, 2019
    Characters:
    Ben-Zu - Argonian MagDK DPS - EP (Main)
    Benzuth Telvanni - Dunmer MagSorc DPS - EP
    Haknir Head-Crusher - Nord DK Tank/Stam DPS - EP
    Delves-Deepest-Depths - Argonian StamBlade DPS - EP
    Raises-The-Dead - Argonian Mag Necromancer DPS7Healer - EP (Previously a Sorc healer, RIP)
    Bthuzdir Ynzavretz - Dwemer StamSorc DPS - AD (Dunmer in-game)
    Fafnir the Dragon - Nord Stam DK DPS - EP
    Bloodmage Thalnos - Breton MagBlade DPS - DC
    Finnis Wolfheart - Bosmer Stam Warden DPS - EP
    Gwyneth - Nord Warden Tank - EP
    Kud-Wazei Xeroicas - Argonian Mag Templar DPS/Tank - EP
    Barkskin Ben-Zhu - Argonian Warden Healer - EP (Alternate version of main)
    Xal-Vakka Xeroicas - Argonian DK Healer - EP
    Jaree-Shei the Wamasu - Argonian Sorcerer Tank - EP
    Gwennen Ereloth - Snow Elf Mag Warden DPS - EP (Dunmer in-game)
    Friedrich der Grosse - Imperial Nightblade Tank - EP
    Warfarin - Altmer Nightblade Healer - EP