The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

carpets and rugs: why so dang old looking

EternalDiva
EternalDiva
✭✭✭
Regardless of your race or class, nothing says home like a warm and wonderful rug. So why all the rugs we can craft all looks like they been used for over 100 years. I've searched all the patterns online not one of them is gorgeous and finely woven into something that I just bought brand new from the store. <sigh>

I build a tent, a home, I buy a home..everything looking old and run down. Seriously go back in time live in that moment and things were not run down and in ruins.

Lets have the option to lay down rough ancient, chipped stone OR polished, smooth, rough UNCHIPPed stone. Lets have rugs and carpets and drapes that are threadbare if thats what we want and if we want nice and warm and rich and stunning and new looking lets have that too!

I would not mind being able to create my own rugs and carpets. Like I would do in second life. But alas no way that gonna happen on PS4. and not even sure how that could work on PC/Mac cuz I dont think a game could let you import your own things like SL does. And thats okay. Just lets have some more options please. Im okay with the rug and carpet and drapes etc designs. Love the designs. Just dont like the drab.

Thats my rant and whine and Im sticking to it. Gotta go set the table now with some wine and cheese.

Cheers!
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Realistically, without the petrochemical dyes of the modern era, everything fades rapidly. Doubly so, if you put things outside in the sun. I'm actually happier to have it toned down a bit.
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like every home you buy is a broken down ruin. :D
  • EternalDiva
    EternalDiva
    ✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Realistically, without the petrochemical dyes of the modern era, everything fades rapidly. Doubly so, if you put things outside in the sun. I'm actually happier to have it toned down a bit.

IDk about you but I've seen 100 year old carpets that look better than what we are offered. Im afraid thats not gonna cut it. When I make a rug brand new...it shouldnt look like its been out in the sun. Now if I buy it second hand thats a whole other enchilada.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a mix of both old and new styles.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »

Nirn =/= Earth. They have magic and alchemy, and there's all sorts of different dyes for clothing (even iridescent or metallic).
    I personally don't mind muted colors, but I don't like that a lot of stuff in game looks tattered/ruined. Mold on the walls, old carpets (even if you crafted them 1 minute ago), broken tiles on the ground.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • RD065
    RD065
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just don't use them. I rather see my stone floor that a raggedy old rug.
  • SpaceElf
    SpaceElf
    ✭✭✭
    I also don't have a problem with muted colors, it actually is preferable to me. However I do agree that a lot of crafted stuff looks really run down and tattered even if you just made the item.
  • Isskander
    Isskander
    ✭✭
    ... hmmm ... so here my mattresses were sold ...
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the carpets and rugs are nice and bright but very few. I would also like to see more bright, colorful floor and window coverings in the game.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No vacuum cleaners.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lets stay inline with what we find in morrowind and oblivion and skyrim.
    the rugs there look old, sory but this is elderscrolls way and i hope stays that way.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    No vacuum cleaners.

What's so sad about your statement is they have all of this Dwemer machinery lying around and can't build a Hoover out of all those parts. ;)
  • EternalDiva
    EternalDiva
    ✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    lets stay inline with what we find in morrowind and oblivion and skyrim.
    the rugs there look old, sory but this is elderscrolls way and i hope stays that way.

mmmm its not actually "the elderscrolls way". I've been playing elder scrolls for 20 years. way before there was online version. The carpets in MANY non-player homes are just brilliant. In fact the carpets in the homes that I buy fully furnished have beautiful carpets that don't look like scrub-work.

Im into RP. So its quite logical that if my character is making a brand new rug it should look just as new as the ones in the homes I purchased fully furnished. Ditto if Im buying a carpet someone else made. So if you want scrubby carpets thats great. But if I want to make ones that look new, that is something my character should be able to do.
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably helps not to judge all rugs by the first rug you see.