The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Duel vs 2 Hander

Chibirobo
Chibirobo
Soul Shriven
Hello so I'm building a stamina templar and a necro I was planning on going duel with the templar and 2 hander with the necro. Last night someone in my guild was telling me that duel is way better than 2 hand and I will be losing noticeable dps. Is this true? I know on a test dummy duel gets more dps than a 2 hander but I didn't know the difference would be noticeable in pve. Also any general tips and armor sets I should aim for, for my templar. Thanks
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s true. It’s stupid, but it’s true. Even if you have no ability from either skill line in either bar, you will do more with dual.

That being said, if you are extremely skilled you personally might do more with a good two hand build than average players do with dual. In which case go live your dream.

But YOU will always do more if you use dual.
    Edited by BejaProphet on February 23, 2020 7:02PM
  • Chibirobo
    Chibirobo
    Soul Shriven
    I see, that's kinda sad to hear but thanks for the info.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean the dmg difference is minute.

Unless your pushing leaderboards or doing the hardest trials in the game it won't make a difference.

A 2h pve setup can easily do all content.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • TheUndeadAmulet
    TheUndeadAmulet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean the dmg difference is minute.

Unless your pushing leaderboards or doing the hardest trials in the game it won't make a difference.

A 2h pve setup can easily do all content.

This. It likely won't make a difference unless you are a top player.
    XBOX NA 1000+ CP
    nerf ping please
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with both of the last two posts. I’m not trying to dissuade from using 2h. I’m just giving the info for them to choose.
  • Chibirobo
    Chibirobo
    Soul Shriven
    I'm starting to run trials with my guild. This is where the topic came up. I'll try out both and see which one I feel more comfortable with. I'll keep in mind that duel give me more so that might be the better option. Thanks for the feedback.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    More 2H passives work better for someone who isn't using 2H abilities imo. It comes down to sustain/aoe with 2H vs a small single target damage boost with DW. Ultimately, you should play with what you find more enjoyable and DW's extra single target damage is minor at best, especially for classes with a spammable. 2H Executioner trumps DW Whirling Blades anyway, in terms of cost and damage. Whirling Blades is almost double the cost.

2H:
    • Light and Heavy attacks damage up to 3 nearby enemies for 50% (probably 5m radius, aka blade cloak range).
    • Fully charged Heavy attacks grant +10% damage to your next direct damage attack, mitigating some of the loss in dps when you need to heavy attack for sustain.
    • +30% stam regen for 10s after something you recently damaged dies.

DW:
    • Increases damage with Dual Wield abilities by 20% against enemies with under 25% Health. (Light/Heavy attacks count as abilities)
    • Increases Weapon Damage by 6% of off-hand weapon's damage. (6% of 1335(gold) is only +80 dmg).
    • Increases damage with Dual Wield abilities by 15% against enemies that are stunned, immobilized, disoriented, or silenced. (Light/Heavy attacks count as abilities)

Gold Nirn + Gold Sharpened/Precise DW
    • (1335 * 1.15) + 80 = 1615 total WPD

Gold Nirn 2H
    • 1571 * 1.15 = 1806 total WPD

So 2H ends up with 191 more WPD offsetting the missing execute/cc damage DW light/heavy attacks gain. Since you're not using 2H abilities, you have less chances to proc axe bleeds, meaining the 16% chance with a 2H axe might trump DW with 8% chance to bleed and +5% crit (dagger/axe). DW enchants are half potency so that equals out roughly with 2H enchants.

Ultimately up to you, but thats how I view it.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on February 24, 2020 12:23AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's fully possible to do duels with a two hander... If I had a penny every time someone mixed up dual with duel I'd be swimming in money.

And to answer the question and not just be the annoying guy, a two hander works just fine if you're not pushing for that last digits of DPS. You can do any content just fine with it, your own skill level are far more important than which if the weapons you choose.
    EU PC
  • TheUndeadAmulet
    TheUndeadAmulet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More 2H passives work better for someone who isn't using 2H abilities imo. It comes down to sustain/aoe with 2H vs a small single target damage boost with DW. Ultimately, you should play with what you find more enjoyable and DW's extra single target damage is minor at best, especially for classes with a spammable. 2H Executioner trumps DW Whirling Blades anyway, in terms of cost and damage. Whirling Blades is almost double the cost.

2H:
    • Light and Heavy attacks damage up to 3 nearby enemies for 50% (probably 5m radius, aka blade cloak range).
    • Fully charged Heavy attacks grant +10% damage to your next direct damage attack, mitigating some of the loss in dps when you need to heavy attack for sustain.
    • +30% stam regen for 10s after something you recently damaged dies.

DW:
    • Increases damage with Dual Wield abilities by 20% against enemies with under 25% Health. (Light/Heavy attacks count as abilities)
    • Increases Weapon Damage by 6% of off-hand weapon's damage. (6% of 1335(gold) is only +80 dmg).
    • Increases damage with Dual Wield abilities by 15% against enemies that are stunned, immobilized, disoriented, or silenced. (Light/Heavy attacks count as abilities)

Gold Nirn + Gold Sharpened/Precise DW
    • (1335 * 1.15) + 80 = 1615 total WPD

Gold Nirn 2H
    • 1571 * 1.15 = 1806 total WPD

So 2H ends up with 191 more WPD offsetting the missing execute/cc damage DW light/heavy attacks gain. Since you're not using 2H abilities, you have less chances to proc axe bleeds, meaining the 16% chance with a 2H axe might trump DW with 8% chance to bleed and +5% crit (dagger/axe). DW enchants are half potency so that equals out roughly with 2H enchants.

Ultimately up to you, but thats how I view it.

Uh... You forgot the weapon damage that the offhand weapon adds at base.
    XBOX NA 1000+ CP
    nerf ping please
  • Swen_von_Walhallion
    not only this but forgout to count with lover crit on the 2h, and ofc if run nirn, you need count with lowere penetration too compare to DW.
    Adraria Argentum Draco - imperial Stamplar
    Bevdyen Tus Ntxhuav - Orc Stamplar
    Celestun Ira Dei- Imperial Tankplar
    Halldis Rautt Höfuð- Nord Tankplar
    Misawa Yoshike - Breton Healplar
    Lae'ozhael - Dunmer Magplar