The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Returning Player, wall of questions....!

Tsunahmie
Tsunahmie
✭✭✭
Hi first of all!
I put roughly 800 hours into this game 3 years ago and came back today for the first time since.
I have decided to main Magplar and was wondering if anyone has any tipe for a returnee. I have about 100K gold, I have crafting maxed on one of my characters but not all traits researched and I could farm a ton of mates on that character if needed.
So my questions are I guess:

how many Skill points do I need roughly for a pvp/pve build?
What is the meta for Magplars atm and PvP in general?
I like running around solo or in zerg/group in cyrodill, is Cyrodill still relatively active?
I'm not really to much into story stuff but what are must have unlocks for skills and or passives etc that would affect me in pvp/dungeons/trials?
Is Maelstrom arena still the only place to get (Master?) weapons? Are there any new Must have weapons for varying builds?

Crafting:
I have all crafting maxed apart from cooking and alchemy on one character. Do hirelings give me materials on alts as well or is it a once per day account wide? Debating whether or not I should level crafting for hirelings on all my alts!
Gathering/farming: I remember farming runes and stuff in the open world and getting gold materials from reefing lumber/metal etc. I can't remember how you gather Lumber / ore etc anymore though... is that just open world as well looking for nodes?
Do higher level Ores/lumber have a higher chance of getting gold mats from refining?

Planning on subbing to get the newest expansion, do I need to buy the other ones I am missing or will subbing give me full access?

I left the game during the One Tamriel Update so I'm not fully aware of how jewlry crafting works. I don't see a skill tree with passives anywhere. how does that work? Also I know you can now farm the old sets that once were useless including the jewellery for max level, Can I upgrade the jewellery from say blue to purple and then from purple to gold now as well?

I know it's a lot of questions, however it is so confusing coming back to a game after such a long time. I just want to focus on getting one build together and getting back into pvp, grinding cp (370 currently) and maybe starting on a pve build. Is refining mats and selling the golden mats still profitable? I remember being able to make a lot of money even just by farming the runes and getting the gold ones (Jota? lol can't remember the name)

To whoever reads this wall of questions and answers anything: Thankyou very much!!!

(Btw playing on Eu server)

ps: was really sad to see my Stamblade build was nerfed to the ground, seems like all of deltias' gaming old builds aren't viable anymore huh! spent over 300k on that build haha

oh also: if someone makes me set in white. can I upgrade it myself to green, blue, purple gold etc myself?
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tsunahmie wrote: »
    Crafting:
    I have all crafting maxed apart from cooking and alchemy on one character. Do hirelings give me materials on alts as well or is it a once per day account wide?Debating whether or not I should level crafting for hirelings on all my alts!
    Once a day per character. Head ache to jump between them.
    Gathering/farming: I remember farming runes and stuff in the open world and getting gold materials from reefing lumber/metal etc. I can't remember how you gather Lumber / ore etc anymore though... is that just open world as well looking for nodes?
    Do higher level Ores/lumber have a higher chance of getting gold mats from refining?
    Just outerworld, refining has non changing chance to get gold mats.
    Planning on subbing to get the newest expansion, do I need to buy the other ones I am missing or will subbing give me full access?
    Currently subbing will give you everything but elsweyr, when greymoor is out, it will be everything but greymoor. So until greymoor, you will lack the previous chapter.
    I left the game during the One Tamriel Update so I'm not fully aware of how jewlry crafting works. I don't see a skill tree with passives anywhere. how does that work? Also I know you can now farm the old sets that once were useless including the jewellery for max level, Can I upgrade the jewellery from say blue to purple and then from purple to gold now as well?
    Yes. But it is Uber pricey.
    I know it's a lot of questions, however it is so confusing coming back to a game after such a long time. I just want to focus on getting one build together and getting back into pvp, grinding cp (370 currently) and maybe starting on a pve build. Is refining mats and selling the golden mats still profitable? I remember being able to make a lot of money even just by farming the runes and getting the gold ones (Jota? lol can't remember the name)
    Close, kuta, and yes, still pretty nice.
    To whoever reads this wall of questions and answers anything: Thankyou very much!!!

Rip, PC EU is not very stable for the last few months.

ps: was really sad to see my Stamblade build was nerfed to the ground, seems like all of deltias' gaming old builds aren't viable anymore huh! spent over 300k on that build haha
    Meta changes :shrug:
    oh also: if someone makes me set in white. can I upgrade it myself to green, blue, purple gold etc myself?
    Yes you can!

