Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

why is Roleplay not called Loreplay

Sergykid
Sergykid
✭✭✭✭✭
roleplay actually means playing by the roles, heal tank dd. It means sticking to the game formal roles into completing content, on an MMO level, technically and mechanically.
while loreplay means playing by the lore, what actually roleplay now means. You create your characters with his background story in mind, tied to ESO's lore.
-PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Certainly you can use the word "roleplay" to mean "play by the roles" ... but for most gamers, "roleplay" has it's origins in tabletop gaming and the term was used to differentiate playing/enacting a single "role" as opposed to running a group/army/troop.

Edit: Small edit for grammar

Edited by newtinmpls on March 28, 2020 7:16AM
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
    Options
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 'Role' in Roleplay and the 'Role' in the MMO archetype triangle do NOT refer to the same meaning of the word role.

RP stands for Role-play(ing), which is where members act as a character and make choices regarding their character's actions and dialogue, interacting with other people in a form of story. Characters are normally fictional and original, which means they're completely made up.

One is a game mechanic/concept(The Tank/Healer/Damage archetypes) the other is basically theatrics.
    The two uses of the word role are entirely separate and trying to compare the 2 concepts as if they are describing the same thing is an act of insanity.
    Edited by essi2 on March 28, 2020 10:00AM
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
    Options
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because words have multiple meanings.
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
    Options
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Roleplay is much more in-depth in actuality. If you want to really roleplay, when you create the character, you lay a background for the character, which includes attitudes, psychological makeup, emotional makeup, history explaining 'why' they are the way they are, etc. And they you take actions according to what the Character would do, rather than just doing whatever is the most beneficial for the character.

I played Minds Eye Theater for 13 years, which is live action role-play ( as in create a character, dress like the character, go meet with other people and play the characters face to face ). Those were some good years.

There can be some good roleplay in an MMO, but you are only really going to find it within guilds. The standard questing is going to be rather bland as far as the decisions you need to make. The actual RP choices are few and far between.

IMHO

:#
    Edited by barney2525 on March 28, 2020 10:47AM
    Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loreplay is not more accurate than roleplay. It is very possible to roleplay in the traditional sense with varying degrees of how closely one adheres to lore.

My character has been roleplaying and fiction writing in Nirn since 2007 and some of the lore she uses is her own, or what some call head canon.

The history of traditional roleplay predates the concept of random roles assigned by an MMO.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on March 28, 2020 11:37AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Options
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loreplay also wouldn't be an accurate description because not all people roleplaying in game use the games actual lore, but can also choose to use the games surroundings as a base to create entirely unique stories that don't even take the Elder Scrolls into account at all.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
    Options
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roleplay is used in many things to describe playing out stories and characters usually involved with creating a backstory and playing as your character or IC - in character. I've never roleplayed on ESO but I've been around other games with roleplayers.
    Options
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    rip even roleplayers can't do their role
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
    Options
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The roleplay, from role (expected behavior) + play (perform, act).
    Role stems from the latin "rotulus" which is a roll of parchment that was written on - for example the dialogue in a theatre play. If you are playing a role, then you are playing a character.

So I guess in ESO you could calle it scrollplay ;)
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because the term roleplaying, meaning actually pretending to be a character in a world acting out stories in a game has existed for decades and it's highly unlikely the thousands (possibly millions) of people around the world who use it are going to change it now simply because some ESO players think of another definition of role first.

