Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

My hopes for Black Reach In Graymoor is being able to explore the history of the Betrayed/Falmer.

Thevampirenight
Thevampirenight
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Going by what we know the Black Reach region will be a new area that is unique to Eso. That it actually extends under all of SKyrim.
That means there is so much we have yet to explore with Black Reach.
While I'm all happy we are going to see a vampire city and all but I do hope they do in fact Explore the Origins of the Falmer.
Going into detail of what I think caused them to become the modern day Falmer and it would be unique if they went into it and I do hope they do so.

Falmer were once snow elves but they devolved or maybe evolved to become the more Blind Goblin Like Creatures we see in Skyrim.
For example the Mushrooms they were forced to eat basically deprived them of their sight but they didn't turn into that fuggy goblin like creature right away. As for what role they played in Dwemer cities. Even though it might be fiction might have some basis in Elder Scrolls reality as to what the Snow Elves Purpose was for the Dwemer.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Ancient_Tales_of_the_Dwemer#Part_VIII:_The_Snow_Elf_and_the_Variation-Lens

What first started the Snow Elves down the path to becoming the Goblin like Falmer started with the Night of Tears. The King and his Sons survive and basically the King comes back with 500 men and over time able to wipe out many of the Snow Elves or Enslaved them. It wasn't instantly but over time they were driven off or butchered by the Nords many forced to flee to the Dwemer for help they agreed to take them in. They agreed to become Blind but over time this blindness goes into the generations of the Snow Elf people. These Proto Falmer would still look like actual elves or still have their original looks. Other then having the blind oracle eyes and appear blind they would still look like snow elves like the two we meet in Skyrim Dawnguard.
tumblr_ozwsnhXnDU1sern9lo1_400.png
Blog2.jpg?fit=636%2C507&ssl=1

The Dwemer took advantage of this blinding and likely put them in the roles of indentured Servants or Slaves in some cases. Likely tending the farms and also being personal assistants that help the Dwemer so they don't have to spend to much time doing Task their constructs were unable to preform. More like Telvanni then dres I think when it came to the servitude and enslavement. The Falmer were still sapient though blind and just as intelligent as the Dwemer and this likely didn't change until the after the Aetherium Wars. The Falmer uprising and escape from the servitude happened i think during that time frame makes sense since that would have been the perfect chance to escape.

Now here is where I think they started to descend into the path of becoming more goblin like. Before the uprising that caused the War of the Crag. They were likely still very intelligent and smart and during this time when the war of the crag started they still looked like Snow Elves and Elves. When they rose up against their captures and fled possibly in great numbers without their sight they couldn't find their way to the surface. But they were not without total lose as this is where these creatures come into play and likely the reason why they looked like they did in Skryim.
518y4a5pqo9y.jpg
If you notice the Falmer nose and the looks of the creature it has the same nose like characteristics if you really look closely that the Falmer have.

These creatures are called the chaurus the Falmer have domesticated them but I believe they are also the reason they ended up looking like the Modern Falmer. The Falmer needed an advantage against the Dwemer obviously so they needed weapons armor and whatever they could make but also food and shelter. The eggs like the fungus were likely heavily consumed by these Falmer and this is what led to their future devolution or evolution. Not only would the Chaurus eggs an important food source for these falmer but also the years of war which called the War of the Crag which likely lasted till the Dwemer Disappeared. The many years of war between the Dwemer and their constructs and the Falmer and their Chaurus's likely made the Falmer them lose all sense of what they once were and the eating of Chaurus eggs gave them more insectoid like characteristics.
The consumption of their eggs likely altered them not only to look like this but also gave other benefits to them as well.
16ae35bbe5020455c67593b2470742a9.jpg
DiFHp4qUEAAlFab.jpg
82826c88fd0bd9475c0595f3e53a0e5be676386a_hq.jpg

Such as the ability to tunnel through the ground like the Chaurus which also explains their hunched positions and their size. So not only did they learn how to survive underground but they thrived in it.
800px-SR-trap-Falmer_Hive.jpg

Hopefully they will be able to explore the history of the Falmer what are your thoughts?
Edited by Thevampirenight on February 11, 2020 9:43AM
PC NA
Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting ideas, but I prefer when some things are left unexplained.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bradyfjord wrote: »
    Interesting ideas, but I prefer when some things are left unexplained.

