Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

I'm sick of everything going into the crates

darthgummibear_ESO
darthgummibear_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
I already pay for a subscription, and occasionally buy crowns if I see something I really want. I categorically refuse to get suckered into the gambling boxes, especially as an already paying customer. It's a disgusting and manipulative business practice.

If an entire line of content is crate-only, then as far as I'm concerned there is no new content which devalues the money I'm already spending.
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to be that guy but... lets get cereal.

Gacha mechanics/loot boxes/crates should be banned, imo. They have no place in the gaming world. Its gambling (lets be honest), and kids play this game (see how technically sticky that is?). Kids aside, its just a greedy practice in general. That's why other countries have started banning various forms of "loot crates" and the general idea of real life currency being used to essentially gamble for in-game content. How has everyone basically gotten away with it? Loop holes: In game currencies, and the option to buy said currencies... its a very dishonest model.

i.e. EA and the Battlefront 2 disaster (loot boxes). They got rid of them (good riddance). Why? Because enough people voiced their disgust with EA's greedy plot. Not being dramatic lol. Basically what happened.

Ugly truth: maybe thats why this game is still supported, all the cashflow from gambl- I mean crates.

That being said... love this game (and will probably always support Elder Scrolls), and there's great crown store content, I often find myself browsing it even when I don't have crowns to spend, and that's the point. Give us more of that. Palpable content we can lust over, and eventually gladly throw money at lmao.
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you. I would be willing to spend more crowns if I could get what I want. But I guess the few whales outpay the majority of players since they keep doing it.

I would like the new skin from. The crates, but there's no way in hell I'm paying 200 usd or more for a skin while I got a full load of potions that yields me a total on 10 gems per crate.

At least I save my money while some whale spend their whole life savings on skins and mounts.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gacha mechanics/loot boxes/crates should be banned, imo. They have no place in the gaming world. Its gambling (lets be honest), and kids play this game (see how technically sticky that is?). Kids aside, its just a greedy practice in general.

I'm not going to mention the other stuff since I doubt there's many that likes loot boxes, but I felt like pointing out that ESO is rated mature. Kids shouldn't be playing it.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Wishingstaff
    Wishingstaff
    ✭✭
    I do agree, I would prefer to be able to buy apex mounts and crate trapped items with crowns.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that's your stance, you don't pay real money for Crown Crates, @darthgummibear_ESO.

If the cosmetics contained within them are that important, have someone gift you the crates using in-game gold.

All the crates I've ever received are either by gifting or free from events ...

Edited by Taleof2Cities on March 19, 2020 1:33AM
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that's your stance, you don't pay real money for Crown Crates, @darthgummibear_ESO.

I don't buy crates period...that was the whole point.
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gacha mechanics/loot boxes/crates should be banned, imo. They have no place in the gaming world. Its gambling (lets be honest), and kids play this game (see how technically sticky that is?). Kids aside, its just a greedy practice in general.

I'm not going to mention the other stuff since I doubt there's many that likes loot boxes, but I felt like pointing out that ESO is rated mature. Kids shouldn't be playing it.

Have you ever worked at a game store? Because you need to open your eyes to what kids actually play now a days lol That is a parenting issue. That's almost another loop hole: so long as it's rated for adults... don't mind any of the parents who don't know what their kids are spending money on.

[edit: when I say kids, I just mean under 18 years old in general. Seriously... as a clerk all you are required to do is ask "are you aware these are rated M for mature" and that's that! It's sad how often I would have parents come through my line and throw a pile of M games on the counter, when their kid is maybe 12... they do not need to be playing GTA!!!]

Regardless of le chillren, the point stands: its greedy, and dishonest. Micro transactions are one thing (and for a while used to be reasonable *cough* thanks Candy Crush *cough*) but crates and the like are a whole other beast that never should have been unleashed.
    Edited by Scion_of_Yggdrasil on March 19, 2020 9:22PM
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If the cosmetics contained within them are that important, have someone gift you the crates using in-game gold.

All the crates I've ever received are either by gifting or free from events ...

