The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Frost Staff and “spot”?

slayersamelia
slayersamelia
✭✭
I’ve been levelling a frost Mage warden for fun/casual and using a frost staff but without tri focus so I don’t taunt.

Hasn’t been a problem in any of the dungeons ive run so far (level 42 so far). Except in the last dungeon, one player kept going on about don’t use frost staff as it “spots” and I have no idea what he was on about?

Any ideas?
  • slayersamelia
    slayersamelia
    ✭✭
    I should say that I did point out I didn’t have tri focus, but he kept saying it “spots” over and over?

I did wonder if he meant crowd control, but he kept saying it when we were fighting bosses with no adds and they can’t be cc’d?

Just in case this comes up again, it’d be good to know what he was on about.

Cheers.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you heavy attack it taunts. Not sure what "spots" is
  • slayersamelia
    slayersamelia
    ✭✭
    The tri focus passive for destruction staff gives taunt to frost staffs. If you don’t have the passive then it shouldn’t taunt surely?
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ice staff does not taunt if you dont have Points in tri Focus that is correct.
    As for the "spots" it might have been a german Player with very bad english who doesnt know that "(ver)spotten" (german) translates to taunt and said "spots" because he thought that that was the english word for it?
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • slayersamelia
    slayersamelia
    ✭✭
    Ah cool, perhaps that was it then?

Should I start an instance by saying I don’t have the taunt ability on my frost staff? Not sure how to communicate that to non English speakers though?

It does seem like there’s some confusion around tri focus and frost staves though...
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ah cool, perhaps that was it then?

Should I start an instance by saying I don’t have the taunt ability on my frost staff? Not sure how to communicate that to non English speakers though?

It does seem like there’s some confusion around tri focus and frost staves though...

You can say it at the start, as Long as you dont actually steal agro (which you wont) you should be fine in most Groups without saying something but it doesnt hurt to say it at the start.
    As for communicating that to non english Speakers, there you are out of luck honestly since you might not speak their native language and they might not understand what you say.
    There are for sure People that dont know that you Need a passive for ice staff to taunt and they just associate ice staff heavy attacks with taunts without knowing better.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • slayersamelia
    slayersamelia
    ✭✭
    Yeah, once he started saying about spots, I spent a few encounters seeing if I could draw aggro, but I couldn’t take anything off the tank at all.

I’ll see how it goes from here, I’d rather not have to spend too many instances arguing about frost staves. I’d rather be having fun.
    Edited by slayersamelia on March 28, 2020 4:58PM
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    prime example of why the staff should be reworked.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I say don’t tell em nothing. A friend of mine wanted some kind of drop from some non DLC dungeon. I told him we should just 2 man it but he likes to use the dungeon finder so we grab a couple of pugs.

So, I’m a fake tank right or maybe a fake healer. I forget lol. But I’m on my MagDk, in PvP gear and YEAH I was using an ice staff.

So I’m in there killin thangs and healing people. Im not gonna let anybody die in a dungeon and feel bad if I can toss em a cauterize lol.

So at one point things go sideways and the two lil pugs get dropped. So I taunt the boss and put DAMAGE on that thang, while my pal rezzed the pugs so everybody would be alive and feelin fine when we killed the 💩 turd boss.

I think folks should try as much as they can to play the game and enjoy it and not be such sticklers. Live a little.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on March 30, 2020 9:27AM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My frost warden runs ice staff front and resto back. I have played tanks and know all about taunting and when my frost warden dps taunts, she fully means to do so. She's pretty durable and can self heal quite well so if a tank goes down or there is no tank, pulling the boss onto herself is much better than letting him run rogue (out of everyone's AoEs and chasing squishies). On the other hand, she has never ever pulled a boss off a real tank who is intentionally holding a boss - either in a dungeon or vs WB. It actually makes for a very flexible character when used on a magward and it is not hard to avoid taunting when you don't want to taunt.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo