The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question regarding crafting and change of main

mikejezz
mikejezz
✭✭✭✭
So when I first started out my main was a nightblade, I've learned so many motiffs on him.

However, I really like my necromancer, which is now my new main.

But I should still continue to learn motiffs etc. on my Nightblade even though I will primarily play on my necro, right? Especially crown motiffs.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Motifs are Account Wide thru the Outfit Station, but if you want to craft in that motiff, it has to be on the character that learned it.

It is good to have a Dedicated Crafter as it takes 130 to 140 or more skill points just to max out crafting.

Crafters do not even have to be deadly now as Attunable crafting stations in guild halls has removed the danger.
    Edited by Nestor on March 16, 2020 7:27PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its depends on whether you care about:
    A. Convenience of being about to craft all the motifs on a single crafter without having to guess which one knows which.
    B. Getting and doing Master Writs. First, your chance of getting master writs as rewards increases with motif knowledge. Second, you have to be able to craft a particular motif in a particular trait. So unless your new main is also going to learn all the traits, they might be unable to do master writs even if they know the motif.
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Motifs are Account Wide thru the Outfit Station, but if you want to craft in that motiff, it has to be on the character that learned it.

It is good to have a Dedicated Crafter as it takes 130 to 140 or more skill points just to max out crafting.

Crafters do not even have to be deadly now as Attunable crafting stations in guild halls has removed the danger.

But it can still be a bit of a hazzle to switch chars just to craft gear right? Or is it not that common?

But still, my Nightblade doesnt have nearly enough skill points to master all professions, but he just has so many motiffs (not from the crown store however), so it would be stupid to change to my necro.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I craft gear for myself about every blue moon, ok every few months. I do Master Writs every 3 months during experience boosting events.

I batch Potions and Foods and store them in the bank.

Crafter Swapping does not happen all that often. Are you sure you do not have 130 SPs? Or is this one of those Stamina Characters where you kind of ignore the Classes?

You are overlooking the time it took you to learn all those traits.....please tell me you have been researching traits!
    Edited by Nestor on March 16, 2020 7:46PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I craft gear for myself about every blue moon. I do Master Writs every 3 months during experience boosting events.

You are overlooking the time it took you to learn all those traits.....please tell me you have been researching traits!

Its not the traits thats my problem, its my loss of motiffs, or complication of motiffs if I change over.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much this. I have one character that learns all the motifs. Every other character can craft food and potions which is for the sake of convenience.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikejezz wrote: »
    I craft gear for myself about every blue moon. I do Master Writs every 3 months during experience boosting events.

Its not the traits thats my problem, its my loss of motiffs, or complication of motiffs if I change over.

@Nestor is right though ... I craft gear once every blue moon myself.

And, learned outfit styles are account-wide.

So, crafted motifs only have a bearing on:

1. Crafting your gear (which is not often) ... to avoid the gold sink or outfit tokens associated with the Outfit System.
    2. Crafting gear for another player if that player doesn't have a specific motif style.
    3. Motif knowledge is a positive modifier for master writ drops. So, the more motifs learned on a character, the better your chance for master writ drops.

So, I would say go ahead and change. And, keep your Nightblade for crafting.
  • Wandering_Immigrant
    Wandering_Immigrant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep your nightblade as crafter. IMO collecting motifs is the hardest part of leveling a crafter. Sure research is a time investment, but there's no RNG involved, no cost, and doesn't even really need to be monitored much as once you get farther along in it you'll only be interacting with it every few weeks. Motif collecting takes time + gold, and if you're lucky a little RNG.

You're not going to be swapping back and forth as often as you think, I have a dedicated crafter-only character, she takes care of herself + multiple characters and only needs to long in once a day to do it, most of the time to take care of her own needs.

You've already decided to try a new class, you might want to try another in the future, so might as well settle on one as a master crafter now. And NB is the perfect class for the role as they can easily sneak around the world to do the things you'll eventually need to do like skyshards hunting, survey maps, getting to open world craft stations whatever else they need to do without being slowed down by enemy attacks.
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I'm remembering correctly, Crown-only styles do not have associated achievements, and achievements are what matter in terms of contributing to that character's chance of getting master writs as a reward. So in theory, it should not matter which character originally learned any of those three particular styles -- they pretty much only exist for the outfit system at this point (nobody is crafting in those styles, especially because master writs don't ask for them).
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More