The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Serious question

darthgummibear_ESO
darthgummibear_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
For the purposes of proc'ing sealed writs, is it worth trying to learn all the gear traits on multiple characters, or should I just stick to collecting style pages/schematics?

Edit: For clarification I already have a maxed 9-trait crafter, just wanted to know if it was doing that more than once for a higher % of sealed writ drops.

Edit 2: After talking to one of my guilds about this, the general consensus is that the % even if it exists is so miniscule to make it not worth pursuing.
Edited by darthgummibear_ESO on March 23, 2020 7:47AM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You get so many trait stones (other than Nirncrux) that you might as well, though. Maybe not spend skill points on research if you don't have them to spare. Cost is trivial.
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    You get so many trait stones (other than Nirncrux) that you might as well, though. Maybe not spend skill points on research if you don't have them to spare. Cost is trivial.

It's more the time invested and just another thing to keep track of on a daily basis. I already wasn't looking forward to dealing with trait research on 8 more toons.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be very difficult to collect enough data to definitively state, because of the number of possibilities.

But, it appears that the base chance of a master writ is somewhere around 6-7% (for WW/BS/Clothing)

Learning all 9 traits, increases this by what it appears to be 2-3%

Learning all the motifs can increases this by upwards of another 7-8%

So, for the cost, learning the traits is one of the cheapest ways to increase the drop chances.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your purpose is to maximize the number of Master Writs collected, then you need motifs, rather than traits, on multiple characters.
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    It would be very difficult to collect enough data to definitively state, because of the number of possibilities.

But, it appears that the base chance of a master writ is somewhere around 6-7% (for WW/BS/Clothing)

So, for the cost, learning the traits is one of the cheapest ways to increase the drop chances.

The important thing with these numbers is whether they represent a step or a continuous peak. If 8 traits gets you nothing, but nine turns on an extra factor, then it's worth getting the extra.

We know that only complete motifs are counted, not pages/chapters, so it would not be surprising if traits work the same way. On the other hand, you don't have to learn all the motifs before increases start, which argues the opposite.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

I think the bigger question is what's the difference in Master Writ drops between 8 and 9 traits? If that 2-3% is linear learning 9 isn't that significant an improvement over 8.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said, I'm uncertain. The sheer number of possibilities limits doing testing on the scale needed to prove anything.

That said. ZoS has stated that the drop rates are tied to achievements. There is a specific achievement for learning nirnhoned (along with one for learning the 8 original traits). It's also likely that you don't need to be a "full" 9-trait crafter to get the full benefit. You simply need to learn each trait on one armor/weapon on each character. That can take a matter of hours, because the first trait you learn of each armor/weapon type only takes 6 hours to research (less with ESO+ and passives).

They do seem to be tied to individual achievements, and each motif has it's own achievement tied to it. And I suspect it is diminishing returns as you learn more motifs.

Such as...

1st motif learned increases drop chance by 1%
    2nd motif learned increases drop chance by 0.5%
    3rd motif learned increases drop chance by 0.33%

This would provide an upper bound on the benefit of learning a huge number of motifs, while still allowing for benefits to be gained and realized early on.

(Just to be clear, those numbers are a complete "educated" guess, not based on any actual data from changing motif knowledge on different characters, just the general "anecodal" evidence I've seen from doing a lot of writs over the past few years)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »

It's more the time invested and just another thing to keep track of on a daily basis. I already wasn't looking forward to dealing with trait research on 8 more toons.

Neither was I until I realized I could just refresh their research during my daily writ routine. And make sure every one of the toons researches the same thing at the same rate so you're always making a stack of the same thing to research and not tracking all the toons separately.
    And if you don't worry about too much time in between the end of research and starting another one, at some point you're only queueing more research every week or longer.
    Initially, though, you're probably doing it everyday unless you tunnel all traits on one line.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on March 23, 2020 10:19PM