Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Ambush

Heyzert
Heyzert
Soul Shriven
Hello,

As a stamblade I am quite frustrated right now because of ambush, especially because of the long animation which makes it fail very often.
Currently it seems like it works that way:
- Enemy locked, skill can be used
- animation start jump
- animation dagger sound
- enemy still here ? then jump, if not just stay in place

This is frustrating for 2 reasons: you see you character moving but not jumping and you even have a wrong sound (dagger sound) making you believe it worked...

This skill needs a rework so the jump occurs between animation start jump//animation dagger sound, and the dagger sound should only occur if the hit is a success.

Moreover, we should move even if the target moved away, even if we do not apply the debuff/damage.

This should make this skill on par with the others gap closing skills, and it does not change the skill in itself.

• Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It basically never fires for me. or it does the animation but doesn't jump me to my target.

I wish it would jump me to the target even if they got out of range by the time the animation completes its frustrating to the point I don't even want to slot it.
  • Heyzert
    Heyzert
    Soul Shriven
    Wow, I was not expecting it to be so bad for others...
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is exactly what you get when you make the position checks server-side.
    When a skill is doing a position-LOS check, you must take ping into account. After the ping duration the target isn't there anymore.
    Yesterday I had some interesting dueling where my dizzy animation was extended to 4-5 seconds because of slow server response time. We were teleported around because the server realised "you shouldn't be there, you must be HERE".
    It was a nice idea to make the position checks server-side because of vast cheating (duelled a stamsorc once where he landed 45 dizzies - every dizzy connected to my hitbox, meanwhile I only landed 12 surprise attacks in the same time). I always wanted they did that since cheating was getting out of hand - I also wished they made the resource pool management server-side, and thought the "trusted client" idea was dumb af. It appears that this called out some unpredicted consequences - where it does the job it is supposed to (check if the positions are right and if the hit is possible) but makes the game totally unplayable.
    I suggest stop trying to invent the wheel and make a mandatory anti-cheat software a thing. The load would then be on the players' PCs and the anti-cheat server, not the game servers.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave up on it. I use Critical Rush on my nb. Even better to combo it with Executioner. This combo works better than any NB skill tbh, which is a shame...
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ambush is absolutely garbage right now even the minor vulnerability it applies is easily cleansed by most classes. The skill needs to teleport you much faster than it currently does to even be worth slotting and also I would love if it would stun NPCs again that made the skill feel much more impactful before they butchered it with nerfs.
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've stopped using it, it fails most of the time on moving targets. Animation starts and then nothing.

It is a waiting game to see if you will teleport or not, there is no way to know.

If you do actually port after the inevitable delay just try to land an incap, that is likely to fail.

Just another nail in the NB coffin.
    Edited by martinhpb16_ESO on March 23, 2020 1:40PM
    At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be great if 50% of the starting animation was sped up like 100%... or the likes.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had the same problem, I switched to Flying Blades and have a better result.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    madman65 wrote: »
    I had the same problem, I switched to Flying Blades and have a better result.

You lose quite a bit going to flying blade from ambush.

The start up animation is delayed and the landing is delayed. It needs to be smoother and faster
  • Heyzert
    Heyzert
    Soul Shriven
    Given that they have a working algorithm for the other gap closer they should use it instead of staying with their bugging algorithm...
    They could change the "teleport" with a "jump" and use the "Take flight" gap closer algorithm

Nothing is more frustrating than not being able to use a skill because it is buggy
    It also gives a very bad impression about the quality of the game
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ambush is also a much worse skill than lotus fan... one charge of empower vs a beefy aoe dot...