The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

There are randomly protruding tiles in my home that look awful with carpets... Why ZOS?

CaseySterling
CaseySterling
✭✭
8phe2xevsjyd.png
Edited by CaseySterling on February 23, 2020 7:57PM
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the reasons I hate the "Ruin" look of so many of the houses. With all of the rough surfaces and protrusions you can't put down a carpet without something sticking through or flying it above the floor.
  • CaseySterling
    CaseySterling
    ✭✭
    This is one of the reasons I hate the "Ruin" look of so many of the houses. With all of the rough surfaces and protrusions you can't put down a carpet without something sticking through or flying it above the floor.

This is the Enchanted Snow Globe house, literally no part of the house has or has to have a "ruin" aesthetic. Those tiles protrude for literally no reason. I get it when some tiles are like that in the Hall of the Lunar Champion, but it just doesn't make sense in ESG???
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    May sound stupid but... sometimes when I try to decorate my houses I have a strong feeling that ZOS hate us players. Not just don't care, but really want to frustrate us. Wanna get a nice home? Paid crowns for it? Enjoy your pain!
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason is probably that the floor mesh was made before housing was added to the game, and because they just used pre-existing assets, it was not "fixed" for our use.

The same mesh also likely exists with multiple textures in other homes. I know that problem is also in the Sisters of the Sands Apartment.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's the same on the balcony of Mistveil Manor - there is one board that pops up to clip through any carpet I put down.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not ideal, I know.

However, if you use a nice big rug and place it carefully, it should look more like it's thick, than that it's hovering:

Up3ZxPK.png

Just adding this to show the only angle from which you can really see it's hovering, if you look closely, because the sofa legs can be seen underneath the rug, through the bannisters on the lefthand side:

aII0Gbt.png

However, not many people are going to be looking that closely, at that particular part of the floor, once you have other things to look at.

I think the answer (assuming they do not intend to let us fix our floors!) would be to make rugs thicker, like they are in real life.

That way, you wouldn't see the bottom of chair and table legs underneath and a large rug would hide most raised tiles etc., entirely.

If people didn't like the thick rug look (and there weren't any raised tiles etc. where they were placing them), they could always sink them, partially, into the floor.
    Edited by Tigerseye on February 25, 2020 6:05AM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »
    It's the same on the balcony of Mistveil Manor - there is one board that pops up to clip through any carpet I put down.

One solution for that is to use the bear rugs, as they are thick already and due to their shape, you can place them strategically to miss the lifted board:

eMSLbqA.png

LjKvkng.png
  • TheStarfighter
    TheStarfighter
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful House by the way @Tigerseye !
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup, gotta love that texture popping out of every carpet in the Argonian Manor...
    Edited by UppGRAYxDD on February 25, 2020 4:03AM
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful House by the way @Tigerseye !

Thank you. :blush:
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me that at some point, ZOS housing developers made the decision that people in Tamriel are either terminally lazy or just too traumatized by world-threatening events to maintain their homes like people in the real world. It's certainly not a historical thing; there have been masons and carpenters doing invisible wood joints and perfect inlay and seamless marble block work for millenia. It's just that the flavor they chose to go with for the majority of homes is "dilapidated." Either the builders phoned it in or the people that our characters supposedly bought the house from just let it decay until the whole thing is structurally screwed. And somehow they think that with the millions that some of these houses cost, we're just too poor or too stingy to shell out for the sort of repairs that in real life we'd have done before we even sat on a beanbag in the empty living room to eat our first pizza in there. I guess when you have 20k health, your toe doesn't hurt when you stub it on your horrible uneven floor.
  • LaughingGremlin
    LaughingGremlin
    ✭✭✭
    On the 2nd floor of Mournoth Keep, I put a wood platform on the floor, then I placed the carpet. It's a waste of precious slots but the carpet now fits perfectly.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the reasons I hate the "Ruin" look of so many of the houses.

Yeah. Someone in their housing team has a ruin fetish.

Seriously. You preview a 3 million plus gold home like the base game's Khajiit manor and you see big arse broken tiles and think, why would I pay 3 million gold for a wreck like this?

And if I bought it, what would random decorations would I have strew all over the place to cover up crap like that?

Even in Alinor - the "jewel" of Summerset and it's snooty arsed Altmer - on the path / bridge leading the palace there are broken tiles.

That's just not credible. Alinor isn't a ruin. It's the Altmer capital. A broken tile like that would be fixed nigh instantly.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »
    snooty arsed Altmer

:lol:

• SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    YEP... I'm having this issue with the Alinor Ballroom floors that I installed in one of my houses. Some of the tiles are raised, so I get to decide between rugs placed higher to hide them that also bury your feet when you walk on them, or rugs placed flush with the floor that I awkwardly cover with pillows or other things...
  • CaseySterling
    CaseySterling
    ✭✭
    YEP... I'm having this issue with the Alinor Ballroom floors that I installed in one of my houses. Some of the tiles are raised, so I get to decide between rugs placed higher to hide them that also bury your feet when you walk on them, or rugs placed flush with the floor that I awkwardly cover with pillows or other things...

Here's a great solution for your problem: flip the floor. The underneath of the floor looks way more in-tact and it looks identical to the top. Just give it a good 180 spin and you're set :D
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Haven't tested it, but someone said that, if you flip that floor over, it's smooth underneath.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Here's a great solution for your problem: flip the floor. The underneath of the floor looks way more in-tact and it looks identical to the top. Just give it a good 180 spin and you're set :D

That will teach me to read all the posts first, lol.
  • CaseySterling
    CaseySterling
    ✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »

That will teach me to read all the posts first, lol.

lol
  • Brandathorbel
    Brandathorbel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    on the note on floor. I am doing linchel manor and wanted to crate a base around the weedy section on the right side that has little dome structure. thinking i may have to go high to cover the weeds and steps up to it. Think the orc wood floor, elswyer floor or alinor one would work the best?
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    myskyrim26 wrote: »
    May sound stupid but... sometimes when I try to decorate my houses I have a strong feeling that ZOS hate us players. Not just don't care, but really want to frustrate us. Wanna get a nice home? Paid crowns for it? Enjoy your pain!

That's my deep feeling too.

Who hired these interior game designers ??

What's wrong with you ZoS ??
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    xbobx15 wrote: »
    on the note on floor. I am doing linchel manor and wanted to crate a base around the weedy section on the right side that has little dome structure. thinking i may have to go high to cover the weeds and steps up to it. Think the orc wood floor, elswyer floor or alinor one would work the best?

Maybe decking would be nice?

I think we would have to see the various options to judge what works best colour-wise, but I'm going to say probably not Alinor, there.
    Edited by Tigerseye on February 29, 2020 7:29AM