The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Returning Player, should I race change?

McI
McI
✭✭✭
Hey guys, I just came back after about 9 months or so. I have 3 characters, my main being a Dunmer mDK.

The racial passives have changed since I have been gone. Should I race change? I am currently at 787 CP, and normally solo anyway. But should I go Altmer?

Thanks for any advice.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you aren't planning to min-max for score runs in vet trials or eke out every last advantage in PVP, there's probably no need to race change. Every race can play every role and the difference will be pretty minor. On the other hand, if you want to change it up, go for it.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DKs and Dark Elves are still a good fit.

You have at least 5 more Slots, in you want to play an Altmer, roll a Sorcerer.

Thing is, this game is more balanced than you might think. You could change the racre and maybe the gear and end up at about the same place as you are now.

More efficient would be to make some changes to your rotation, swap out some enchants ( we could all use some more regen) and play on.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nowadays, most races aren't too far off anymore, damage wise. Maybe a few K damage difference. Dark elf is nice for bash weaving, with their extra stam.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    McI wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just came back after about 9 months or so. I have 3 characters, my main being a Dunmer mDK.

The racial passives have changed since I have been gone. Should I race change? I am currently at 787 CP, and normally solo anyway. But should I go Altmer?

Thanks for any advice.

Do you have any race/any alliance? If you have a dunmer, you won't be able to switch to altmer unless you do.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    DKs and Dark Elves are still a good fit.

You have at least 5 more Slots, in you want to play an Altmer, roll a Sorcerer.

Thing is, this game is more balanced than you might think. You could change the racre and maybe the gear and end up at about the same place as you are now.

More efficient would be to make some changes to your rotation, swap out some enchants ( we could all use some more regen) and play on.

This is good advice. Also, unless you are really trying to push your dps for competitive raiding the race passives are not that big of a deal. Not only do they give only flat bonuses instead of % increases but many classes are very close.
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer and Altmer have almost no difference, so not worth it
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
  • Salix_alba
    Salix_alba
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you like your old toon keep them hitting up a respec shrine is less work than building a new toon from scratch
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dunmer is still a solid choice for DPS, even if you are min/maxing. Sustain is the only issue you might encounter, and you can fix that through food or glyphs. Only reason to change races would be if you are really struggling with sustain, then go Breton
  • McI
    McI
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I do happen to have any race, any alliance, as well as 3 race change tokens. But I like how my Dunmer looks, so I will just keep him as is. Thanks again.
  • abuniffpreub18_ESO
    abuniffpreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    Just one quick question on race change, something I've been curious about. When you do a race change does everything change on the one you changed to. In other words does the character you changed to be the same as if you started him from level 1.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @abuniffpreub18_ESO No. It just changes the appearance and racial passives.
  • abuniffpreub18_ESO
    abuniffpreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Raisin wrote: »
    @abuniffpreub18_ESO No. It just changes the appearance and racial passives.

Thank you Raisin, now we know the rest of the story :)