The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Is Expansion worth it? Prices getting out of hand.

Adam_Chattaway
Adam_Chattaway
✭✭✭✭
I'm sat here looking at the new expansion at £33 and £55 for deluxe and am starting to really dislike the ESO model now. Not only are we paying more than full price for an Expansion but this does not include all the dungeon dlc etc that we must buy or sub for before and after launch, craft bag is a must have and it locked behind a sub so we're not only subbing but having to buy dlc on top of expansion which lets face it do NOT feel like expansions but more like a free WoW DLC update. Look how small and lacking in content every expansion has been compared to any other major mmo with a £30 expansion. And on top of all this they are putting the best content behind loot boxes which cost an insane amount and crowns which are becoming more and more used and items becoming more expensive on top of that they have the cheek to sell collectors DLC packs with mounts and pets... seriously i think i just realised how much of a utter scam this game is now. And people complain having to sub to games like FFXIV or WoW for only £10 a month. It's just starting to feel like one mega rip off.
I was once Banned for making a game criticism. Think about that.
  • NerfBosmer
    If you sub for craft bag you have access to the DLCs as well, just not expansion. So it's not as expensive as it looks unless you want permanent access to those DLCs.

It's not worth it for me personally, but YMMV. I'm not a fan of the whole gory gothic theme so this is the 2nd marketing year dud for me after Elsweyr.
    The only person I know who could ruin a DK in any role!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no content in the lootboxes, just cosmetics.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Adam_Chattaway
    Adam_Chattaway
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

And? all of those mounts and outfits should be earned in game not cost thousands of real money on top of everything else we pay. You sub to give them money to make content to then lock behind a pay wall. You buy an expansion to have the dungeons as dlc you must buy or sub to use, and if you sub you don't get the CE forcing you to go without the stuff or buy it twice.
  • Ardan147
    Ardan147
    ✭✭✭✭

And? all of those mounts and outfits should be earned in game not cost thousands of real money on top of everything else we pay. You sub to give them money to make content to then lock behind a pay wall. You buy an expansion to have the dungeons as dlc you must buy or sub to use, and if you sub you don't get the CE forcing you to go without the stuff or buy it twice.

You also don't need any of that cosmetic stuff (even if it is nice to have, at least some of it).

I haven't even pre-ordered Greymoor yet (though I will at some point). Haven't even decided if I really want whatever extra goodies come with the CE version (but leaning towards no).
    This creature called a songbird. What a devious creation! This winged nuisance erodes sanity with its incessant chirping. What a brilliant form of torture!
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest I was expecting Greymoor to be pricier than the rest because it's targeting Skyrim nostalgia players who worshiped that game.
    I would also point out BFA was 50$ USD so the conversion rate puts that at 39.37 PS at the time of release which I believe is the currency you've chosen. So it wasn't 30 as you claim. I'm not disagreeing with you I just prefer actual facts over false ones.
    On average though if each new zone DLC (2000) and dungeon DLC (1500 x 2) + chapter ($40 for digital upgrade. $60 for buying the full game if you didn't already own ESO) then we see a total of ($1 per 100 crowns) $90 if you owned ESO prior and $110 if you didn't. Since the sub isn't required (just frustrating to play without) that's not the worst price in the world average to $27.5 a month if you could clear the content in that time... which most people can so it's about half price of a AAA game per month not the worst I've seen.

Since we compared it to WoW I'll go ahead and break that down.
    BFA Release - August 14th, 2018.
    First Raid - September 11th, 2018.
    Second Raid - January 29th, 2019.
    Third Raid - April 23rd, 2019.
    Fourth Raid - July 16th, 2019.
    Fifth Raid - January 28th. 2020.

Since these are split into various months on purpose to enforce subscriptions we can see how this affects their income.
    BFA required a 49.99 payment to get the expansion. Since you subscribe in months we will assume 1 sub per month required to meet minimum content ingestion.

6 major release dates = $90. BFA itself is 49.99 = total price of $140. This is assuming you can clear every raid to your own personal standard within a single month of it's release and not having any extra subs.

