Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

Let's talk about armor design?

FabresFour
FabresFour
✭✭✭✭✭
One thing that I worry about the armor of ESO, is that they are very detailed, but the model does not correspond to that.

Zenimax sometimes seems to put a lot of detail in the texture, only that it is just like a painting on the metal. Belts become simple paintings under the armor, ornamental details become scrawls. Particularly, I find it quite ugly. This problem came behind ESO, mainly, during the original game. Over time, Zenimax has perfected the way of making armor: They have become more rustic, heavier. They replaced the texture details with real models.

A very clear example is the difference between the Ebon set, dropped in Crypt of Hearts, and the Ebony motif.

The idea of the set is the same: but the model of one (ebony) is much better perfected than the model of another (ebon).

Hyy3MBp.jpg

But we can see this even better in today's visual choices:

Windhelm's Outfit and the Circle Knights' Armor.

Windhelm's outfit could very well be in place of the medium armor of the nords, it is a """heavy""" garment and closely resembles the armor of Skyrim's Stormcloaks. It is plausible, and we can see a model really well done by ZOS. Something that, despite being rustic, is more refined than the one used in the original game.

dq41U2T.jpg

Knight of the Circle Armor is simply one of the best heavy armor in the game. It just looks a LOT more like the armors styles made in other Elder Scrolls games. It is much more plausible to see someone wearing that armor in Skyrim, for example, than to see someone wearing other heavy armor of ESO in Skyrim, u know?

ha5nhga.png

Do you understand what I say? Do you agree? What do you think of the changes in armor design that the game has been bringing?

I think it's important to give this feedback so that they can always keep improving.
@FabresFour - 2075 CP
Director and creator of the unofficial translation of The Elder Scrolls Online into BR-Portuguese.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well yeah simple, meshes are a lot more work and taxing on the performance than simple textures
    Options
  • worir5
    worir5
    ✭✭✭
    Would be nice if some of the old armour styles were remade with newer textures and meshes
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well yeah simple, meshes are a lot more work and taxing on the performance than simple textures

This is a worthy reply. We know that the more detailed an item is the more it taxes the server. Zos has reinforced this reality when discussing why one class of collectibles has a very limited number of furnishing slots in a home versus collectibles as a whole.

Considering the number of armor pieces that can be visible at any given time when in a populated area we can expect armor appearance to continue to be as OP has shown it to be.
    Options
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I imagine because of this, a focus on textures also makes it a lot easier to scale between the different graphic options for users. Always remember not everybody can load what you can load.
    Options
  • raegun
    raegun
    ✭✭
    its not only taxing on performance for the added meshes but the stretching and skewing of those meshes. those meshes would be needed for both male and female toons not to mention the different body types and they need to be modified to look good. take the costumes for example. there are several costumes with added mesh detail that look fine on one body type but clip into another. a spesific example being https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/high-collared-ball-gown/ on a larger body type the belt clips into the skirt
    Options
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wish that 60% of the armors/outfits didn’t all look the same. Most armors lack distinction And a lot of higher up gear doesn’t look that different from lower gear.
    Edited by UGotBenched91 on February 26, 2020 8:23PM
    Options
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    raegun wrote: »
    its not only taxing on performance for the added meshes but the stretching and skewing of those meshes. those meshes would be needed for both male and female toons not to mention the different body types and they need to be modified to look good. take the costumes for example. there are several costumes with added mesh detail that look fine on one body type but clip into another.

This. I hate the majority of newer motifs because since ZOS only uses one set of meshs for all characters they all look like stretched out garbage on female characters.

I love how old Ebon looks and really wish it was available in the outfit system. New Ebony looks atrociously wide and barrel-chested on all of my characters.
    Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Meshes are more taxing than textures?

I have no knowledge of how this works in a client-server scenario, but for Skyrim modding, meshes were basically performance agnostic versus textures which were GPU and performance hogs at very high resolutions.
    Options
  • Langdon64
    Langdon64
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just wish that 60% of the armors/outfits didn’t all look the same. Most armors lack distinction And a lot of higher up gear doesn’t look that different from lower gear.

This. I'm so tired of hip flaps and cod flaps.
    Options
  • Hescrow
    Hescrow
    ✭✭
    ZOS has already improved client side for loading textures/meshes when camera focus on another player.
    It means that for a short time you have loaded mininum textures but not all, and this for all GPU. Of course you can change your vidéo settings for loading more particules.

We see some new heavy armors with good looking and realistic design. So ZOS can redesign previous and old styles like they did for skinchanger style.

It is just a timing question and so money ;)
    Options
  • Folkb
    Folkb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also wish they'd update some of the old armors.

And for God sake enough of those hip flaps!

Oh and let us hide shoulders.
    Options
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meshes are more taxing than textures?

I have no knowledge of how this works in a client-server scenario, but for Skyrim modding, meshes were basically performance agnostic versus textures which were GPU and performance hogs at very high resolutions.

There were a few skyrim mods that had very high poly models (ie. modder that didn't know how to model for a game) and the performance hit was crazy. Most mods that included models were either ripped from other games or moddified Skyrim originals so their poly count was already game friendly.
    Options
  • Slimebrow
    Slimebrow
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly the if the armors weren't painted on It would probably be a better incentive for me to farm them or buy them from the crownstore. Right now I think the designs all look the same because they are just painted on, they have no depth and doesn't really feel like armor. There just is no incentive or motivation for me to ever want a motif or style type when the base racial armors do the job.
    Options
  • Katlefiya
    Katlefiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

This is a worthy reply. We know that the more detailed an item is the more it taxes the server.

Why would it tax the server? The server does not render the graphics.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

This is a worthy reply. We know that the more detailed an item is the more it taxes the server. Zos has reinforced this reality when discussing why one class of collectibles has a very limited number of furnishing slots in a home versus collectibles as a whole.

Considering the number of armor pieces that can be visible at any given time when in a populated area we can expect armor appearance to continue to be as OP has shown it to be.
    Armor design does not tax the server at all. Proc set tax it but not textures and models, its tax the client however.
    All models and textures used on gear seen in an city or other area has to be loaded into memory then rendered.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wish they would take away those annoying HIP flaps!! I love the new Waking Flame motif- but the hip flaps are horrible and totally visually distracting! I was planning to wear it as my main design until I saw what it actually looked like while moving- horrible doesn't even describe it enough... I relegated it to a dungeon only outfit so I wouldn't be annoyed by the horrible flaps all the time.

I'm not sure WHO in ZOS' development team seems to think that HUGE, obtrusive, annoying hip flaps need to be a thing... when they would be totally impractical for movement in reality.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most armour sets in ESO look fantastic, fashion is srs bsns so it's one of the reasons this is my fave online game.

I'm very happy that they finally started to get the hang of good plate helmets in recent years, something that almost no MMO I've played has achieved.
    Options
  • DontWorryAboutit
    DontWorryAboutit
    ✭✭✭
    Give us robes that actually look like robes and not a reskinned dress!

i look at clown store costumes and in game motifs and think. Where is the fantasy?! eso fashion is awful.
    Options
  • Slimebrow
    Slimebrow
    ✭✭✭
    Give us robes that actually look like robes and not a reskinned dress!

i look at clown store costumes and in game motifs and think. Where is the fantasy?! eso fashion is awful.

Honestly after looking at some of the Motifs I feel the same, I have no incentive to seek out any motifs or even buy them from the store because they just look samey as the base racial/starter ones. There is just no incentive for me to grind for armor types other than just stats I guess :/

For fashion I just use the base racial ones as they just do the job for me.
    Options