The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does it make me a bad player if I only tank dungeons, because I know I'm not very good at DD?

CMDR_Un1k0rn
CMDR_Un1k0rn
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Honestly, I'm a little confused by this existential (in ESO) question, and thus decided I wanted to put it here.

I should stress, nobody has called me a bad player for a very long time. I only tank, as the title suggests, and if I do get a comment, it's usually "You tank with a Nightblade?!" XD

No, the idea that I might be a bad player comes entirely from myself, and my own thoughts.

Now, given that I freely admit I'm a bit rubbish at DD, would I be right in thinking like this? Or am I actually making a good choice by focusing on the role that I'm actually good at?

I guess I'm just curious as to what kind of player this all makes me.

Many thanks in advance. <3
In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am playing since Beta, used to be great in pvp, am a formidable tank and a unique healsupport.
    But I do not play DD in pve, because I run out of magicka after 10 seconds and because I can not seem to follow a perfect rotation.

So the answer to your question is no, I think. :)
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Most_Awesome
    Most_Awesome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In short if you can join a pug group and do the job of a tank and get through the dungeon with bow light attack spamming Magblades, then you are doing good and just keep on doing what you enjoy.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you guys. I do apologise, I was having a period of self-doubt, I believe.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's important to put things in perspective. Notably, that Elder Scrolls Online is a game and we should all be having fun with it; don't be too hard on yourself or too hard on others. Regardless of what anyone else says, you get to play your way.

That aside, I doubt you gave up trying to be a damage dealer just because of your own thoughts on the matter. I know I didn't. The bar set by the internet nobodies is ludicrous, and that's discouraging for just about anyone. Add to that the fact that damage dealer queue times aren't exactly short and it just makes a lot more sense to tank anyway if you're not interested in chasing numbers. I can't remember the last time I ran as a damage dealer through a dungeon. I don't miss it.
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a problem, anyone should do what they DO feel like they have the knack for and feel like playing :)

Some feel for being the dps, heals, and others feel more comfy as tank. I mean, I can minitank in a pinch, but plzplz never make me the main tank lmao, dps and miniheals/buffs are my thing, I'd feel out of my depth doing the full-on tanking, so youre no less than any other player, you do what you feel good at/for, we do ours ;D
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I'm a little confused by this existential (in ESO) question, and thus decided I wanted to put it here.

I should stress, nobody has called me a bad player for a very long time. I only tank, as the title suggests, and if I do get a comment, it's usually "You tank with a Nightblade?!" XD

No, the idea that I might be a bad player comes entirely from myself, and my own thoughts.

Now, given that I freely admit I'm a bit rubbish at DD, would I be right in thinking like this? Or am I actually making a good choice by focusing on the role that I'm actually good at?

ur are not good with a DD and most people are not good with a tank. Important thing is that u are good with the role u play
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    I think it's important to put things in perspective. Notably, that Elder Scrolls Online is a game and we should all be having fun with it; don't be too hard on yourself or too hard on others. Regardless of what anyone else says, you get to play your way.

That aside, I doubt you gave up trying to be a damage dealer just because of your own thoughts on the matter. I know I didn't. The bar set by the internet nobodies is ludicrous, and that's discouraging for just about anyone. Add to that the fact that damage dealer queue times aren't exactly short and it just makes a lot more sense to tank anyway if you're not interested in chasing numbers. I can't remember the last time I ran as a damage dealer through a dungeon. I don't miss it.

I will admit the queue times are a nice bonus. I do stand by though that my primary motivation for going pure tank was skill.

I like to think I can respect other people's time by putting myself in a role that I can do well, and to be honest, I just take too long to kill things as DD and also, die too often.
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PvP is what makes you a good player.
  • mikikatze
    mikikatze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mainly heal, because being a DD does not spark joy. And I consider myself an ok player, which is enough for me. :) I even heal in PVP.
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everybody has that one role they are good at. For you, it seems tanking is the thing. Bonus points for being a Nightblade tank, which is both rare and cool as heck.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • xWarbrain
    xWarbrain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not at all. I have friends that are great as a tank or healer but are terrible DPS. I don't tank or heal, so if they're trash for not doing damage, I'm trash because I can't tank or heal. :D

That being said,
    Vietfox wrote: »

XB1 NA
    Your nerf suggestion is dumb. Learn to counter other players instead of having the game rebuilt to your ability level.
  • MusCanus
    MusCanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

...and a terrible person, lol
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, no, definitely not. You don't have to be a master of all. If you're a good tank, and you play tank, you're a good player. You don't need to be theoretically good at something you're not actively playing to somehow get you MMO street cred.