But yeah we can see their pricing pretty much averages out to how most games do so and that the increase in price while unwelcome to recurring customers isn't all that out of line with other major MMOs.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cosmetics are not Content.

Wants are not Needs.

Nothing in the Lootboxes is needed to play the game.

BTW, I hate the Lootboxes, not apologizing for them at all. Just not calling them Content.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect I'll wait for Greymoor to go on sale. I can't quite justify paying the same price as I did for Elsweyr but for less gameplay-changing content. Antiquities just doesn't stack up next to even Summerset's jewelrycrafting, much less the necromancer class.
  • Solace1981
    Solace1981
    ✭✭✭
    It should be free. We are basically playing a broken game.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are not in a hurry you can wait. The quest and trial content will become part of ESO+ or sold as a DLC in the crown store. It will also go on sale a few months after it releases if Zos continues with the promotion they have done with the last two chapters.

The only people who really need it upfront are the serious raiders due to the trial. For the rest it is a choice.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. If I want to play the new content right away I know I have to pay for it. If I can wait a year, I can get it as dlc. My choice. No ZOS ninja hit squad is forcing me at swordpoint to buy any version of the content. Honestly, if they were, they'd be making me buy the physical full game version, instead of the digital upgrade one.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The base digital upgrades for Chapters have all been at or below $40 usd. The upgrade is all I need and want and that price has not been going up for me so I have nothing to complain about.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just buy base game, by the time you do all quest, grind gear, achievements etc... ESO will be dead game.
    Edited by Malmai on March 16, 2020 10:11PM
  • fastolfv_ESO
    fastolfv_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree sir this game should have hundreds of unlocks for motifs outfits etc through achievements and just playing the game, Instead we have the rip off store $130 houses and expansions not worth half of what were paying
  • Granicus
    Granicus
    ✭✭✭
    Between a legion of chronic problems not getting fixed for months/years on end, and the ridiculously overpriced items in the Crown Store, no not in my opinion. ESO has priced itself out of interest to me. And their inability to fix things makes me so ready to leave. We do deserve better than we’re getting from this company. I pay for a functioning game and entertainment that is frustration free.
    PC/NA
    PvE
    Intel I9-9900K
    32GB RAM
    2x 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 SSDs
    Nvidia RTX 2080 TI 11GB
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since we are comparing it to WoW in here... you can't play WoW without subscription.
    You can play ESO without subscription though. If you don't like how ESO asks you to pay for an expansion, then unsub for three months and save up your money. You can still play in the meantime, which WoW wouldn't let you do. And with the free crowns you get from subscribing, you can buy all those DLCs for permanent access.
    Just subscribing for 4 months a year is already enough to get you all the DLC that release that year.

If you can't do without ESO+, then that's your problem. Go into IC and farm telvars for the home storage, get more characters and invest into capacity mount training and buy bag and bank space upgrades. If all that isn't enough, get a friend to return mails with loot to you as an additional storage. Inventory management might take some time but it's doable even without ESO+

Lastly, I agree that crown crates are a bad monetization model and should be done away with, but at least we can earn some gems from watching streams with which we can buy all the stuff from the crates we actually want for free. Most of what is in them looks crap anyway.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the state the game is in now? No, I dont think its worth buying anything from zos until they fix the game.
    Edited by Freakin_Hytte on March 16, 2020 11:14PM
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't buy Greymoor for that prize, I already didn't bought Elsweyr because they pushed the prize higher than its actual worth just because there were Dragons. They tried to use the Skyrim hype to get more money out of worthless stuff, I did enjoy Morrowind and Summerset way more than Elsweyr and both together were cheaper than Elsweyr alone.
    They went to far in my opinion.
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • Icaruzs
    Icaruzs
    ✭✭✭
    Dude you can survive without a craft bag lol, it isn't nearly a must have. I got my title of grand master crafter without buying ESO plus, and just playing the game managing my bank space and house chests (chests for gear and other stuff, bank for consumable, craft things, pots, xp scrolls)

The DLC's from last year and this year are only matching the main chapter theme, they are still different DLC's, like the ones that came before elsweyr and that year of the dragon thing.

