Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Give us the option of hide shield but keep the 1h shield skill line

nhisso
nhisso
✭✭✭✭
The animation for block and bash is already there for 1h weapons, so you dont have to do any thing but keep the stats based on what shield we are carrying and give us a hide shield option. It wont affect PvP because we already have an option to "transmog" our gear so no one knows if you have a bad ass weapon hidden behind the appearance youve chosen.

For the couple of shield skills in the 1h/shield line, it would just look like we are back handing enemies if we hid the shield. Which would be perfect for someone wanting to use 1h weapon without shield. It is immersion breaking that we HAVE to dual wield or have a visible shield. There are so many threads for 1h skill line requests, so this would allow us to keep the skill lines we have with minimal effort from the devs in regards to satisfying the request for 1h skill line. Come on. Please. lol.
Edited by nhisso on March 19, 2020 12:25AM
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know if you have noticed but ZO$ are not very good at things, so asking them to do a change like this would invite them to add in another bug/feature just so you can RP.

Before they add anything else they need to fix this sshow!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nhisso wrote: »
    It wont affect PvP because we already have an option to "transmog" our gear so no one knows if you have a bad ass weapon hidden behind the appearance youve chosen.

Can someone tell me how I can “transmog” my shield appearance to make it look like another weapon or anything not a shield??

Asking for a friend that does PvP ...

Edited by Taleof2Cities on March 19, 2020 12:41AM
  • nhisso
    nhisso
    ✭✭✭✭
    It wont affect PvP because we already have an option to "transmog" our gear so no one knows if you have a bad ass weapon hidden behind the appearance youve chosen.

Can someone tell me how I can “transmog” my shield appearance to make it look like another weapon or anything not a shield??

You can only switch the appearance of shield to shield.
  • DarkPicture
    DarkPicture
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no?
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All I want for S&B characters is the option to have the main hand weapon on my back under the shield like Link.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • nhisso
    nhisso
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stebarnz wrote: »
    I dont know if you have noticed but ZO$ are not very good at things, so asking them to do a change like this would invite them to add in another bug/feature just so you can RP.

They made hide helmet work just fine lol. And not all of us are having all these bugs.

This isnt solely for RPing, either. There is no reason for us to be stuck dual wielding or having a shield present.

Frankly, with the lie of "play your own way", you should be able to use a shield for a weapon in the 1h/shield line. Animations wouldn't need to change. Just dont know where your 2nd shield would go when sheathed lol.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    a character which just uses a shield for a weapon would be hillarious think of all the "Captain Tamriel" characters.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • LeeNordTank
    LeeNordTank
    ✭✭✭
    No. I like to show my shield !!!
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    WHEN CAPTAIN TAMRIEL THROWS HIS MIGHTY SHIELD, EVEN THE DAEDRA NEED TO YIELD
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LeeTemplar wrote: »
    No. I like to show my shield !!!

Bit fuzzy on the meaning of "option", aren't you?
  • Xologamer
    Xologamer
    ✭✭✭✭
    The animation for block and bash is already there for 1h weapons, so you dont have to do any thing but keep the stats based on what shield we are carrying and give us a hide shield option. It wont affect PvP because we already have an option to "transmog" our gear so no one knows if you have a bad ass weapon hidden behind the appearance youve chosen.

For the couple of shield skills in the 1h/shield line, it would just look like we are back handing enemies if we hid the shield. Which would be perfect for someone wanting to use 1h weapon without shield. It is immersion breaking that we HAVE to dual wield or have a visible shield. There are so many threads for 1h skill line requests, so this would allow us to keep the skill lines we have with minimal effort from the devs in regards to satisfying the request for 1h skill line. Come on. Please. lol.

first i want a option to ,,hide tabard)
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They made hide helmet work just fine lol. And not all of us are having all these bugs.

This isnt solely for RPing, either. There is no reason for us to be stuck dual wielding or having a shield present.

Frankly, with the lie of "play your own way", you should be able to use a shield for a weapon in the 1h/shield line. Animations wouldn't need to change. Just dont know where your 2nd shield would go when sheathed lol.

There is a reason to be stuck dual wielding or having a shield present. It's in the names lol

Play your own way means choose a race and a class and go have fun. It doesn't mean we'll bend the game be cause 1 person really needs to larp
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Play your own way also means come up with your own builds, or we would not have the ability to wear any armor, use any weapon, or choose skills.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be easier to just reskin a shield into a small forearm guard. Then that style good be used over a shield. That way a bash would look like a left hook.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d prefer a new “duelist” weapon line that uses just a 1h weapon and that’s it.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can only switch the appearance of shield to shield.

