The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Compilation: Explosives in TES(:O)

Ravnie
Ravnie
Soul Shriven
Have you considered a career when it comes to blowing things up with more mundane means rather than magic? These little tidbits should help you get started! If you have discovered any other additional substance, item or whatnot, please leave a comment below and I will add it to the list.

All future updates on this article will be added to its respective Google doc.

KINDLEPITCH

Kindlepitch is a sticky substance used to ignite a fire. It gives off a small amount of heat and smells of either ash or bears another putrid smell. As it is highly flammable, and handling it with care is always advised. Despite this, even more volatile mixtures are formed by combining kindlepitch and fire salts. This results in concentrated kindlepitch, which is used for blasting and excavation. Treated kindlepitch is another form of kindlepitch, and is extremely flammable compared to its initial sticky state.

Kindlepitch is frequently stored in barrels and used for torches. Other forms of storing include glass bottles, which are marked with an indicator that its contents are highly flammable. Only the liquid state or mixtures of kindlepitch are found in glass bottles.

QUEST DIALOGUE WITH KINDLEPITCH
What should I do?
"A mixture of kindlepitch and fire salts burn bright as the sun. Toss it into the heart of the beacon and the stone will melt like butter on a hearthstone."
- Tildur, during The Serpent's Beacon
Where can I find fire salts?/Then where can I find the fire salts?
"The Maormer use fire salts to warm their food on long voyages. They should have a supply in the hold of the ship moored in the harbor."
- Tildur, during The Serpent's Beacon
"The Orcs are carrying kindlepitch—I could smell it. Probably to burn Elven houses. Kill some of these snowbacks, collect their kindlepitch, and throw it at their torches in the supply shacks. It'll be fun."
- Svanhildr, during Challenge the Tide
"The Covenant has attacked. I need kindlepitch to light the signal fires.."
- Quartermaster Lineem, during If By Sea
So we go to the crematorium and....
"We demolish the dig site. Worm Cultists have been using concentrated kindlepitch to clear rubble. The Xivkyn Soulbranders have been distributing it since they arrived. If you can acquire some, we can use it to destroy their operation."
- Drake of Blades, during Of Brands and Bones

FIRE SALT

Fire Salts are in essence highly flammable salt chips that are used to ignite fires. To make even more flammable concoctions, fire salts are commonly combined with kindlepitch. When combined with kindlepitch, conflagration is the result when the mixture is set off. Fire salts have been noted to have such an intense heat that it can even be felt through glass containers. It should be noted that kindlepitch is not the only mixture that utilises fire salts. Inferno admixture works as an explosive flammable concoction that consists of fire salts and shalk guts. Most potent mixtures are made out of crystallised fire salts.

At times, fire salts are even utilised in traps to create an explosive reaction once the trap triggers. Traps are not the only method of application for fire salts. It used in ammunition for (Imperial) siege weaponry, to dramatically raise temperatures in forges by blacksmiths, and applied to wood. When wood is treated with fire salts, the wood gives off magically intense heat. Hand thrown fire salt bombs do exist, not to mention explosive arrows.

Alchemical properties, such as elemental perks and magicka restoring effects, hail from fire salts as well. The latter can be obtained from flame atronachs.

QUEST DIALOGUE WITH FIRE SALT
So what do you need me to do?
"Gather some fire salts and kindlepitch from the docks. With them, you can make a fire bomb. Not only will setting their ship on fire destroy it, it will flush Svadstar from his hiding hole so I can end him."
- Eoki, during Broken Bonds

OTHER OPTIONS

FLASH POWDER
When flash powder is thrown into a fire, it causes a small explosion. The explosion creates a noisy display that can be disorienting. Metal pellets are used in the process of creating flash powder to no doubt grind it into the fine powder.

FIRESAP GEL
Firesap gel is a red Argonian gel that can be used to overheat objects.

EMBERFLINT
A dull red powder that sparks and pops whenever moved. Emberflint was no doubt mined in Stonefalls within the Emberflint Mine (by Argonian slaves).

KNOCKOUT POWDER
A finely ground powder that explodes on impact.

SHALK GLANDS/GUTS
Shalk glands are known to have flammable properties. Inferno admixture is an explosive mixture made from combining fire salts and shalk guts.

FIRE STARTERS
Any fine gentlebeing knows that the best way to start fires is to have a fire starter.
Edited by Ravnie on February 20, 2020 3:36PM
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love the thought process behind storing a highly flammable substance in a wooden container. You'd think they'd use glass, stone, magickal wards, or any other container that isn't itself already flammable.

What I think is funny is the fact that apparently we have no kind of firearms, not even things like cannons, when the means to power those sorts of things exists in the form of all these explosives. A cannon is just a big tube stuffed with gunpowder that ignites when the fuse hits the gunpowder, right? You'd think at least the Imperials would have figured out things like cannons and maybe crude, simple guns, but it seems like none of the races have come up with the concept of a shooty-shooty weapon aside from bows and staffs.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arunei wrote: »
    I love the thought process behind storing a highly flammable substance in a wooden container. You'd think they'd use glass, stone, magickal wards, or any other container that isn't itself already flammable.

What I think is funny is the fact that apparently we have no kind of firearms, not even things like cannons, when the means to power those sorts of things exists in the form of all these explosives. A cannon is just a big tube stuffed with gunpowder that ignites when the fuse hits the gunpowder, right? You'd think at least the Imperials would have figured out things like cannons and maybe crude, simple guns, but it seems like none of the races have come up with the concept of a shooty-shooty weapon aside from bows and staffs.

There are references to cannons in a Daggerfall joke book, in Redguard, and in the artwork for a TES card (though cropped out of the card itself).

They just haven't appeared in any of the main TES games.