That doesn't actually matter - since there's no way to be gifted crates without someone spending money to get them to you, anyone genuinely opposed to them would have to refrain from buying entirely. Otherwise, the practice of putting everything in crates is still encouraged. 'Cause $$$.

Personally, I buy crates now because of the "trash" items. The tripots and foods are on par with craftable items now, so if there's something I'm fishing for, the consumables become a boon for my alts. Since everyone wants to jack up the price of flowers by eight trillion dubloons these days and all. Ahem. Anyway. The riding skill books are useful, the soul gems go into charging my weapons, and mimic stones can be used to cheese crafting style items. The only things I don't use are xp scrolls, but those give the best return on gems, and I then spend the gems on stuff I didn't pull.

If only they'd come out with stuff I want to fish for.... A pink/purple season would be nice for two or three of my characters. Just saying. Style is the real endgame.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • Caelc
    Caelc
    ✭✭✭
    i am not seeing anything in those crown crates that speak to me. The only one is the mushroom but 40gems is a bit ridiculous for a small item like that. it really should have been a large cluster of them.
  • Caelc
    Caelc
    ✭✭✭

Have you ever worked at a game store? Because you need to open your eyes to what kids actually play now a days lol That is a parenting issue. That's almost another loop hole: so long as it's rated for adults... don't mind any of the parents who don't know what their kids are spending money on.

Regardless of le chillren, the point stands: its greedy, and dishonest. Micro transactions are one thing (and for a while used to be reasonable *cough* thanks Candy Crush *cough*) but crates and the like are a whole other beast that never should have been unleashed.

there does need to be a reckoning on some practices in the games industry as a whole. I know costs of creating a game are much higher so i really do not mind non predatory microtransactions - not pay to win. i understand it is needed to keep prices of games down. But the predatory stuff needs to be reigned in.
    give me good content, good dlc, good additions to the game and i will gladly support it. Keep overpricing things, gambling and predatory type additions - i will take my money to a game that earns my money
    Edited by Caelc on March 19, 2020 6:32PM
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way things look to me the last year or so is that the game isn't doing as well as they'd like. Is it doing well enough, sure, but because of tricks and gimmicks.

They have to trick players into doing content by doing things like releasing motifs and not telling people about a cooldown on drops. Or having events. And lately making event RNG drops even worse. All things that trick/force players into playing boring content that they normally ignore.

Same with cosmetics. They apparently cannot support the game by just making quality cosmetics and selling them and have to resort to gambling to squeeze the most out of things.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think ESO puts items in the scam boxes just to support the game. It seems to be a gaming trend that is very profitable.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They removed Auroran Knight costume just to immedieately put it in crates, for 100 gems on top of that. Absolutely bizarre. I know they need to pad out crates but at least let things build up a demand by being absent for some time before putting them in scam crates.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caelc wrote: »

there does need to be a reckoning on some practices in the games industry as a whole. I know costs of creating a game are much higher so i really do not mind non predatory microtransactions - not pay to win. i understand it is needed to keep prices of games down. But the predatory stuff needs to be reigned in.
    give me good content, good dlc, good additions to the game and i will gladly support it. Keep overpricing things, gambling and predatory type additions - i will take my money to a game that earns my money

Ahhh I remember the days when you purchased a game and all the content was already included! You just needed to unlock it.

Reasonable micro transactions and in-game purchases = a symbiotic relationship between game companies and players :D
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would much prefer knowing what I am paying for. If I want to pay 3000k crowns for a mount I will do that. I think Zos woyld benefit more if peoole could actually buy what they want. Spending real life money on stacks of potions in not a good thing especially when you use crafted ones anyway. Why are crown foods and potions even a thing?
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish EU would have guts to ban the gambit boxes.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49674333
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it is getting more and more like that.

Even certain non-statue furnishings are ending up in crates.

I just have to pass, because I am not paying (or even using my ESO+ Crowns) for crates I don't want the apexes from.

I won a couple of apexes that I don't use and can't cash in/trade for others/give away, when I first came back and it just feels like a waste.

Also, the crate furnishings are generally overpriced for what they are.
    Edited by Tigerseye on March 20, 2020 2:44PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would much prefer knowing what I am paying for. If I want to pay 3000k crowns for a mount I will do that. I think Zos woyld benefit more if peoole could actually buy what they want. Spending real life money on stacks of potions in not a good thing especially when you use crafted ones anyway. Why are crown foods and potions even a thing?

