The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Shock Clench without Masters?

mav1234
mav1234
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi all,

I don't have a masters lightning staff and am unlikely to get one in the short term. I'm slowly making my way into playing different classes again... and thinking about cracking my magden back out. The 'new' shock clench looks pretty deadly (miss the stun though...), but lack of a masters staff is making me reconsider. Has anyone had good results without it? Any thoughts?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s basically a worse version of Shock Ring. Smaller radius, dodgeable, shorter cast range, and requires a target. The only reason Shock Clench is used over Shock Ring is when using an arena weapon set, since the BRP Destro DoT never ticks if you are spamming it, but the Master Lightning additional damage ticks with every cast.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I think Shock Clench spam is a bit overpowered with a Master Lightning Staff - it hits harder than other Magicka spammables, while having low cost and being AOE - but is borderline useless without it. I haven't really played my Magicka Warden in a good while, but I think I'd probably end up sticking with either Elemental Weapon or Crushing Shock these days (the latter is great for dealing with Sorcs that assume they're safe to use Dark Deal/Conversion while still in your LOS).
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You need the master’s for it to be good. I tried it without a master’s staff and it was meh.

I don’t have an ice master’s staff, but ice clench looked like it could be decent with a master’s staff too.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 19, 2020 2:02AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    I don’t have an ice master’s staff, but ice clench looked like it could be decent with a master’s staff too.
    It's basically like if Bombard got nerfed down to single target only, and required a PvE-acquired weapon to use. So...incredibly obnoxious, and probably pretty oppressive 1v1, but at least it doesn't root everyone every 2 seconds.