Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Max out skill points on crafting for all 18 characters?

ChimpyChumpy
ChimpyChumpy
✭✭✭
I just started creating alt characters and I'd like to increase my chances for gold mats on each of them when doing writs. But damn that's a lot of skill points.

How many of you fine folks have all 18 maxed out and with all hirelings? It's going to take forever man. I tend to play alone rather than zone clearing with my guild, would that speed things up?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do. (Actually 36 characters)

Many of them only do writs, and you only need 12 or so skill points above the 64 you get from leveling up to have max skill in all lines plus the hirelings, so it's not too difficult to get them to that point.

Now, if you want them to also be playable characters, then it's a lot more work.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh do you steal skill points from class and weapon lines once you get to level 50 and just keep them as dummy characters?

I've been approaching it from making playable characters I have only 5 at the moment. Pretty new to the game so trying to play different classes. This is good to know. Thanks for the info.

Two accounts, wow that's a lot of characters. You mail mats from one account to another?

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s over 500 skill points in the game now, @ChimpyChumpy.

You can definitely do both crafting and combat ... but it takes time and you have to be diligent about getting skill points from all sources.

Though I’ve never purchased skyshards from the Crown Store, that can save a lot of time on a second character and beyond. You can be gifted skyshard upgrades for in-game gold. That way you’re not out of pocket for real life money.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on February 17, 2020 5:09AM
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks tale of 2 cities, good info. I like tmbrinks' method I may create dummy characters during the next double xp event. Not sure I have the patience to do it without double xp. Then take away all the skill points and dump them into crafting
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 was enough for me
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh do you steal skill points from class and weapon lines once you get to level 50 and just keep them as dummy characters?

I've been approaching it from making playable characters I have only 5 at the moment. Pretty new to the game so trying to play different classes. This is good to know. Thanks for the info.

Two accounts, wow that's a lot of characters. You mail mats from one account to another?

Playable will certainly take longer.

I used master writs to level most of my alt account characters. Go out in the world and get 10 skill points. Level alchemy to 50. Do alchemy master writs with a 150% XP scroll. Level Enchanting. Do Alchemy and Enchanting Master writs until 50. Have enough skill points to do all crafts.

I don't usually mail mats (other than some jewelry ones if I need them for master writs.

I mail all the master writs over to one account (have a character that can make everything). I just sell all the other mats on the alt account and send gold over to the main.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can definitely do both crafting and combat ... but it takes time and you have to be diligent about getting skill points from all sources.

Though I’ve never purchased skyshards from the Crown Store, that can save a lot of time on a second character and beyond. You can be gifted skyshard upgrades for in-game gold. That way you’re not out of pocket for real life money.

Just to correct. You cannot buy skyshards with in-game gold. Since they're linked to an achievement, they are unable to be gifted.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Just to correct. You cannot buy skyshards with in-game gold. Since they're linked to an achievement, they are unable to be gifted.

Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like the only way to buy skyshards is with real life money through buying crowns.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on February 17, 2020 5:57PM
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks tmbrinks. I think I may try this in the next double xp event in april for one or two characters. I tend to use master writs right away, not even at hundred completed yet. Alchemy and enchanting makes a lot of sense since many of the others require motifs and leveling via deconstruction. Thanks for your input.

Just curious, do you use eso+ for one account, both or none?

I think I read in comments on another thread that you may have written a guide to crafting and farming? If so I would really appreciate a link.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just so you know, you dont need to max out all the skills and Passives in the Crafting. Just the Material Passives, 10 for each of the Gear and Enchanting and 6 for Provisioning. Alchemy, does not really matter, so keep that at L1. Provisioning, and Alchemy for that matter, only needs to be maxed for easy to do Master Writs.

Jewelry, i see a decent gold return on even the mid tiers, so get them to Rank 2 if you can as soon as possible. Then you can take your time leveling them in that skill. I think it take like 400 intricate items deconstructed. Not sure if making things is a good source for leveling. Use Copper and Silver for early and mid level decon.
    Edited by Nestor on February 17, 2020 9:10PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks tmbrinks. I think I may try this in the next double xp event in april for one or two characters. I tend to use master writs right away, not even at hundred completed yet. Alchemy and enchanting makes a lot of sense since many of the others require motifs and leveling via deconstruction. Thanks for your input.

I think I read in comments on another thread that you may have written a guide to crafting and farming? If so I would really appreciate a link.

Yup, that's the reason to do those instead (and why they are much more expensive at guild traders)

I have ESO+ on both accounts, but I'll occasionally let it lapse on the alt account (that's just 18 crafters). Main account has been a constant subscriber since launch.

Mostly I've just shared all my data and drop rates along with refining rates from doing lots and lots and lots of writs and collecting tons of surveys. The link to the thread and the spreadsheet are in my signature.

@BenevolentBowd has some great guides on his website that he has put together (www.benevolentbowd.ca)
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have 16 Chars with all max crafting skills, they are just crafters that I leveled up to level 50 during the double XP events.
    During the events its like 12 hours of dolmens to get level 50. I am so happy that grind is done :D now I get to have some much gold and materials!

Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all thos info everyone. I had to change the mobile site to desktop view on my phone to see the signature, great information! I just need to create 11 characters now!
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    I made the mistake of only leveling the minimum on my alts for a long while. Then I noticed virtually all of my writs were alchemy and enchanting. It leaves a lot on the table.