Well, you can cash them in for gems, via gem extraction, of course.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have no place in the gaming world. Its gambling (lets be honest), and kids play this game (see how technically sticky that is?).

The loot boxes may be gambling, but gambling is gaming.
    i.e. EA and the Battlefront 2 disaster (loot boxes). They got rid of them (good riddance). Why? Because enough people voiced their disgust with EA's greedy plot. Not being dramatic lol. Basically what happened.

Not happening here, with this game. If ZOS could not get people to buy, and they do that by dangling Gem-only items in front of us, then they would do something else. People are buying Crown Crates.
    I don't buy crates period...that was the whole point.

I support and endorse this sentiment. Just say NO to Crown Crates.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    The way things look to me the last year or so is that the game isn't doing as well as they'd like. Is it doing well enough, sure, but because of tricks and gimmicks.

They have to trick players into doing content by doing things like releasing motifs and not telling people about a cooldown on drops. Or having events. And lately making event RNG drops even worse. All things that trick/force players into playing boring content that they normally ignore.

Same with cosmetics. They apparently cannot support the game by just making quality cosmetics and selling them and have to resort to gambling to squeeze the most out of things.

Honestly, most of their Crown Store offerings just aren't that commercial.

They just aren't that pretty/striking to the average person.

The female costumes are either not sexy, at all - prim, or utilitarian costumes, and corsets that make your char's waste look bigger, rather than slightly smaller, for example.

Or, very occasionally, they're overly sexy, in the sense of narrowing your char's waste (if they show midriff) and blowing up her breasts, like balloons...

When you think of what they could potentially sell, in terms of multiple outfits, hairstyles and other cometics, if they were done right and yet, they rarely add anything new.

...and when they do, they are often minority interest and/or stuck in a Crown Crate, often with more minority interest stuff.

They could sell far more than they do, especially if items were reasonably priced and sold directly.

I think the recent Dibella Bouquets demonstrate that people are willing to buy (multiple) things that are pretty (or otherwise striking) and versatile, if the price is right.

Also, they don't link purchases, with each other, like they could.

For example, by adding some customisable vendor/bank NPCs, which you could then dress in a certain outfit (maid, chef, blacksmith etc.) to put in your house.

They also seem reluctant to make houses more functional/fun/potentially profitable for the player, in terms of clawing back some of the gold from their high purchase and furnishing costs, thus seriously limiting their appeal.

Then, in addition to this, they have made some seriously, seriously bad rookie mistakes...

For example, by making a totally plain Senche Tiger mount an exclusive reward, right at the start of the game and either giving the players the idea - or not dissuading them of the idea - that there would never be another tiger mount.

You never, ever, do that...

Any exclusive rewards/offerings (in games, or not) always have to be on the basis of there being something very special and unique about them.

So, a tiger, with a specifically Japanese sounding name, in Japanese armour, for example.

All that prevents you from releasing, in future, is a tiger with that exact name and armour.

It doesn't make it harder for you to release just any tiger at all, without complaints, like releasing a plain Senche Tiger with no specific name does.

Having said that, they don't seem to care about releasing a dressed-up monkey, when a plain looking version was released as a Beta reward.

Or endless iterations of the mudcrab, a plain-looking version of which was also sold as an "exclusive", at launch, before ending up in the Crown Store!

So, you have to wonder how logical any of this actually is...

It's still a ridiculous waste of an opportunity to never release another tiger - even one with a specific name and a different base model (like a Bengal) - just because you made a rookie mistake 5 years ago.
    Edited by Tigerseye on March 20, 2020 4:05PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that's your stance, you don't pay real money for Crown Crates,

This is splitting hairs since it costs real money, one way or another, to get crowns in the first place.

To OP, while this thread might be useful to vent your rage there is a poll Zos takes every month to gauge how much players like the crown crates and other items sold in the crown store. That revenue speaks louder than any thread someone can create.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    If that's your stance, you don't pay real money for Crown Crates,

This is splitting hairs since it costs real money, one way or another, to get crowns in the first place.

