The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PS4 homescreen lag>freezing>system software crash error.

SpiderKnight
SpiderKnight
✭✭✭✭✭
I have reason to believe that ESO is at fault. Ever since U25, my homescreen has been acting real laggy, it'll freeze and then sometimes crash my system. This only happens if I go to ESO app, hit dpad down to where overview is, and then it begins. I have tested this by starting up ps4, going to every single game and looking at the overview, every time I get to ESO is when it starts, none of the other games do this. I don't know what happened during install, but this is funked up. I saw on FB group someone mentioned something similar too, anyone else having this issue?? I have no issues in other games, I've mentioned in other threads that my performance has improved, but this is just something else...
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I uninstalled the game, I deleted all save data, rebooted and went to ps4 store. This freezing and crashing still happened as I was in the overview menu, I hadn't even pressed install yet!
    Can you please look into this? I know other people are having some similar issue.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    @ZOS_BillE

Why would this happen only on ps4 homescreen? No other issues in the game (besides normal lag and junk) , not even any other game has issues, so I know it is not my ps4 or sshd.
    I cannot even reinstall the game from my library, I have to search the game in the store and hit download.
    Edited by SpiderKnight on March 21, 2020 5:23AM
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH I had this same problem literally this week. Every recommended fix for this specific error didn't work. Rebuilt my database multiple times, power cycled, switched to digital copy of eso because even putting the disc in caused it to crash, etc. What finally worked was going into safe mode then clicking the update system software option. There's apparently some kind of bug where the ps4 doesn't properly install the latest system update or something, and it causes this error to happen. Have had no issues since, hopefully this works for you too!
  • Sense1367
    Sense1367
    I have the same problem.
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OH I had this same problem literally this week. Every recommended fix for this specific error didn't work. Rebuilt my database multiple times, power cycled, switched to digital copy of eso because even putting the disc in caused it to crash, etc. What finally worked was going into safe mode then clicking the update system software option. There's apparently some kind of bug where the ps4 doesn't properly install the latest system update or something, and it causes this error to happen. Have had no issues since, hopefully this works for you too!

That did absolutely nothing, still the same issue and ONLY with ESO. Crashed right away after looking at the game.
    It actually made it worse that I uninstalled and reinstalled, if the game is out of a folder, I start to lag and crash if I even hover over the game now.
    Edited by SpiderKnight on March 21, 2020 1:24PM
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also lagging on home screen after I go out of ESO. I've got a regular HDD.
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That did absolutely nothing, still the same issue and ONLY with ESO. Crashed right away after looking at the game.
    It actually made it worse that I uninstalled and reinstalled, if the game is out of a folder, I start to lag and crash if I even hover over the game now.

Damn that's a shame. I wonder what's causing this issue it's really weird.
  • Nova Sky
    Nova Sky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I, too, am having this issue, OP. Odd thing is, it started a few days after Update 25 was installed (along with 2.01).

Game seems to run fine once it's launched, but God forbid you scroll over the icon on the PS4's homescreen. It will lag the machine somehow, causing it to stutter. The actual launch process is slow as molasses, too, and you risk freezing your PS4 if you try to accept a PSN group chat invite while in ESO.

I've rebuilt my database, deleted ESO's local prefs and more, but the issue still persists.

This isn't cool, ESO. Please fix this, because if a game starts messing with my $400 PS4 Pro, I tend to get really defensive really quick.
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart."
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nova Sky wrote: »
    Yes, I, too, am having this issue, OP. Odd thing is, it started a few days after Update 25 was installed (along with 2.01).

Game seems to run fine once it's launched, but God forbid you scroll over the icon on the PS4's homescreen. It will lag the machine somehow, causing it to stutter. The actual launch process is slow as molasses, too, and you risk freezing your PS4 if you try to accept a PSN group chat invite while in ESO.

I've rebuilt my database, deleted ESO's local prefs and more, but the issue still persists.

This isn't cool, ESO. Please fix this, because if a game starts messing with my $400 PS4 Pro, I tend to get really defensive really quick.

After I reinstalled ESO, I noticed that having the game out of a folder was worse (there was no way to prevent the freezing or crashing when you select it) than what I originally had it-inside a folder with another game. I'm able to start the game without it being forced to load the details right away, hope that helps until they figure it out. Just never scroll down, and like you said, can't even accept invites, or hold ps button to do anything out of the game while it's running.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same, its weird. Like when I was trying to check my trophies it bugged out the whole system
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've noticed this, too. Was really starting to wonder what was wrong with my PS4 and I'm kind of relieved right now to see that other people are having the same issue.

