Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Some positives from U25 - Unhallowed Grave

krachall
krachall
✭✭✭✭✭
As disappointed as I am in the performance "improvements" from U25 that actually tanked performance for the majority of players, I want to call out the shining star of U25 - Unhallowed Grave.

ZOS, this is great work. While Icereach is possibly the most boring dungeon released in the last few years (maybe second to Lair of Maarselok?), Unhallowed Grave is fantastic. It's creative, original, and has some awesome cool new features. Grappling, secret bosses, bonus power-ups, original mechanics (versus the "stay out of the red or everyone dies" mechanics ZOS seems to think make for an interesting fight) -- GREAT STUFF. Do more of this. Less of Icereach please!

This gives me renewed hope that ZOS isn't just mailing in updates. The woefully weak Murkmire "event" had me convinced ZOS was finished, creatively, but Unhallowed Grave gives me hope.
Edited by krachall on February 27, 2020 3:01PM
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭
    krachall wrote: »
    As disappointed as I am in the performance "improvements" from U25 that actually tanked performance for the majority of players, I want to call out the shining star of U25 - Unhallowed Grave.

ZOS, this is great work. While Icereach is possibly the most boring dungeon released in the last few years (maybe second to Lair of Maarselok?), Unhallowed Grave is fantastic. It's creative, original, and has some awesome cool new features. Grappling, secret bosses, bonus power-ups, original mechanics (versus the "stay out of the red or everyone dies" mechanics ZOS seems to think make for an interesting fight) -- GREAT STUFF. Do more of this. Less of Icereach please!

This gives me renewed hope that ZOS isn't just mailing in updates. The woefully weak Murkmire "event" had more convinced ZOS was finished, creatively, but Unhallowed Grave gives me hope.

Battlegrounds are great now
    Options
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with everything in this. When we realized we had to grapple to follow a fleeing boss mid-flight, and it was the grapple-fall-grapple-while-mid-air maneuver, we all started shrieking in absolute delight.
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I also love UG. I think Icereach is mechanically interesting, way more so than LOM and Moongrave Fane for example, but I think the problem is that the fights aren't strong enough for them to feel interesting
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    Options
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hidden Bosses are a great part of the Dungeon.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Options
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also love UG. I think Icereach is mechanically interesting, way more so than LOM and Moongrave Fane for example, but I think the problem is that the fights aren't strong enough for them to feel interesting

Agreed but I think the reason I don't like it or LoM is the simple formula of empty hallway > open spot with trash > empty hallway > open spot with trash > empty hallway > Boss Room > empty hallway > open spot with trash...repeat ad nauseum.

The base game dungeons were mostly designed this way but some of the DLC dungeons were leaps and bounds ahead of this. WGT is one of my old school dungeons because it actually feels like climbing a tower as you progress. I also like the wolfhunter dungeon that takes place in what feels like a liveable keep/fortress. You're fighting mobs in someone dining room! Love that. But the old formulaic approach to linear dungeons bores me...and vet four-man content is my favorite part of the game.
    Options
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks god all the interesting sets are in this dungeon ^^
    Options
  • llande
    llande
    ✭✭✭
    UG is a great and innovative dungeon. Also features new PUG killer Kirin😁 Icereach is maybe not so but also interesting fight mechanics wise. Vet HM final boss is actually a good fight😁
    Edited by llande on February 27, 2020 6:23PM
    Options
  • SHANKS_63
    SHANKS_63
    ✭✭
    I love the new ideas in UG. Chasing a boss on grappling points was a pure delight. I love the mechanics that are in this dungeon. Well done!
    Options
  • FoolishOptimist
    FoolishOptimist
    ✭✭✭
    All of the above as well as the visuals in the boss fight. That was just epic.
    Options
  • Alexsae
    Alexsae
    ✭✭✭
    I love both dungeons. UG is possibly the most fun I've had in a dungeon for quite awhile. I agree, the dev team did a great job!
    Options
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cleared vet UG non HM yesterday plus the three hidden boss for the pledge- great mechanics in the boss fights.

Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come for dungeons :)

Vet Icereach was a bit easy really
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
    Options