I WILL say however, that at least getting reasonable experience in all roles will help you become better at your chosen role. You don't have to be good at them in the end, just gain some details on the perspectives you wouldn't even usually think to ask, and you will end up synergizing on a completely different level with your groups.
    It's not a must, like nothing in the game is (just wanna make clear you don't have to torture yourself haha), but I do think it's worth it and I've definitely met my fair share of players where you could tell that that kind of experience was lacking and holding them back in comparison to others.
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MusCanus wrote: »

...and a terrible person, lol

Hey hey, we can't have everything :)
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

First off, dont let anyone ever convince you NB is not a wise choice for tanking. Anyone that expresses surprise or confusion generally just doenst have the experience or plays in a very small bubble. I say this because at some point you WILL get into a not so good group (happens to us all) and when a few too many wipes occur, you will have that one idiot looking for somewhere to point his finger and a non DK tank is an easy culprit for those that are clueless.

Tanking has it's own set of learning curves, and while I adamantly stand by my belief that unlike most other mmos where tanking is usually the harder role to play, air tight perfect dps rotations is a more mechanically demanding skill than tanking in eso. I find tanking to be the least stressful of the 3 roles in this particular game based on reflecting on the other mmos I've played over the years.

If you enjoy tanking, then you are gravy.
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with specializing if you are focusing on your strongest role.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    let's say you are a great plumber but really bad ...piano player

and every day you meet piano players and they are bragging

about their piano skills...it is up to you to choose how to take

that - sitting in the dark corner and crying about your miserable

life and bad piano skills...

or raise your head in proud of your great skills at needed profession

(you can even look at those pesky pianists with pity because

most likely their plumbering skills are sooo baaaaad :D )
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bad player is a tank that does not taunt, block, heal, debuff. I am pretty sure you know what you are doing. You like tanking and a lot of people are looking for tanks. So relax, enjoy, and be a happy confident tank.

On the other hand, if you want to try out DPS, do not be afraid. We all started as noobs hitting like a wet noodle.

If you can master tanking, you can master DPS, and healing too.

I did it the other way. Started as a bad DPS, did not dare to enter a dungeon for a year because i was that bad, lol. got a bit better, switched to healing and did veteran dungeons. Got more confident. Tried to improve gear, rotation, animation cancelling. So now i can DPS. Then i was really afraid to start tanking, but i actually enjoyed it.

What i want to say. DPS Try it out, improve, and you will find one day that you will be better then average. It just takes practice.

And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you perform the Role you sign up for, you are a Good Player. Period.

The only debate point is being a well rounded player means you can be a Main or an Off Tank or a Tank that does DPS so as to carry the DPS. That is the thing that needs to be discussed.

Edited by Nestor on February 25, 2020 7:17PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes you a player that's experienced in their role, and by no means bad. If you're performing the necessities of your given role then that's all that matters, after all the game should be an enjoyment and not a chore. Plus, more tanks in PvE are always a good thing.
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, are you happy being a tank? Or do you want to be dps but are afraid to? If you are happy being a tank, then by all means and Razum Dar's mohawk, keep being a tank. I also lack skill and dexterity due to carpal tunnel and don't dps in vet content, so I mainly heal or tank. Honestly I love tanking. I love being the meat bag being tossed around with the apocalypse raining down on me, but I'm not 100% awesome at it yet. I shine best as healer, and I like that too because it's easy and less stressful in group content. I find dps rotations to be extremely stressful and hard on my hands, plus with all the addons peeps have where they can brag about their numbers quite frankly embarrasses me, so I mainly solo quest content on dps or do normal group stuff. Figure out what role you actually love, and do the work needed to be great at it, and just enjoy yourself.
    Edited by Kesstryl on February 25, 2020 11:57PM
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are (assuming from your post) a bad DD player. And a decent (again, assuming from what you've said) tank player.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorry that I've not responded much guys.

I've had a stressful few days IRL and it's caught up with me somewhat.

I'll be making a proper reply tomorrow after I get back home from a trip out.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It might make you bad at dps, but that does not make you a bad player. I know I am bad at dps, and good at healing in ESO.
    My dps skills are improving slowly though.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You are less able than players that tank dps and heal with their toons.
    Less able than players that also PvP.

What happens next?
    Edited by GeorgeBlack on February 26, 2020 3:03AM
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why does the opinion of strangers on the net matter?
    Do you clear the content you enjoy?
    Edited by GeorgeBlack on February 26, 2020 1:10AM
  • BlissfulDeluge
    BlissfulDeluge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done a lot of PvE content as a dps, but not nearly as much as a healer and a tank. I still play those roles and have fun with them, but we all do well with some things, and worse with others.

Some people excel at being damage dealers, others at playing supports. =) It doesn't make you a bad player to specialize, but it doesn't hurt to try to do the other roles to learn the basics of what everyone has to do.
    Former completionist with all achievements unlocked up until Update 29 (Flames of Ambition). Avid RPer, writer, and former Breton lover. Then Legacy of the Bretons was released and I realized just how boring and uninspired the Bretons are according to the writers.
  • lzzy
    lzzy
    ✭✭✭
    You recognize your strengths and are playing to it. Don't see what's wrong with that.
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorry that I've not responded much guys.

I've had a stressful few days IRL and it's caught up with me somewhat.

I'll be making a proper reply tomorrow after I get back home from a trip out.

Reply to what bro? Stop stressing
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I love you. We need more tanks so I don't wait 10+ minutes as a DD :D
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit