The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Double Disk Space Required for the Mandatory Reinstall??

Iphin
Iphin
✭✭✭
Can someone from ZOS please respond?

I find it unbelievable that it's being suggested we need more than 100GB of free disk space for the mandatory reinstall.

Not everyone has multiple TB SSDs or HDDs with that much free space. I have just over 50GB and people are informing us that it won't be enough. It's a massive oversight if no one from ZOS bothered to inform the community how much actual disk space was needed for this if we're required to have DOUBLE the space.
"Those who believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand."
  • Kaspar
    Kaspar
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh, I have something similar in that I have a bare 119GB SSD that the game was installed on before but now the new install process requires 125GB free drive space to run. Great, now I need to install a spare HD with enough space, install, copy back to SSD, repair, hope.

I wonder how many people will experience this. Perhaps ZOS can find an additional 6GB compression for the install.
  • Iphin
    Iphin
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like it was a massive oversight not to remind/make people aware of the required disk space for a mandatory reinstallation of the game.

It would have been as simple as placing a single sentence about required disk space in the message that just said 'let the launcher do its thing! Easy!'.
    "Those who believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand."
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    50 for download
    50 for install
    25 for ZOS overhead

as @Gythral mentioned in another thread
    Edited by Alienoutlaw on February 24, 2020 10:08AM
  • Jarndyce
    Jarndyce
    ✭✭✭
    I am having the same issue.
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just uninstalled via the launcher and then hit install. Worked for me with no problem. They should have had it delete the old files first.
  • Noxji
    Noxji
    ✭✭
    I have a 111GB SSD with the only purpose to run ESO, and ESO alone. Do I have to buy a new SSD now? Because I ain't running an MMO on my HDD. That's stepping backwards in time.

So much for reducing the size, eh...

I did uninstall/remove the entire game from the disk, freeing the SSD to 100%. Still needs 125GB.
    Really...?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little confused. Isn't it pretty normal for installing large games to require more free space, which then gets trimmed down to the final size? I seem to recall some recent complaints from console players about this.

I mean, I suppose ZOS could have reminded everyone that "Hey, if your system normally requires you to have more free space than the final size in order to reinstall, its still going to do that..."

But honestly, remembering our own free disk space and how our systems handle installing large files seems like something we're responsible for, not ZOS.
  • Noxji
    Noxji
    ✭✭
    I'm a little confused. Isn't it pretty normal for installing large games to require more free space, which then gets trimmed down to the final size? I seem to recall some recent complaints from console players about this.

I mean, I suppose ZOS could have reminded everyone that "Hey, if your system normally requires you to have more free space than the final size in order to reinstall, its still going to do that..."

But honestly, remembering our own free disk space and how our systems handle installing large files seems like something we're responsible for, not ZOS.

Yes, we know this. But since they reduced the total size, wouldn't that also imply a reduction for the total needed to install? Idk.
  • Noxji
    Noxji
    ✭✭
    Noxji wrote: »
    I have a 111GB SSD with the only purpose to run ESO, and ESO alone. Do I have to buy a new SSD now? Because I ain't running an MMO on my HDD. That's stepping backwards in time.

So much for reducing the size, eh...

I did uninstall/remove the entire game from the disk, freeing the SSD to 100%. Still needs 125GB.
    Really...?

I installed the game on to my HDD. Patched and everything. Then I copied to my SSD. Running the game np at all.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noxji wrote: »

Yes, we know this. But since they reduced the total size, wouldn't that also imply a reduction for the total needed to install? Idk.

I hadn't compared this time to when I installed it on my new computer. Wish I had. This one was still like 89 GB or something for me once it was finished. With that in mind, requiring 125 GB free space for a 89 GB final size seems pretty normal for how my computer handles installing large files. YMMV.
  • kajseren
    kajseren
    Soul Shriven
    PC Minimum System Requirements:

Operating System: Windows 7 32-bit
    Processor: Intel® Core i3 540 or AMD A6-3620 or higher
    System RAM: 3GB
    Hard Disk Space: 85GB free HDD space
    GPU: Direct X 11.0 compliant video card with 1GB RAM (NVIDIA® GeForce® 460 / AMD Radeon™ 6850) or higher
    Sound: DirectX compatible sound card
    Internet: Internet Broadband Connection

My friend has a 120SSD harddisk with noting else on besides ESO.
    Patch cant run on his harddisk cause it say he has to little space for it!
    FIX it!
    Game was supposed to be SMALLER!
    He is angry and about to quit! I want to keep him in game! When will we see a fix to this with a clean install?
  • kajseren
    kajseren
    Soul Shriven
    Maybe i should mention he has the game through Steam.....not that i know if that matters
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kajseren wrote: »
    PC Minimum System Requirements:

Operating System: Windows 7 32-bit
    Processor: Intel® Core i3 540 or AMD A6-3620 or higher
    System RAM: 3GB
    Hard Disk Space: 85GB free HDD space
    GPU: Direct X 11.0 compliant video card with 1GB RAM (NVIDIA® GeForce® 460 / AMD Radeon™ 6850) or higher
    Sound: DirectX compatible sound card
    Internet: Internet Broadband Connection

My friend has a 120SSD harddisk with noting else on besides ESO.
    Patch cant run on his harddisk cause it say he has to little space for it!
    FIX it!
    Game was supposed to be SMALLER!
    He is angry and about to quit! I want to keep him in game! When will we see a fix to this with a clean install?

The game IS smaller...once its installed. The installation process requires extra space due to needing to download temporary files.
  • kajseren
    kajseren
    Soul Shriven

The game IS smaller...once its installed. The installation process requires extra space due to needing to download temporary files.

