The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The Unstoppable Armor ability

iamnotweakrwb17_ESO
iamnotweakrwb17_ESO
✭✭✭✭
I've been testing this ability out for the first time in PvP today since it was changed. The 65% self snare is absolutely brutal. Because of it, the only place where I can see Unstoppable being of any use is standing in Keep breaches as it prevents you from being pulled out.

Back in 2017 I used to use this as a healer when it had no snare and in conjunction with major expedition. I do understand how that was a bit overpowered and why the snare was added.. but this 65% self snare??? It feels way too oppressive. Why was movement speed just not capped to normal run speed while the immunity portion of this ability is active?
Edited by iamnotweakrwb17_ESO on February 21, 2020 3:24AM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are still plenty of bosses and mobs that will happily ignore the immunity too.

Great skill in theory, worthless in practice (unless your strategy is to self root.)
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I had a working build with this ability.. but it forces you into heavy armor which is big disadvantage in terms of WD stacking..
    Idk, maybe with that new break free set I may give it a second go..
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I mouse over this skill in-game I just sit there dumbfounded thinking "What? Why?!"

This skill is in dire need of a re-roll because I cannot think that anyone finds its current form appealing.
  • msalex
    msalex
    ✭✭
    I seriously would like to know if anyone uses this skill as it currently stands. It makes absolutely NO SENSE. Immunity to knockback and disabling effects....oh nevermind, you can't move anyway. There is no point to this skill, absolutely none. If there is, please let me know. I can't seem to think of any situation where the snare would be worth it to use this skill. Anyone?
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    msalex wrote: »
    I seriously would like to know if anyone uses this skill as it currently stands. It makes absolutely NO SENSE. Immunity to knockback and disabling effects....oh nevermind, you can't move anyway. There is no point to this skill, absolutely none. If there is, please let me know. I can't seem to think of any situation where the snare would be worth it to use this skill. Anyone?

- in no-CP this ability saves you TON of stamina, which means you can play with less recovery and more WD
    - in no-CP this ability hard counters all the stam drain builds, i.e. fossilize/fear/streak spam
    - this ability hard counter nightblades, because you don't need to keep block, predict burst etc, just keep it up when NB is cloaked and 95% of NB won't be able to do anything
    - by combining swift jewelry, gap closers and/or ranged damage you can mitigate majority of snare impact

Overall, main issue of this ability imo is not snare but that it is heavy armor ability. All the recovery/WD gain you have from it - you can get the same just by using medium armor and without restricting yourself with snare. So the real good side is that you can face tank stam drain builds and glitchy cc builds. Main downside - wrong timing of this ability means a GG when fighting multiple players.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

- in no-CP this ability saves you TON of stamina, which means you can play with less recovery and more WD
    - in no-CP this ability hard counters all the stam drain builds, i.e. fossilize/fear/streak spam
    - this ability hard counter nightblades, because you don't need to keep block, predict burst etc, just keep it up when NB is cloaked and 95% of NB won't be able to do anything
    - by combining swift jewelry, gap closers and/or ranged damage you can mitigate majority of snare impact

Overall, main issue of this ability imo is not snare but that it is heavy armor ability. All the recovery/WD gain you have from it - you can get the same just by using medium armor and without restricting yourself with snare. So the real good side is that you can face tank stam drain builds and glitchy cc builds. Main downside - wrong timing of this ability means a GG when fighting multiple players.

This just drive home the point that ZOs has made the game more difficult for them to balance since we have PvE and two different PvP modes. We can just hope that whatever changes Zos makes to CP will end the need or desire for a no-CP PvP.
  • msalex
    msalex
    ✭✭

I appreciate the information, thank you. The thing is I usually play CP PVP. It's good for NB's that's it basically. Why do I have to change up my jewelry and skill bars to mitigate snare impact? I don't need to do all this when I choose to slot my light or medium armor abilities. It just seems very limited.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the information, thank you. The thing is I usually play CP PVP. It's good for NB's that's it basically. Why do I have to change up my jewelry and skill bars to mitigate snare impact? I don't need to do all this when I choose to slot my light or medium armor abilities. It just seems very limited.

I don't think that unstoppable brute has much worth in CP because reduced cost of break free + unchained perk, makes cost of break free + vigor less then cost of typical unblockable cc in CP campaign.
    But in no-CP UB pay offs immediately when fighting sorcs and nightblades because those will use their unblockable cc on cooldown. But to use UB effectively you need to work a lot... It took me 50+ hours and ton of transmute/golden tempers before I got build with which I was satisfied in terms of damage output.

Why swift jewelry... swift jewelry ignores snare penalty. If you have UB cc-immunity active, major expedition speed boost will be reduced by 65%. But swift jewelry always boost your speed for 6% per piece no matter if you are snared or not.
    I used UB with bosmer 2H/bow and 2 swift... that combination granted me sprint cap speed on roll-dodge in 5 heavy armor when UB is not active and when UB is active it reduced snare to 39%. Plus regular roll-dodge speed 52% as well.

I measured all that with map add-on:

base speed = 6.7
    base with major expedition = 8.75
    major expedition + hunters = 9.4
    major expedition + hunters + 12% jewelry = 10.2
    major expedition + hunters + 18% jewelry = 10.6
    base + steed 10% = 7.35
    major expedition + hunters + steed = 10.05

unstoppable brute (UB) base speed = 2.35
    UB with major expedition = 3.0
    UB with major expedition + hunters = 3.3
    UB with 12% jewelry = 3.15
    UB with major expedition + hunters + 12% jewelry = 4.1
    UB with 18% jewelry = 3.55
    UB with steed = 2.55
    UB with major expedition + hunters + 18% jewelry = 4.5

As you can see steed is basically useless for UB snare mitigation while 2 pieces of swift grant mitigation comparable to 35% speed buff.

What I liked about UB build is that it is absolutely off-meta and other players simply don't understand WTF is going on when fighting with you :D streak spammers, TC spammers, vamp drain spammers, fear spammers - UB counters those builds very good. There is nothing better then face of sorc when you are both at~50% HP and he times streak with meteor but you safely block it because you are immune to streak and onslaught him after that :D

Ah, and there is one extremely broken mechanic related to UB - it is pairing it with Meditate. Unlike usual Meditate when you are cc-immune after break free from opponent's burst and you need to heal out of execute zone fast and there is not much time to meditate. With UB you can safely Meditate at 100% HP. This is absolutely broken, I tested this combination for few hours and players started to group up specifically to coordinate burst and t-bag me :D but anyway Meditate is disgusting imo, so I stopped using it pretty fast

7th legion set to go with UB because you will naturally receive 7th bonus when using UB each 10 seconds. Something like NMA front + 7th bow backbar and then you have 2 free slots on both bars for potentates or agility and bloodspawn. Or 3 pieces of agility + 1 piece of monster with double resistances. Those all are pretty stat dense builds screwed only by inferior heavy armor passives.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The point is that the skill is designed to create a turtle tank, literally. You are immune to knockback (not always but that is what it says) and disabling abilities while being slowed down to turtle like speed. True turtle tanking. They took the term to heart on this skill.

• Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is for standing your ground tanking and taking on a zerg in the moment. It is very situational in that it really should only be used by a tank when you're tanking out a group and say you're having trouble healing up. Hit this ability now a % of damage per heavy piece armor is mitigated and while holding block allows for myself to heal up through a full group ulti dumping my tank. Once it wears off mist form to LOS and start over. Very useful in terms like this. Hate the self root but gain/lose it does need to be fair and I can say this is strong. Sure is funny watching full groups spend all their resources killing one tank lmao.