They have the Dwemer for that. Not everything has to be a Mystery. Whats the fun in Mystery's if you can never find out the truth. No I think it would be nice to see them and I want to see it explained. I do and I think they should. They left the Dwemer vague so we can guess they don't need to do that to the Falmer. But I think it should be done in a way that allows our characters to find it all out in quests and though new lore books. Which would be really neat if they did it.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on February 11, 2020 9:51AM
    PC NA
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, they don't have to give away everything.

It might be interesting if we get to see how they are in the second era, whatever that may be. If they are more intelligible, then wouldn't that lend them to being more interesting adversaries... or allies?

Rather than explore the past, it might be interesting to see how the Falmer are dealing with their affliction. We know how they end up, but it would it not make them more sympathetic if they were fighting against their inevitable decline. Perhaps we could even get a questline to try and help them deal with their troubles?

I guess I agree with the spirit of your post, so perhaps I'll have to take back what I said. :)
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bradyfjord wrote: »
    Well, they don't have to give away everything.

It might be interesting if we get to see how they are in the second era, whatever that may be. If they are more intelligible, then wouldn't that lend them to being more interesting adversaries... or allies?

Rather than explore the past, it might be interesting to see how the Falmer are dealing with their affliction. We know how they end up, but it would it not make them more sympathetic if they were fighting against their inevitable decline. Perhaps we could even get a questline to try and help them deal with their troubles?

I guess I agree with the spirit of your post, so perhaps I'll have to take back what I said. :)

Given a lot of the chapters main selling point is exploring and digging up lost history and trying to figure it out and becoming a renowned anthropologist. It would be great if we could do that with the Falmer exploring and finding lost history about this unique race . True we won't find out everything but to give us a better idea of how they came to be. Its a rich history that has yet to be fully explored. Hopefully we will be able to meet more non goblin like snow elves.
    Maybe a couple of Snow Elf Vampires within the new Vampire City they are adding in Blackreach. Just something that involves Snow Elves and the Betrayed and go more into their history would be nice.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on February 11, 2020 10:13AM
    PC NA
  • Thokri
    Thokri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say "crossbreed" snow elves with chaurus via magical experiments in order to make better slaves/foot soldiers is something dwemer could do.
    Possibly even as effective unit to battle against other dwemers. I could see falmer beating slave snow elves on war.
    I highly doubt dwemer society was unified.

Perhaps as punishment for those who rebelled at first. Couple got out/were abandoned and got dominant outside dwemer controlled territory and as apex predator, simply took over ecosystem.

After disappearance of dwemer these now so called falmer just started to obtain more territory as possible, having none or any natural predators.

Rebellious slaves that have been punished and beaten idea being inferior to core often devolve when there are no longer masters. This behavior is not exclusive to humans, it can be seen on animals. Ones that have been long on captivity rarely survive in wild.
    I would assume intelligent being that has been degraded on social level to animal could very well take on place as apex predator simply due higher intelligence.
    Edited by Thokri on February 11, 2020 10:30AM
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thokri wrote: »
    I would say "crossbreed" snow elves with chaurus via magical experiments in order to make better slaves/foot soldiers is something dwemer could do.
    Possibly even as effective unit to battle against other dwemers. I could see falmer beating slave snow elves on war.
    I highly doubt dwemer society was unified.

Perhaps as punishment for those who rebelled at first. Couple got out/were abandoned and got dominant outside dwemer controlled territory and as apex predator, simply took over ecosystem.

After disappearance of dwemer these now so called falmer just started to obtain more territory as possible, having none or any natural predators.