Honestly, ZOS, this needs to be looked into and fixed as quickly as possible! Lagging in game is one thing - but once a game starts to negatively affect the whole system, just because it's installed on it, there is something seriously wrong and this is not acceptable! Will definitely uninstall permanently, if this doesn't revert back to normal very soon!
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• VampiricByNature
    VampiricByNature
    ✭✭✭✭
    My girlfriend and I both play and have the same issue on 2 ps4 Pros and our extra regular ps4. One of our friends can no longer use spotify while she plays eso because backing out of the eso app seems to generally destroy the ps4s ability to do anything.
    It can take forever to join a party and a lot of times attempting to do so crashes my game.
    There's something wrong between ps4 and eso. My homescreen is immensely laggy. I can't scroll over eso to easily buy crowns, look at trophies or even message people.
    I'm afraid it's going to damage my system, tbh. I'm trying to ride it out but it kind of makes it intolerable.
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep me too, last coupler days. My ps4 just went black and wouldnt run for a while yesterday.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup... same issue here. Getting in and out of party chat would literally freeze up my machine. I stream normally, but I'm not able to at the moment because the PS menu is SO super slow when playing ESO.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    For anyone experiencing this issue in ESO on their PS4, please go ahead and open a ticket with customer support to report the issue. This will help with getting this specific issue looked into further.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Hostee
    Hostee
    ✭✭✭
    I am also having this issue on my ps4 pro. I literally just formatted my entire ps4 cause I thought something was wrong with it. Then I found this thread lol. It even crashed my system software just trying to download eso from the ps store.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have reason to believe that ESO is at fault. Ever since U25, my homescreen has been acting real laggy, it'll freeze and then sometimes crash my system. This only happens if I go to ESO app, hit dpad down to where overview is, and then it begins. I have tested this by starting up ps4, going to every single game and looking at the overview, every time I get to ESO is when it starts, none of the other games do this. I don't know what happened during install, but this is funked up. I saw on FB group someone mentioned something similar too, anyone else having this issue?? I have no issues in other games, I've mentioned in other threads that my performance has improved, but this is just something else...

Have you held down the power button on the PS4 and have the system rebuild the database / defrage it? I do this after any game does an update on my system and I rarely have issues.
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you held down the power button on the PS4 and have the system rebuild the database / defrage it? I do this after any game does an update on my system and I rarely have issues.

Most, if not all, of us have done all troubleshooting. Myself and others have reported it's happening on the ESO download link even, so this isn't even an install issue. It does not happen with any other game or application either.
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    already submitted a report,not going into menus while eso running is a temporary solution for me
    Edited by method__01 on March 23, 2020 1:38PM
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• Sense1367
    Sense1367
    Bethesda customer service says to contact Sony customer service.
  • Hostee
    Hostee
    ✭✭✭
    Placing eso into a folder seems to decrease the lag when scrolling through your games menu.
  • bri5
    bri5
    ✭✭✭

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bri5
    bri5
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've noticed this, too. Was really starting to wonder what was wrong with my PS4 and I'm kind of relieved right now to see that other people are having the same issue.

Honestly, ZOS, this needs to be looked into and fixed as quickly as possible! Lagging in game is one thing - but once a game starts to negatively affect the whole system, just because it's installed on it, there is something seriously wrong and this is not acceptable! Will definitely uninstall permanently, if this doesn't revert back to normal very soon!

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!!
  • Sense1367
    Sense1367
    Hostee wrote: »
    Placing eso into a folder seems to decrease the lag when scrolling through your games menu.

The option doesn't seem to be the solution, but it looks like this will make the bug weaker. The PS4 no longer crashes directly.
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes i have experienced a Laggy Homescreen and even have crashed.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They seem to have fixed it, Gina posted in a different thread:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6672269#Comment_6672269
    Edited by Bobby_V_Rockit on March 24, 2020 10:39PM
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭

Didn't work for me. Still doing it on my ps4 pro. After the update from Zos to be clear I'm checking it now and it seems smooth again. If it changes I'll be back...
    Edited by Spartabunny08 on March 25, 2020 1:17PM