The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

I'm sorry my dps is too high ZOS but can I please clear VMA?

dazee
dazee
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Stage 5 of VMA is literally impossible if you have too much dps. if you accidentally get the giant even a tiny bit too low too early, you will not escape the insta kill platform shatter. GG ZOS. guess having high dps isnt a good thing in their eyes.

FYI I went in straight to stage 5 at max gear durability and all my gear was broken by the time I quit. maybe I Can get a masters or BRP weapon since maelstrom ones arent accessible to people over a certain not so high dps threshold.
Edited by dazee on February 27, 2020 7:46PM
Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s called self control and strategy
    Argonian Master Race
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    We’ve all struggled with vMA our first time just realize it’s not that your dps is too high that you’re struggling
    Argonian Master Race
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Arbit wrote: »

I was using all that. How about not jumping to conclusions and reading my post more carefully. I was trying VERY hard not to get the giant boss too low, but theres 4 seperate points at which it can easily happen with just a stray mis-aimed attack.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We’ve all struggled with vMA our first time just realize it’s not that your dps is too high that you’re struggling

If my dps was not too high- I would not be struggling. I am being PUNISHED becuase one or 2 hits which miss an add and hit the boss get it 1% too low on HP.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm quite sure that's not literally true. What it requires is that you pay attention to the amount of damage you're doing to the boss and move appropriately. Yes, this tends to be the first spot people get stuck at for a while, because it is more difficult earlier stages. I spent a long time stuck there when I first tried vMA. Now it's pretty straightforward.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Controlled DPS is one of the mechanics of Stage 5. You need to take it slow and steady, kill adds as they come up, be aware of boss health and at what health she calls in more adds and at what health she shatters the ice platform, etc. It is specifically designed to discourage players from burning boss and making sure they actually do the mechanics.
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    Then strategize, I doubt your dps is better than everyone else’s whose beat vMA. Use tab targeting on he adds so you don’t miss or don’t use ground dots for that fight.
    Argonian Master Race
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    She breaks at 75% and 45%. And yes, if you do indeed have high damage you will mess it up at first. Here's a method that works:

You can burn her to to 80% (DoTs will take her to 75%) and run ignoring adds until you get to next platform. Kill the archer that spawned after getting to safety or quickly on way off first platform.

On next platform when she gets to 55-50% you can drop ultimate and run. You can stand on the 3rd platform and (range) kill her.
  • llBlack_Heartll
    llBlack_Heartll
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait until you get to Stage 7.
    I will await your post on the forum.

Drop your monster helm to a defensive one, should bring your DPS down slightly or just drop a Attacking skill for a defensive heal or something, again with reduce your over all DPS.
    Edited by llBlack_Heartll on February 27, 2020 8:29PM
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    She flashes red before she stomps ice platform and does it at certain health percentages. Even if you do a little too much DPS, you have time to react, cast Vigor or a shield, and run to another platform.
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    In ESO, you can burn through some mechanics and others you may want to lay up to finish the current one(s) before adding another. It can be frustrating at first for sure until you understand how the encounter works, but upon succeeding you may conclude that the encounter is more interesting because of that design element.

Even if you still dislike it, damage control is an important technique to learn as it is definitely used when progressing some of the most difficult content. vMA has many aspects to it that teach ESO mechanic elements you'll use in group play; this is one of them.
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're dying and DPSing too much why not use one tank set with jewelry? Something like Pariah since it comes with your jewelry stat trait of choice and gobs of mitigation, and a nice DPS nerf.
    Edited by MudcrabAttack on February 27, 2020 8:37PM
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Switch to a heavy Armor set. You’ll live longer and do less dps. Win win.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the dumbest self congratulatory rant thread I have ever read.

OMG ZOS made a fight that if you just stand there and nuke, things might go bad? FOR SHAME. EVERYTHING SHOULD BE STACK AND BURN, EVERYTHING I SAY.

It's called playing mechanics. Also there are a million youtube videos of people nuking this boss with higher DPS than you. It can be done, it's just very risky.

Sounds like you havent even cleared VMA, which tells me your DPS really isnt all the great to begin with.
  • Warraxx
    Warraxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    op is simply here to brag about his/her leet damage...
  • Alchimiste1
    Alchimiste1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero logic.

Stage 5 have has always been about mechanics. I don’t think you fully understand the mechanics. You can actually kill the boss on one platform from another and it will only smash the one it’s closest to. You can just do a quick burn and rush to another platform and let your dots do the rest.

I really do think, you should read up on an old guide about the mechanics of the stage
    Edited by Alchimiste1 on February 27, 2020 9:03PM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prettiest girl in school does not have a boyfriend because all the men are too intimidated to talk to her.
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    dazee wrote: »
    Stage 5 of VMA is literally impossible if you have too much dps. if you accidentally get the giant even a tiny bit too low too early, you will not escape the insta kill platform shatter. GG ZOS. guess having high dps isnt a good thing in their eyes.