To OP, while this thread might be useful to vent your rage there is a poll Zos takes every month to gauge how much players like the crown crates and other items sold in the crown store. That revenue speaks louder than any thread someone can create.

Only if they are comparing it with the amount they could, potentially, otherwise make if they upped the quality, quantity, variety and (sometimes) value of their Crown Store direct offerings.

Which, of course, they can't, because they haven't gone that route.
    Edited by Tigerseye on March 20, 2020 4:19PM
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

Fruit is to Apple as Gaming is to Gambling. Please keep your oranges out of the apple basket, lest people start thinking dogs meow and cats bark.

You're comparing 2 different markets/industries linked by the definition of an umbrella term. Technically, gambling is a form of gaming, but ESO isn't a casino...

Toy stores and gun stores are basically the same, right? They're both stores...
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

Which could end up costing 150.000 crowns depending on your luck instead of the usual 3 to 5000 crowns
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

Fruit is to Apple as Gaming is to Gambling. Please keep your oranges out of the apple basket, lest people start thinking dogs meow and cats bark.

You're comparing 2 different markets/industries linked by the definition of an umbrella term. Technically, gambling is a form of gaming, but ESO isn't a casino...

It is not me that has combined the two markets. That was actually yours.

The loot boxes in this game, Crown Crates, do not meet the legal definition of gambling in any significant jurisdiction that has come to my attention. If you want to broaden the definition of Gambling to include Crown Crates so that you can say that they don't belong in games, then your Apple basket already has Oranges in it. There are tons of games that include a broader definition of gambling, played by people of all ages, in too many countries for me to count.

Do I want Crown Crates in the game? No. I am a charter member of PAWS, which lost that battle years ago. Do I want Crown Gem exclusive stuff in the game? No. That battle isn't even worth fighting. That is not a hill that the players can take. These things are not even hills. More like mountains.

I don't want them in the game, not because they are a form of gambling, or because they prey upon people who are sensitive to such things, but because I am opposed to revenue generating streams that are disconnected from the product that they are selling. When enough revenue comes from loot boxes, they could become the reason for the studio to exist, not the games. The studio cares less about the game revenue stream than the loot box revenue stream. The game becomes nothing more than the hook, and only needs to be good enough to attract enough loot box buyers. The loot boxes will do the rest.

Some may argue that ESO has already reached that point and that performance issues are a prime exhibit in the case against ZOS. They might be right, but I actually think it is the opposite. For me, it was Elsweyr, and now Greymoor. The Greymoor hype burned out really fast. Barely even smouldering. The only people that are fanning the Greymoor flames right now are #ESOFAM, and it is really sad to watch.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    mikejezz wrote: »
    Tigerseye wrote: »

Which could end up costing 150.000 crowns depending on your luck instead of the usual 3 to 5000 crowns

Well, yes, it could.
    Edited by Tigerseye on March 21, 2020 3:08PM
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love cosmetics, and would buy a lot, but all I want is no longer available, or in the damm crates, wich I refuse to buy (and are anyways also unavailable, like dwarven ones). So I have lots of crown from ESO plus and nothing to spend them in.
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you want radiant apex stuff its all achievable, just run Twitch with sound off in the background on an ESO streamer with drops enabled while you play. Get the free daily oroboros crate consumables and convert them into 5-8 gems. I get about 100gems a month that way (log in every day to do crafting dailies), every 3 months a new crate pack comes out and i buy the stuff I want for gems.
  • Cerotonin
    Cerotonin
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed the Auroran Knight is now purchasable in crown gems. In a way, the price of it went up because you have to gamble more crates to get it (100 gems in comparison to the previous 2000 crowns/1600 crowns with ESO+) or who knows, the RNG may be kind.
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed the Auroran Knight is now purchasable in crown gems. In a way, the price of it went up because you have to gamble more crates to get it (100 gems in comparison to the previous 2000 crowns/1600 crowns with ESO+) or who knows, the RNG may be kind.

This is another issue I've noticed lately. They keep taking way stuff that has been on the store for direct purchase just to shove it into the crates.