Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question about motifs and character deletion.

CMDR_Un1k0rn
CMDR_Un1k0rn
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
If I delete a character I learned a motif on, will I still have access to the style at the outfit station afterwards?
In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an interesting question. Motifs are character specific, but styles are account wide. When you learn a motif it goes into your styles.

Hmm. I'm not sure.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Outfit Station pulls from the Collections.

Edited for updated information
    Edited by Nestor on March 5, 2020 5:43PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    gP6heYf.png?fb
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pick one character to know all the motifs, and that is my master crafter.

Even if this alt is not, you could always keep them as a Mule

• Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Probably not. The Outfit Station pulls from the Knowledge of all your active characters.

Do you have the PTS, you could test on there.

It also throws something up in your collectibles UI, though, so I would guess that it stays there once unlocked.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The unasked question here is why you want to delete, rather than re-spec, a character. Since you can change everything except class, you lose so much by deleting and re-creating, that it can't be worth it. I'd have thought that a character that has advanced enough to learn a worthwhile motif is one to keep, even if they need a race change, sex change, and complete re-build. There's got to be a lot of effort going to waste.
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    The unasked question here is why you want to delete, rather than re-spec, a character. Since you can change everything except class, you lose so much by deleting and re-creating, that it can't be worth it. I'd have thought that a character that has advanced enough to learn a worthwhile motif is one to keep, even if they need a race change, sex change, and complete re-build. There's got to be a lot of effort going to waste.

I agree. If I would need a slot for new toon I probably would buy one from the store (even that I hardly buy anything) as I wouldn't want to lose the time I've used in the process completely. And you can always use alts as mules, 200 inventory slots and sweet crafting writs.

Anyways. Interesting question, the original one. I would assume the motif will stay in the collectibles neverthless. But I'm not 100% sure.
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »

It's one motif that I drunkenly purchased on a character that is still level 7 like a year ago and never play. Problem is the motif is not in the store now and isn't exactly cheap at traders.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the means to answer this question via the multiple accounts that I own. Stay tuned, I'll figure out the behavior and post it back in this thread.
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As promised....

Testing conditions and process:

Single character steam account used on PC NA
    Character only knows its own racial motif
    New character is created
    Dremora shields purchased and learned with new character
    logged character off and checked original character
    Original character had access to dremora shields style at outfit station
    logged out original character and then deleted newly created character that learned Dremora shields
    logged in original character again and still had access to Dremora shields style at outfit station
    quit game and restarted
    logged original character back in and still had access to Dremora shields style at outfit station
    Went to wordworking station and attempted to craft a dremora shield but the style showed as unknown

Conclusion:
    Although the ability to CRAFT shields is lost with a deleted character, the ability to use the style with outfits is not lost.

I'm going to go further and hazard a guess that this applies to all motifs, but only based on my test above. You will need to decide for yourself if you want to risk it.

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    daim wrote: »
    And you can always use alts as mules, 200 inventory slots and sweet crafting writs.

Wow. I am nowhere near close to that many inventory slots ... maybe on one character, but she also has her riding/carry skill maxed.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Giraffon wrote: »
    As promised....

Testing conditions and process:

Single character steam account used on PC NA
    Character only knows its own racial motif
    New character is created
    Dremora shields purchased and learned with new character
    logged character off and checked original character
    Original character had access to dremora shields style at outfit station
    logged out original character and then deleted newly created character that learned Dremora shields
    logged in original character again and still had access to Dremora shields style at outfit station
    quit game and restarted
    logged original character back in and still had access to Dremora shields style at outfit station
    Went to wordworking station and attempted to craft a dremora shield but the style showed as unknown

Conclusion:
    Although the ability to CRAFT shields is lost with a deleted character, the ability to use the style with outfits is not lost.

I'm going to go further and hazard a guess that this applies to all motifs, but only based on my test above. You will need to decide for yourself if you want to risk it.

Thank you good sir. I appreciate it!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Probably not. The Outfit Station pulls from the Knowledge of all your active characters.

It also throws something up in your collectibles UI, though, so I would guess that it stays there once unlocked.

One would hope.

However, I don't think all Motifs do the Collectible thing. Like the original 16.
    Edited by Nestor on March 5, 2020 4:40PM

• kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »

One would hope.

However, I don't think all Motifs do the Collectible thing. Like the original 16.

They do.
    To expand: they go into collections the same as any other motif. The difference is that most of those are only learned as a complete book, not as a chapter of a book. If you learn a complete book, you will not get the very visible notice across the center of your screen with a little picture "sunspire daggers added to Collections" or however it's phrased. You only get a more subtle notice at the top right "54 new styles added" or whatever the number is.
    Edited by kringled_1 on March 5, 2020 5:24PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kringled_1

Thank you. I learned all the original motifs a long time before the Outfit System came out.

However, as stated above, the ability to Craft in that Motif requires the character to know the motif.

Edited by Nestor on March 5, 2020 5:45PM