The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Update 25 & moving game between drives - what to keep?

Danikat
Danikat
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
As I'm sure you've heard Update 25 will require all players to re-download the entire game. I want to take the oppertunity to also move ESO to another drive. (Nothing to do with the game, just that I got a new drive recently and it seems like the logical time to do it.) So I'm probably going to delete it entirely and then reinstall in the new location rather than updating and then moving it.

But when I do that I want to keep my addons, addon settings and anything else saved on my end the same, so I don't have to waste time setting everything up again afterwards. I know I'll need to keep the Addons and Saved Variables folders. Is there anything else I should save?

Also on a related note ESO is currently installed in C://Program Files/Zenimax Online, with some stuff in the documents folder, also on C. Will I need to create a new Documents folder on the B drive when I move the game over (and will it need a similar file path) or can I leave that where it is and the game will continue to access it? There doesn't seem to be any consistency with other games I've moved. Some continue to access the Documents folder on C and actually won't look anywhere else, others need one on the same drive.
PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just moved the Game folder onto a new external drive. did not touch anything else and it all worked fine.

Did not touch any of the add-on folders or stuff in Documents

This is on an iMac and it's very good at keeping track of where everything is so if you are on another OS then YMMV

Im sure you'll be ok.
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For PC install the game on your new drive and that's it. The Addon folder is going to be on the C:drive no matter what. It stays where it is so you won't lose anything.

Don't "move" the game, you have to install it for it to work.

I installed ESO on a M.2 drive (not the C: drive) over a year ago and it works fine. Addons stayed installed on the C: drive in Documents.

All good!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help, good to know it's a straight-forward process.
    JanTanhide wrote: »
    Don't "move" the game, you have to install it for it to work.

That's why I've been waiting for Update 25 before doing it. I got the drive back in January, but I knew we were going to have to reinstall and did't want to go through all the hassle twice.

With some games moving them works - cut and paste the folder to a new location and change any shortcuts and then it works as before, but some put files all over the place and then of course it doesn't work if you move some of it. Then it's easier to uninstall and reinstall but keeping save files and things can be a pain.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"