True....But that dosnt help all the people out there that only have a SSD with 120GB when you need 125 to download a game that after patch is 67GB.... (mine is on 67GB after i patched)
    Bethesta should make a clean install to the thousands of players with same problem
    Edited by kajseren on February 24, 2020 10:53PM
  • kajseren
    kajseren
    Soul Shriven
    Can i get a reply from Bethesda Technical support please?

It is a big problem not only for my friend but from a lot of other players
    Can we expect a "clean" install soon?
    That the game goes from requiring 89GB to 125GB is just stupid and a huge inconvenience for a lot of people and there is not much brag rate in telling you are making game smaller and then require a lot more free space to install it!
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was monitoring ESO folder on my hard drive during the install process. At peak time it was 133 gigabytes. After instalation was cempleat it is 66.7 gigabytes. So you will need more than 133+ disk space (for the file operations) - so probably something like 134 - 140 gigabytes.
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Strange. I installed red dead redemption 2 2 days ago. The game is 125gig. But it did not need more than that to install. Isn't that wierd?
    ZoS compression method is trash.
    They provide installer packs that need to be on the hard drive to install from. Instead of downloading the files directly without install needed. Like steam generally does it.
  • majorana
    majorana
    ✭✭
    There are a few workarounds for the small SSD issue
    • Move the folder to a HDD ->upgrade->move it back, if you don't want to do this
    • If you are using the steam version then you can delete the vo_de and vo_fr folders (you can re-download them later if you need those languages) this will free up around 20 gb
    • If space is still not sufficient then you can delete some other dat files in there till the space is sufficient (this has been suggested in another thread, not tested it personally) and maybe run a repair after the upgrade
  • Kaspar
    Kaspar
    ✭✭✭
    So, last night I ripped my computer apart and cleaned all the components with a vacuum (yes, there were some fly carcasses from a spider who once lived there). I installed an old 250 GB Hdd and quick formatted it. I redownloaded the installation from the My Account page and it ran okay so it's been downloading via "The Launcher" since 7 pm EST last night and is now approaching 10% @ 606.48 KB/s, which is a nominal rate for an extended activity period over my slow 5 Mbps service. It was faster when I had 75 Mbps service, but that became too expensive to maintain.

Once complete, I plan to just transfer all the files on the Hdd installation back onto my OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB SSD, which only formats to 119 GB by the way (on Windows 7 Pro), and relocate my Documents\ESO backup folder to the appropriate location on the C:\ drive, (also a Vertex 4).

Vertex 4 - https://www.amazon.ca/OCZ-Technology-2-5-Inch-Industrys-VTX4-25SAT3-128G/dp/B007R1FH3K

Vertex 4 - The Video - https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/C1LaJdP5jtS.mp4

I will likely run a repair through "The Launcher" afterwards just to be sure everything is requisite to the functioning of the executable. I've done the "just copy contents" approach before and it has always worked so I am not fearing a detrimental outcome.

<buy Platinum>
    Edited by Kaspar on February 25, 2020 3:10PM
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I had a few issues too. I didn't have 125 gigs on my SSD and for some reason my backup harddrive would stop installing at 9 percent.

I had to freaking delete everything to get to 125 gigs available. I got to around 110 gigs available and didn't know what else to delete. Lucky for me I found what seemed to be a "Jack Pot", a folder named "Windows.old" which was 19 gigs. I deleted that.

I wake up this morning, after the game is installed, and now have at least 55 gigs available. Why make us delete unnecessary stuff off our computer?

I really think someone in Zeni wants to make everyone have a bad day. I really do.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• jaekobcaed
    jaekobcaed
    ✭✭✭
    Profiling. I'm gonna try to uninstall the game then reinstall. Hopefully it works; if not, I'm gonna be pretty ticked. This was ridiculous enough as it is. The least they could have done was make this a smooth, easy install. I have two 2TB hard drives in my system but both are close to being full (the one with ESO on it had 14GB free). Nonetheless, I've never had a game do this crap to me. I love ZOS but man, they really screwed up with this.
    Isachar Daerenfel of Alinor, Psijic Sage, Master Wizard of the Mage's Guild and heir to the Daerenfel Trading Co.
    [PC/NA]
  • majorana
    majorana
    ✭✭
    jaekobcaed wrote: »
    Profiling. I'm gonna try to uninstall the game then reinstall. Hopefully it works; if not, I'm gonna be pretty ticked. This was ridiculous enough as it is. The least they could have done was make this a smooth, easy install. I have two 2TB hard drives in my system but both are close to being full (the one with ESO on it had 14GB free). Nonetheless, I've never had a game do this crap to me. I love ZOS but man, they really screwed up with this.

If you are using the steam version reinstalling is not a good idea
  • LaughingGremlin
    LaughingGremlin
    ✭✭✭
    I uninstalled the steam version and it didn't make a difference. I still had to increase to increase my bootcamp partition to be able install ESO.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We have a FAQ linked below that gives an explanation on the patching overhaul and the requirement for two times the amount of space to complete the install. If you're not seeing a reduction in install size after the update has fully completed you can seek help with customer support.

Update 25 Patching Overhaul FAQ - Elder Scrolls Online
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • jaekobcaed
    jaekobcaed
    ✭✭✭
    An update for my reinstall: I got it to work but still had to uninstall a 50GB game just to get it to work. As I said before, I've never once had a game do this to me and I can't say I'm too happy about it. And now, the launcher refuses to display the news. It just sits perpetually at "Loading..." or it gives me an error message.
    Isachar Daerenfel of Alinor, Psijic Sage, Master Wizard of the Mage's Guild and heir to the Daerenfel Trading Co.
    [PC/NA]