• Tsunahmie
    Tsunahmie
    ✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    Tsunahmie wrote: »
    Crafting:
    I have all crafting maxed apart from cooking and alchemy on one character. Do hirelings give me materials on alts as well or is it a once per day account wide?Debating whether or not I should level crafting for hirelings on all my alts!
    Once a day per character. Head ache to jump between them.
    Just outerworld, refining has non changing chance to get gold mats.
    Currently subbing will give you everything but elsweyr, when greymoor is out, it will be everything but greymoor. So until greymoor, you will lack the previous chapter.
    Yes. But it is Uber pricey.
    Close, kuta, and yes, still pretty nice.

Rip, PC EU is not very stable for the last few months.

Meta changes :shrug:
    Yes you can!

Thankyou so much for the answers!
  • Rory_FightingToFifty
    Add’l answers:

Skill points: I don’t think there’s a set amount. The game is so big now that you can pretty much get sky shards for all needed points as you find you require them. Spend them freely...you can unlock everything you’d ever want to use. My stamblade dabbles in resto staff for no known reason.

Meta: alcasthq.com maintains current build guides and is a good resource for that sort of info.

Cyrodiil: it has been busy since the shut in crisis. It’s a bit different than it was when the game was newer...people are prone to running in circles now on my server, rather than any real strategy. I still have fun with it.

Must have skills: again, I’d refer you to Alcast for current builds, and it early depends on what you decide to run. The line you might look into is psijic...there are some decent skills in there that are used in various meta builds.

Must have weapons: many builds still use a master weapon...there are special weapons in maelstrom arena, halls of fabrication and dragon star arena. However, the necessity for these has fallen off a little since they changed 2h weapons to count as two items in the slot, meaning you can do a 5-5-2 setup with two complete sets and a complete monster mask set. This offers so many variations that I think most builds can find ways around master weapons.

Crafting

For alts? Crafting writs are still a really efficient source of income. If you’re going to use crafting alts, then hirelings will add some value. However, I only advise it if you’re subscribing and have a craft bag...inventory management is a pain without the craft bag. (I say this as someone who turns my sub off every other month since I don’t play every day any more).

Farming: you get ore, cloth, Wood, runes and alchemy items from nodes. Quick tip: under the current system, your character will see two “levels” of materials for the equipment mat nodes. One type is determined by their character level, the other by the number of skill points spent in the first passive of that line. In other words, if you spend 0 points in blacksmith, ore nodes will be iron half the time. If you spend one point, you get steel. The other half the time the type is decided by character level, so if you are a level fifty you see rubedite. Farming and refining can still be profitable if you enjoy doing that.

Subbing: the sub doesn’t open all zones. You get all DLC zones while your sub is active. You don’t get all of the chapter zones...chapters are Morrowind, summerset, north Elseweyr and the upcoming Greymoor. I think maybe the early chapters unlock with a sub now...it’s listed on the crown store page for ESO+ in game whether some are or not. Before you spend on a lot of chapters, check out the expansion pages for the various chapters. Paying for some of the chapters unlocks others, depending on which edition you buy. Like when I bought Summerset, it unlocked Morrowind for free.

Jewelry crafting: this is available ONLY when you unlock the Summerset chapter. Jewelry crafting is totally disabled for you pr characters until you have access to this. However, you can wear jewelry made/upgraded for you by other players. Likewise, the Warden class unlocks if you own Morrowind, and Necromancer if you own Elseweyr. I guess the Psijic skill line requires Summerset.

Making cash: farming mats is a good source of income. Also, the birthday event is coming. You can play the heck out of that event and collect as many motif pages as possible...then sell them on a guild store over the summer. Some cash making tips:

Lower level mats can be worth more. Like mid-level cloth is worth a fortune...things like linen. Do some research in guild stores and then consider spending the right number of skill points on your farm toon so you’re picking up the more valuable mats.

I make a fortune on daily provisioning writs, which are great because I can load alts up with stacks of the food and they’re good for months. However, top level writs aren’t the most valuable. I make a fortune by spending fewer than the max skill points (six?) in provisioning, and doing lower level writs. The reason this pays off is because the market is flooded with the recipes that max level writs reward, while the lower level ones are quite valuable. I sell purple recipes easily for $10k each, and blues for $3k. (I trash greens).

There are a ton of dailies all over the dlcs now that reward motifs. Some motifs are pretty valuable, some not so much. Find a list of motifs and where they come from, then check your guild stores and see which dailies are profitable to run. This is a great way to make cash and grind the champion points. For me...I stop on kvatch every time I grind to see if I get Roar of the Crowds, a world boss that usually takes four minutes.

And stamblades are still good. Thee have been ups and downs, but they’re still lethal AF.