Still the Devs are rly generous that you can buy those DLC's aside from the main chapter with gold, a 1500 dungeon DLC is 300k in gold if you buy from someone with a rate of 200:1, you can easily get that amount by just playing the game in less than 2 months just selling junk to vendors (i'm not counting stuff that you can sell for player that are worth 100x more in gold).

You complain about not getting mounts, but i have like 15 mounts and 31154 pets and skins, by just playing the game and opening free crates from twitch or dailys. (crates are rare now)

ESO is too forgiving in all of that paid content aside from chapters (that go to the crown store after a new chapter arrives, and don't forget the free DLC that ZOS already gave to most of players like murkimire and imperial city, aside from half of the prize sales in the DLC's celebration day)

I just whished that they would stop giving us junk in the dailys, there were a glorious time that you could get 7 crates a month by just playing, now we get a stupid pet and useless tatoos
    Edited by Icaruzs on March 16, 2020 11:35PM
  • thegreat_one
    thegreat_one
    ✭✭✭✭
    Considering the Performance enhancement BROKE THE *** GAME, and now that they "FIXED" it, its the same. exact same as before, I would not buy.

Save up gold and trade for crowns once this POS x-pack goes on sale.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Wants are not Needs.

BTW, I hate the Lootboxes, not apologizing for them at all. Just not calling them Content.

Agreed .... on most of it

never heard anyone calling loot boxes 'content' before. They really have nothing to do with content, unless you are looking at themes - such as frost items coming out during winter events.

I don't hate the lootboxes tho, but only because of the gems. If there is something, sat up to the 40 gem cost that I really like, I can buy some boxes, sell crap for gems and selectively purchase it.

I like that aspect.

IMHO

:#
  • Adam_Chattaway
    Adam_Chattaway
    ✭✭✭✭

Wants are not Needs.

Wants are not needs... really? One major aspect of an MMO is collecting cool mounts, pets and cosmetics, always has been. locking all the good looking stuff behind lootboxes and making us look like scrubs with a basic horse aint good enough. WOW lit has hundreds of mounts 99% of which you earn via achievements, raids, dungeons, quests etc. you are making excuses for them now pure and simple to defend them why?
  • Icaruzs
    Icaruzs
    ✭✭✭

Wants are not Needs.

Wants are not needs... really? One major aspect of an MMO is collecting cool mounts, pets and cosmetics, always has been. locking all the good looking stuff behind lootboxes and making us look like scrubs with a basic horse aint good enough. WOW lit has hundreds of mounts 99% of which you earn via achievements, raids, dungeons, quests etc. you are making excuses for them now pure and simple to defend them why?

Poor dude, he's riding through nirn with a horse, what the fashion police will think of him. Probably will be arrested
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didnt even buy elsweyr too. They try to sell at the price of a new game when it's just a zone + trial. It's way too expensive, just wait for next year and buy with gold from the gifting system.
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Icaruzs wrote: »

Wants are not Needs.

Poor dude, he's riding through nirn with a horse, what the fashion police will think of him. Probably will be arrested

Grumpy-pants. Lots of people like mmos because of the cosmetic stuff. This person is not in a minority.
    Edited by Magenpie on March 17, 2020 12:24AM
  • Adam_Chattaway
    Adam_Chattaway
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did most of Elsweyr in 1 day. i did not do the trial etc but all quests etc i did in 1 day on launch. Took me weeks to get to endgame in BFA. ESO expansions have no dungeons which i find shocking, just like wow eso expansions should have 6-10 dungeons and multiple raids for the price. all an eso expansion is is a very very expansive dlc zone.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dude you can survive without a craft bag lol, it isn't nearly a must have. I got my title of grand master crafter without buying ESO plus, and just playing the game managing my bank space and house chests (chests for gear and other stuff, bank for consumable, craft things, pots, xp scrolls)

The DLC's from last year and this year are only matching the main chapter theme, they are still different DLC's, like the ones that came before elsweyr and that year of the dragon thing.