As far as I'm aware this is the only game where this has been a problem and even then it seems to be a relatively recent thing. People have been talking about roleplaying in ESO, meaning giving your character a (lore appropriate) backstory, talking in character, acting out stories as a group etc. since the game was first announced. It's only in the last year or so I've seen people confusing roleplayers with new/inexperienced/just bad players and blaming 'fake tanks', incompetent DDs etc. on roleplayers and only in the last few months I've seen some people, possibly as a reaction or extension of that, trying to use roleplayer to mean someone who adheres strictly to a 'trinity' role. I've never heard roleplayer used that way in any other game, MMO, single-player, pen and paper or live action.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • 1mirg
    1mirg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    why is Roleplay not called Loreplay.
    the term "roleplay" is coined by these 2 words:
    • "Role"
    • "Playing"
    Now the reason why these two words are used instead of other words such as "lore" is because of what you are essentially doing, which is that you are "playing" out a "Role" that you otherwise are not capable of doing. (I.E. Playing as an Argonian pirate captain who also manages a brothel in Riften or whatnot) Now the reason why a decent number of players like to "Roleplay" outside of the obvious explanation of "immersing yourself in the world more" is because they wish to play out a certain role in the world which they otherwise will not be capable of doing due to the limitations in the game (I.E. you cannot swim underwater to even you cannot choose to NOT be the "chosen one" in this timeline and more.) that's why those types of players will then resort to playing out a role they otherwise won't be able to in the game unless typing out the life of such a role with the use of the /emote and /say functionalities, thus giving you a "roleplay" that looks and plays out like this instead of something like actually this.

So unless there is a game that essentially allows you to do and become whatever you want too without breaking immersion, which at this point in time I believe the closest thing to such a thing is 'BDO'... sadly. The term of "Roleplaying" will not change as that's still essentially what you are doing even though it might not feel like it from a first party perspective.

That is why, OP.
    Edited by 1mirg on March 28, 2020 1:14PM
    ┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤ ⅽ[ː̠̈ː̠̈ː̠̈] ͌ ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴
    Options
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Because lore is canon and unfortunately your story is not
    Options
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭

and what has this to do with it. You can also play around the lore, meaning you loreplay.

Loreplay also wouldn't be an accurate description because not all people roleplaying in game use the games actual lore, but can also choose to use the games surroundings as a base to create entirely unique stories that don't even take the Elder Scrolls into account at all.

even if you don't actually use the game's lore, even you creating your own lore you can still call it loreplay, not game'sloreplay but myownlore-play
    Options
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭

and what has this to do with it. You can also play around the lore, meaning you loreplay.

even if you don't actually use the game's lore, even you creating your own lore you can still call it loreplay, not game'sloreplay but myownlore-play

Sorry but roleplaying is way older than mmos or their predecessors muds. So you can't just change the meaning of a word because you have a problem with it when it has a longer established meaning that predates your little hobby.
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, for those playing by the MMO roles of tank, DD and healer a character is just a bunch of numbers and exchangeable without any regret whenever the meta is changing - that is not role play at all - that is number crunching.
    Options
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but roleplaying is way older than mmos or their predecessors muds. So you can't just change the meaning of a word because you have a problem with it when it has a longer established meaning that predates your little hobby.

i don't care to change the meaning of the word, and i am not affected by roleplayers in any way, not sure how you even assumed that, or why.

things change as time goes, new terms appear as old ones evolve. Back then it may have not overlapped with the actual mmo style playing by roles, but now it does. And while i do not have any problem with that, it was just an opinion that would now more accurately be called loreplay.
    Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Context..... can be useful. On the other hand deliberate misunderstanding means that people can certainly choose to ignore established usages, definitions and so on.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
    Options
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...roleplay comes more from the world of Theatre

In the performing arts industry such as theatre, film, or television, a casting (or casting call) is a pre-production process for selecting a certain type of actor, dancer, singer, or extra for a particular role or part in a script, screenplay, or teleplay.
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roleplay is playing a role in a story. Not a gameplay role. You're not roleplaying by just being a dedicated Tank in a dungeon.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [redacted]

I KNOW they won't let me get away with that here.... but where my mind went....
    Options
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    roleplay actually means playing by the roles, heal tank dd. It means sticking to the game formal roles into completing content, on an MMO level, technically and mechanically...
    Nope. Not really.
    I mean, look it up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing
    In pretty much ALL definitions of the term, it refers to playing a -role- in a (loosely or strictly defined) -story- one way or another, be it in computer games, pen&paper RPGs, in psychotherapy settings or naughty bedroom fun...
    And you don't get to rewrite the dictionary, language is detemined by the majority population using the term.