In addition to the hirelings, skill points for:
    1. Research. My writ types are much closer to even now that I've done the traits on them. Without multiple slots and reduced times, this takes forever.
    2. You don't want to be producing single batches of potions/poisons, or even food.

I definitely took advantage of double XP/scrolls when possible but it doesn't give you the required skill points. 99 as I count them while doing research. They are quicker to get than you might think though.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    8 chars in EU, 3 chars in NA

On EU all the crafting ranks are maxed, all the relevant passives are on, they all know the majority of traits except nirn (master crafter knows all).

On NA, slowly n steady getting there :)

PS - I don't grind, I just play.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    phwaap wrote: »
    I made the mistake of only leveling the minimum on my alts for a long while. Then I noticed virtually all of my writs were alchemy and enchanting. It leaves a lot on the table.

1. Research. My writ types are much closer to even now that I've done the traits on them. Without multiple slots and reduced times, this takes forever.
    2. You don't want to be producing single batches of potions/poisons, or even food.

I definitely took advantage of double XP/scrolls when possible but it doesn't give you the required skill points. 99 as I count them while doing research. They are quicker to get than you might think though.

I hate the clutter of all those extra potions and food piled up. I often wind up selling them to a merchant but at least I got something rather than nothing at all. I suppose I should leave them in my bag so they can be used later.
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the clutter of all those extra potions and food piled up. I often wind up selling them to a merchant but at least I got something rather than nothing at all. I suppose I should leave them in my bag so they can be used later.
    I agree it's slightly annoying at first. But I sure love running up to the station and seeing it green without doing anything B)
    Edited by phwaap on February 18, 2020 4:39PM
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Yup, that's the reason to do those instead (and why they are much more expensive at guild traders)

I have ESO+ on both accounts, but I'll occasionally let it lapse on the alt account (that's just 18 crafters). Main account has been a constant subscriber since launch.

Mostly I've just shared all my data and drop rates along with refining rates from doing lots and lots and lots of writs and collecting tons of surveys. The link to the thread and the spreadsheet are in my signature.

@BenevolentBowd has some great guides on his website that he has put together (www.benevolentbowd.ca)

Cool, I'm honoured that you have found my guides were useful and even more flattered that you recommended them to another player.

Thanks.
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phwaap wrote: »

If you use lazywritcrafter, you can save space by placing all of your writ stackable consumables (food, drink, poisons, potions) in your bank. The addon will retrieve writ items needed from the bank. Currently, these writs do not require the character to craft these items and can be premade by one ahead of time. It's a tradeoff between speed and storage. Writs are faster if you have items premade on character.
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    I totally sympathize, and I still drop or deposit everything from my main when I'm done with writs for the day. But on my alts, who I don't play much, the items just stay in their bag. Saves you time and money both.
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry responding late with another question, If my main makes food, drinks and potions I can put them in the bank and lazywrit crafter will use them for all characters?

I've been leaving them in each character's inventory not banking them . . .
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Provisioning and Alchemy can be crafted by any character and turned in for daily writs.

The rest of the crafts must be made by the appropriate character.
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    I'm necroing my own thread to say thanks everyone. Got to 18 characters by the end of the last event all now with level 50, alchemy, enchanting and jewelry, as well as botanist, toxicologist enchanting achievements.
    I'm letting gear trickle down for decon so at about 9 characters with level 50 woodworking, blacksmithing and clothing.

Getting way more master writs now and making good gold off of writs and surveys. Was able to get grand master crafter by buying a ton of motif pages.

Thanks!
    Edited by ChimpyChumpy on May 7, 2020 5:22PM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm necroing my own thread to say thanks everyone. Got to 18 characters by the end of the last event all now with level 50, alchemy, enchanting and jewelry, as well as botanist, toxicologist enchanting achievements.
    I'm letting gear trickle down for decon so at about 9 characters with level 50 woodworking, blacksmithing and clothing.

Getting way more master writs now and making good gold off of writs and surveys. Was able to get grand master crafter by buying a ton of motif pages.

Thanks!

Glad to hear it!

Your invitation to Writaholics is in the mail. We meet on Tuesday's at 8. If you could bring doughnuts that would be awesome :smile:
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Just so you know, you dont need to max out all the skills and Passives in the Crafting. Just the Material Passives, 10 for each of the Gear and Enchanting and 6 for Provisioning. Alchemy, does not really matter, so keep that at L1. Provisioning, and Alchemy for that matter, only needs to be maxed for easy to do Master Writs.

Jewelry, i see a decent gold return on even the mid tiers, so get them to Rank 2 if you can as soon as possible. Then you can take your time leveling them in that skill. I think it take like 400 intricate items deconstructed. Not sure if making things is a good source for leveling. Use Copper and Silver for early and mid level decon.

Ok so here we go with another question after all! I have botany, toxicolgist and all the rune knoweldge on my wrtis. That means I can take the 14 skill points from apsect improvement, potency improvement and the 8 from solvent proficiency and put them elsewhere? Or would taking away skill pointsimpact materials given out when doing regular writs?
    Edited by ChimpyChumpy on May 16, 2020 4:04PM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Ok so here we go with another question after all! I have botany, toxicolgist and all the rune knoweldge on my wrtis. That means I can take the 14 skill points from apsect improvement, potency improvement and the 8 from solvent proficiency and put them elsewhere? Or would taking away skill pointsimpact materials given out when doing regular writs?

You can take them points out of Aspect Improvement ONLY

If you take them out of Potency or Solvent proficiency, you would then not be doing max level writs. And you'd get absolutely ZERO master writs.
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks tmbrinks!