FYI I went in straight to stage 5 at max gear durability and all my gear was broken by the time I quit. maybe I Can get a masters or BRP weapon since maelstrom ones arent accessible to people over a certain not so high dps threshold.

just slow down... vMA is not a dps slog fest...

• Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was using all that. How about not jumping to conclusions and reading my post more carefully. I was trying VERY hard not to get the giant boss too low, but theres 4 seperate points at which it can easily happen with just a stray mis-aimed attack.

Its not broken. That is the one mechanic you have to worry about. You cant mindlessly dps. You have to watch the bosses health, move appropriately in accordance with it. Everyone has been dealing with this mechanic since vma dropped. You have the ability to do 0dps all the way uo to your max. Up to you to manage it.

I just put a dot or two on it and deal with adds. When he is close to the % you do a little burst from the water as youre running to next pad.

The only time i go nuts on that guy is on the last pad.

You dps is NOT too high. I mean you can just light attack it if your dps is that epic that you cant watch the bosses health and coord moving 20m to another pad as it approaches the %.

• Gambino108
    Gambino108
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you should think about finding yourself a competitive dummy parse guild, and leave the actual mechanic based gameplay to others.

Göllum - PC-EU
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If it makes you feel better, this is the first place most competent players get stuck in the arena. Personally, it was the first place that made me seek help regarding the mechanics when I first ran VMA.

But I assure you, your overwhelming DPS isnt the problem. Your problem is situational awareness and following a proper strategy. This boss fight quickly becomes one of the easiest in the arena when you get the hang of it, but admittedly, most people that push scores will say it's the most common place they wipe.

It's been a long time, so please someone tell me if I get part of this wrong.

He spawns adds at 90, 60 and 30%, and blows up islands at 75, 45, and 5%. Each time he blows up an island, a whisp (or whatever it is) will spawn as well.

If you want an easy clear, this is what I suggest.

-Try to start the fight on an island that is not the one with the shield/power sigil.
    -Lay down ground dot's on the island you are on and let him come to you. You can do a bit of direct damage along the way. Don't reapply the dots, just lay them down once. At 90%, you focus the adds. They wont spawn right on top of you, so you should have time to take them out.
    -Once the adds are dead, or at least very low health and on the same island in question, lay your dots down again to push the boss to 75. He will then blow up the island.
    -The whispy add merits an ulti if you have one. Get it down quickly.
    -Move to the next island, again, avoid the one with the shield and power sigil if you can (feel free to grab the others if needed).
    -Again, lay your dots down one time, and do enough DPS to get him to 60%, then repeat. Take out the adds, and dont reapply dots until they are dead (or nearly dead), then reapply and push to 45.
    -Move to island that has the shield and power sigil and grab both.
    -Stand your ground, and drop everything you have. If your DPS is that high, you can certainly nuke everything where it stands, at that point its a race. (you can certainly continue the above strategy to play this part safe, but no reason to with good DPS).

You have a 15% health buffer between adds and islands exploding. That is not a stray attack, its an inability to control DPS.
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can play it slowly, you can play it quickly.
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    remilafo wrote: »

just slow down... vMA is not a dps slog fest...

VMA is not a dps slog fest... WHEN LEARNING.

By your third or fourth clear, that is exactly what it is. :wink:
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

1537791607366.gif

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If my dps was not too high- I would not be struggling. I am being PUNISHED becuase one or 2 hits which miss an add and hit the boss get it 1% too low on HP.

Be more diligent with targeting. Top score runs seem to do just fine with high dps.
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about you think like 5 seconds ahead of time and move away from the platform before it breaks like everyone else
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is the dumbest self congratulatory rant thread I have ever read.

OMG ZOS made a fight that if you just stand there and nuke, things might go bad? FOR SHAME. EVERYTHING SHOULD BE STACK AND BURN, EVERYTHING I SAY.

It's called playing mechanics. Also there are a million youtube videos of people nuking this boss with higher DPS than you. It can be done, it's just very risky.

Sounds like you havent even cleared VMA, which tells me your DPS really isnt all the great to begin with.

My thoughts exactly.

OP, do you not know how to just... Stop attacking? Or hit the boss with a blast of force pulse to get her down low enough slowly enough that you know exactly when and where she'll break the iceberg?

Your DPS is not too high, you're probably just ignoring the adds and nuking the boss. Anyone can do that with pretty much any DPS number. It's just misplaced prioritization.
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Also please share with the class what your DPS numbers are. TY in advance.
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have you also tried not animation cancelling your attacks? It’ll lower your dps.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried getting more dps? (2nd platform nuke ftw)