Playing the in-game job? That's just common sense, as much as some [ -censored, censored, oh, so censored- ] think it a "good trick" to mis-represent their job to get a quicker PUG queue pop... one of the reasons I dislike PUGing, and would much rather do dungeons with friends (if I had any that would ask me...)
    Edited by TheShadowScout on March 29, 2020 8:55PM
    Options
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    roleplay actually means playing by the roles, heal tank dd. It means sticking to the game formal roles into completing content, on an MMO level, technically and mechanically.

No. That is called "playing".
    Options
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    roleplay actually means playing by the roles, heal tank dd.

Not even remotely. You're literally the only person I've ever seen suggest such a thing.
    Options
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are riding a horse would that then become horseplay?
    Options
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to sound insulting, but i think this is a pointless discussion and it does not add anything constructive to the development and potential of ESO
    Options
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a new one. If you’re calling it roleplay when people choose roles in a dungeon then you’re going to inadvertently upset a lot of people lol. The average hardcore PVE player hates roleplayers and thinks they can’t play the game, so if you don’t even RP but identify yourself as a roleplayer because you’re a tank then good luck not getting kicked from groups I guess!

(By the way, I’m not insulting RP since it’s the only reason why I play the game. But considering how much the hardcore players love to harass and mock RP the concept of someone branding themselves as one while not even RPing just strikes me as funny. It’s like putting a kick me sign on your back without the fun of actually RPing!)
    Edited by bellatrixed on March 29, 2020 5:37PM
    ESO Roleplay | RP community for all factions/servers/platforms
    Options
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    while loreplay means playing by the lore, what actually roleplay now means. You create your characters with his background story in mind, tied to ESO's lore.

Don't listen to them too seriously, mate, you will never make them understand anything, it's just a waste of time. They think that only those who write stories, distinguish "in-character" and "out of character" actions, create backstories, give themselves some nonexistent titles and achievements that may contradict the lore and game mech, etc. are roleplayers. But those other who just create characters according to their views, take quests, fight in the dungeons and in the Alliance War, study and become educated mages, soldiers, merchants and crafters, any other role in that virtual world because of different reasons such as money, items, some in-game national interests of their race, who play according to their own views of what is good and bad, etc. are not considered to be roleplayers in spite we all play a massive roleplaying game.

I am a Dunmer Ordinator, an Almalexia's Hand, not because I've created a story about it, but because I wanted to become the one, I studied the game options on that matter, I completed a certain quest, I was named Her Hand by Almalexia herself, I earned a certain achievement, I spent much time to pick up certain dyes and to earn the certain motif to create armor in full accordance to all the lore books that state the requirements to it. In other words, I can prove my words of being an Ordinator to be true (at least today. Who knows if the things change it in future and, say, the base game dialogue changes). The same time, for example, I also fight for the Ebonheart Pact in Cyrodiil for all those citizens killed and lands ravaged in Morrowind and in Black Marsh by the Covenant and the Dominion. And for Alliance points of course ;). This is what I call roleplaying. Other guys become crafters, dungeon raiders (additionally taking positions of tanks, damage dealers, etc., as you said it), merchants and chefs - they are all roleplayers too.

I prefer to think we are all roleplayers here, but some of us are just taletellers, as I call them. I try to avoid them, because I've already met some of them, they tried to convince me in some things like their characters were some sort of, say, Ashlander ashkhans though it is impossible to become the one, or tried to explain their deeds as being "in-character". Stealing is considered to be a crime in both worlds, but to them it is their character who is a criminal in a virtual world, not the player who controls him. On the other hand, he might be a good man IRL, but I won't think good of him (not of his character) while we are in the game. I do not separate player's actions and words from the ones of his character due to obvious reason I've just mentioned. Anyway, I'm not the one to judge them, let them play whatever dream they wish to believe. Some stories they write can be really good, but ESO is not a book, it is a world though virtual and interactive where people communicate with each other and perform communal tasks the same way they do IRL. It is just a virtual world, so the roles, troubles and tasks are virtual and different. So don't let some of those taletellers make you believe in their "achievements" - it's just their own fiction inside an already fictious world created and working well in terms of lore without their private canon.
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on March 29, 2020 6:19PM
    Options