Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New PC and FPS question

MaGicBush
MaGicBush
✭✭✭
So I got a new PC, and a 144hz 2k monitor and I am wondering if my bad fps dips are normal. I am playing on highest settings, but I would think my PC should handle it. I am just wondering if it's this game, or some setting I should lower because its unoptimized. It seems to average around 90fps, but in spots it dips as low as 35fps. Definitely noticeable. This is only in Rimmen and not PvP either, which I have yet to try. Also I am wondering if someone can suggest a monitoring software to check were the bottleneck is. Probably my CPU, but I wanted to see. It is an 8core, but most games I know don't use that.

I have a:

Ryzen 7 3700x
16gb DDR4 RAM
RTX 2070 Super
M.2 SSD

Thanks for any tips or if this is just normal on this game, and I need to lower a setting!
Edited by MaGicBush on March 5, 2020 8:42PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you facing lots of NPCs and or other Players?

If you want to reduce the FPS dips, reduce the View Distance.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MaGicBush
    MaGicBush
    ✭✭✭
    I have it on default view, but yea I will give that a shot. There was a lot of npc's around(crafting area), however it dips outside of rimmen when I look towards the wall as well. Assuming that may just have to do with loading?
    Edited by MaGicBush on March 5, 2020 9:23PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just checking your add-on usage also, @MaGicBush, if any ....?
  • MaGicBush
    MaGicBush
    ✭✭✭
    Just checking your add-on usage also, @MaGicBush, if any ....?

Actually I just installed it and didn't do any addons yet. I lowered to ssao and lowered the view distance and particles a bit and that did help. Now I'm getting closer to staying at 60. It still dips a bit in spots, but not as bad. I just thought I'd see a huge improvement over my old PC which I played with all high settings. It only had a Rx 480 and an i5 CPU. Of course I am playing on 1440p instead of 1080p now. The game does look a lot prettier, but I was hoping for a bit more stable fps.
    Edited by MaGicBush on March 6, 2020 1:14PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rule of Thumb, if the game can see it, it is running a script. So, its not all in the graphics, its in the CPU.

You don't have to make huge adjustments in the view distance either to see a big change in FPS. So, try to find the right balance. And, just accept that Cities are going to give you less FPS. I optimize the balance to the overworld and ignore the FPS counter in cities.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"