Rebellious slaves that have been punished and beaten idea being inferior to core often devolve when there are no longer masters. This behavior is not exclusive to humans, it can be seen on animals. Ones that have been long on captivity rarely survive in wild.
    I would assume intelligent being that has been degraded on social level to animal could very well take on place as apex predator simply due higher intelligence.

Well I doubt they cross bred them magically. They could have done horrible things to them and almost certainly done horrible things to them. They did after all take away their sight and did force them into indentured servitude. Yes I do think they did things to them beyond imagine but I think their deevolution or becoming what they did could be a tragedy as a result of all that happened plus eating the Chaurus eggs.
    According to words of one of the two snow elves we encountered that did not take the Dwemer's Bargain
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Knight-Paladin_Gelebor
    The blinding of my race was supposedly accomplished with a toxin. Certainly not enough to devolve them into the sad and twisted beings they've become. The Chantry is quite isolated, so it took some time for word of the dwarves' offer to reach us here.

The toxin was not enough to turn them into what they became going by his words. So there would have to be other factors whether the dwemer did something or the Falmer became that way in their fight for freedom. I do think the Chaurus is a big factor into their overall appearance however. Otherwise they would be feral like blind elves instead of looking like Goblins.
    It is interesting and I'm hoping they allow us to explore into it.
    PC NA
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well from what I saw on PTS datamine I can assume possibility thats we will meet falmers in Blackreach or in depths of Markarth dwemer ruins, but they be more like feral altmers from Corgrad Wastes and less troglodyte monster like we saw in Skyrim, so I hope there will be more texts and perhaps even dialogues with falmers, more Lore about their culture, what if Betrayed abandon they worship to sun of Auriel and embrace darkness of Namira? She is patron of such nasty things as vermin and chaurus from what falmers get benefits in darkness of caves to survive can be boon from Namira.

This costume looks like made out of chaurus chitin
    Harboursworn Occultist
    aw_crwn_costumes_harbourswornoccultist_1x1.jpg
    Gloomlurker Markings, gloomlurkers was one of kinds of falmer hunters in Skyrim and Legends
    aw_crwn_fm_gloomlurker_ivt_10448_1x1.jpg
    aw_crwn_bm_gloomlurker_ivt_10438_1x1.jpg
    Look at this pose, he looks like gnawing bone and Namira like cannibals as we know.
    aw_crwn_memento_bonediggerstrinket_1x1.jpg
    0dff56f08a32468f3c079c39757a4b60.gif

• Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well from what I saw on PTS datamine I can assume possibility thats we will meet falmers in Blackreach or in depths of Markarth dwemer ruins, but they be more like feral altmers from Corgrad Wastes and less troglodyte monster like we saw in Skyrim, so I hope there will be more texts and perhaps even dialogues with falmers, more Lore about their culture, what if Betrayed abandon they worship to sun of Auriel and embrace darkness of Namira? She is patron of such nasty things as vermin and chaurus from what falmers get benefits in darkness of caves to survive can be boon from Namira.

This costume looks like made out of chaurus chitin
    Harboursworn Occultist
    aw_crwn_costumes_harbourswornoccultist_1x1.jpg
    Gloomlurker Markings, gloomlurkers was one of kinds of falmer hunters in Skyrim and Legends
    aw_crwn_fm_gloomlurker_ivt_10448_1x1.jpg
    aw_crwn_bm_gloomlurker_ivt_10438_1x1.jpg
    Look at this pose, he looks like gnawing bone and Namira like cannibals as we know.
    aw_crwn_memento_bonediggerstrinket_1x1.jpg
    0dff56f08a32468f3c079c39757a4b60.gif

I think the markings will be in the gloomspore crate.
    Not sure if the Harborsworn are wearing Chaurus chitin but its possible. *Shrugs*
    As for Namira I'm not sure and given her tendency to have followers that worship in the darkest of places it might be possible that some Falmer might be worshiping her. Interesting connection we might have to wait for Greymoor or the Reach to learn more on Namiras connection to things. If there is a connection with her somehow would be intriguing to find out what that is.
    PC NA