While equipping only one one-hand weapon activates the S&B skill line I expect Zos is very interested in having the shield visible so it is clear what skill line is being used. I say this because it is probably deliberate that we cannot display a 2H sword via the outfit station if we have a staff equipped. I also think
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give us the option of hide shield but keep the 1h shield skill line
    SeparateScalyAmericanbobtail-size_restricted.gif
    It makes pretty much zero sense. What's next, "give us bow skills, but the option to hide the bow?" Or how about "give os two-hander skills, but with an option to look like we are blowing kisses at our opponents", hmmm?

Of course, adding some "shields" that are small would be a viable option. Very small. More like an oversized armguard then a shield... that I could see maaaybe happening - though I'd dislike it, as a shield ought to look like its meant to properly protect... so the current "small" ones are the smallest we should ever get IMO.
    Starlock wrote: »
    I’d prefer a new “duelist” weapon line that uses just a 1h weapon and that’s it.
    Well, I have my own issue with that as well, because traditionally all the "duellist" stuff was -only- for honor duels and ill-prepared warriors defending themselves when caught during a time when they weren't really expecting trouble...

Throughout history, Everyone who went into battle prepared wanted to do something with their offhand, be it a shield for more blockin', a offhand weapon for more hurtin', a two-handed grip for more power, a ranged weapon (be it throwing knife or flintlock pistol) for taking out an enemy before melee combat... everyone.

Well, except maaaaybe sailors but only because they often needed the free hand to hold onto the riggin' as to not be swept down to davy jones locker. And they still often had a knife they just clenched between their teeth of so myth has it while grabbing the riggin' and then took it when the fightin' started. Might have caused some injuries there...

But even the duelling happy musketeers liked to grab a main-gauche with their offhand outside of honor duels. That's a whole -range- of weapons purpose-made for just that. Or wrap their cloak around their offhand for a makeshift shield. Or wave it in an opponents face to blind them during a fight. (Yeah, those were actually part of the tricks taught in fencing schools at those times)

Now, a new weapon skill line along some of that... "One-handed and Ranged" where you keep the two "one-handed" skills from S&B and add three "throwing weapon" skills you can choose just not to slot (and at least one "throwing weapon motiv" that isn't visually obviousl, like, say, shuriken?) for that "duellist" feel...

But... been there, posted that: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/371862/additional-weapon-skill-ideas-mk-ii/p1 ;)
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want my fire destro to look like i have S/B and i fire off my LA/HAs and spells from my eyes.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an ice mage warden who loves fighting WBs. A shield on another player (and/or 3 glowy floating balls) is a very valuable cue that there is a tank around and helps her determine use of her ice staff. If she does not see a tank, she will often taunt the boss herself rather than trying to hit him as he chases squishies all around. Now, regardless of weaponry, if there is another player clearly and successfully face-tanking the boss she will not taunt. Or if a player runs in and taunts the boss away from her she will not retaunt. So though it is not a big deal, showing the type weapon in use is helpful.

Same applies to the unique idle of a healing staff that helps identify a likely healer among a gaggle waiting for a WB or dolman to pop.

Though I solo, there are often other players around and I've gotten pretty good at reading clues about what their abilities will be when a boss fight starts. This includes noting their PvP creds, shield, melee, staff, use of high level pets/costumes on low level character (meaning experienced player with new char), etc.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.

A shield is a sign of a warrior.

Being issued with a single sword means your army sees you as fodder.

Be proud of your shield. Ebonheart shield FTW.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A shield is a sign of a warrior.
    Ancient cultures would agree with you on that...
    Spartan-Quotes-motivational-famous-Best-Movie-Sparta-300-Athens.jpg
    ;)
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A helm isnt used to block, which blocking is broke enough the S+B is used in a mechanic a helm isnt.

The risk of breaking block or animations or anything even more is not worth it purely for aesthetics.
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i thought of this when i saw the new grave robber costume.. the shield clips into the backpack. :/
    i would like an option to hide it
    PC EU
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    snoozy wrote: »
    i thought of this when i saw the new grave robber costume.. the shield clips into the backpack. :/
    i would like an option to hide it

That went well last time they tried 😬