Still the Devs are rly generous that you can buy those DLC's aside from the main chapter with gold, a 1500 dungeon DLC is 300k in gold if you buy from someone with a rate of 200:1, you can easily get that amount by just playing the game in less than 2 months just selling junk to vendors (i'm not counting stuff that you can sell for player that are worth 100x more in gold).

You complain about not getting mounts, but i have like 15 mounts and 31154 pets and skins, by just playing the game and opening free crates from twitch or dailys. (crates are rare now)

ESO is too forgiving in all of that paid content aside from chapters (that go to the crown store after a new chapter arrives, and don't forget the free DLC that ZOS already gave to most of players like murkimire and imperial city, aside from half of the prize sales in the DLC's celebration day)

I just whished that they would stop giving us junk in the dailys, there were a glorious time that you could get 7 crates a month by just playing, now we get a stupid pet and useless tatoos

So much this. I've survived without the craft bag before it was a thing, I've survived without having it after. Also, just by barely playing the game, you can get 100k without guild stores in less than two weeks. It really isn't that difficult. Mount cosmetics aren't that important and most of the time seems like a useless flex. If I wanted to watch that, I'd watch a specific WoW-Streamer's stream.
  • Icaruzs
    Icaruzs
    ✭✭✭
    Magenpie wrote: »

Wants are not Needs.

Grumpy-pants. Lots of people like mmos because of the cosmetic stuff. This person is not in a minority.

If you didn't pay attention to the entire thread you CAN get cosmetics and so on by just playing the game. If there's something that you like from the crown store, you PLAY the game and buy that thing through gold. There are several guilds with crowns vendors, and if you don't have anyone to sell crowns for you, you can go to the tamriel crown exchange discord. Which is an open discord approved by ZOS that conects crown sellers buyers and have respected brokers.
    Edited by Icaruzs on March 17, 2020 12:40AM
  • Adam_Chattaway
    Adam_Chattaway
    ✭✭✭✭

Wants are not Needs.

If you didn't pay attention to the entire thread you CAN get cosmetics and so on by just playing the game. If there's something that you like from the crown store, you PLAY the game and buy that thing through gold. There are several guilds with crowns vendors and if you dont have anyonw to sell crowns to you, you can go to the tamriel crown exchange discord. Is a opem discord approved by ZOS that conect crowb sellers buyers and have respected brokers

How do you buy crowns with gold? that sound shady as hell...
  • Icaruzs
    Icaruzs
    ✭✭✭

Wants are not Needs.

If you didn't pay attention to the entire thread you CAN get cosmetics and so on by just playing the game. If there's something that you like from the crown store, you PLAY the game and buy that thing through gold. There are several guilds with crowns vendors and if you dont have anyonw to sell crowns to you, you can go to the tamriel crown exchange discord. Is a opem discord approved by ZOS that conect crowb sellers buyers and have respected brokers

How do you buy crowns with gold? that sound shady as hell...

It's not shady as it is in other games. ZOS made it legal.

You find a person that wants to sell crowns, they will tell you their rate, like 200 gold for 1 crown, then the person gifts you the present, and then you pay her the gold. You can get banned if you scam someone.
    Edited by Icaruzs on March 17, 2020 1:57AM
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wants are not Needs.

If you didn't pay attention to the entire thread you CAN get cosmetics and so on by just playing the game. If there's something that you like from the crown store, you PLAY the game and buy that thing through gold. There are several guilds with crowns vendors, and if you don't have anyone to sell crowns for you, you can go to the tamriel crown exchange discord. Which is an open discord approved by ZOS that conects crown sellers buyers and have respected brokers.

As I understand it, it's much more difficult for EU players to do this, and it's much more expensive for them in terms of gold/crowns exchange? A rate set randomly by the sellers. No thanks.

Also, you have to rely on a gentleman's agreement that the transaction will be successful for both parties. I'm not very interested in navigating my way through 3rd party sites and risking being ripped off.

So, I'm not going to take that route unless a system is formalised and programmed into the game.

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think the Discord channel you're describing is 'approved', it's just being monitored by them. For example, I don't think there are T&Cs which pertain to buying Crowns from 3rd party sites. Who do I speak to if I do get ripped off?
    Edited by Magenpie on March 17, 2020 2:12AM