Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New to eso pvp, somewhat confused

jolm
jolm
Soul Shriven
Hey,

So I played wow pvp for years, bgs and arenas.

Never too great, but always above average.

So now I’m here, enjoying the game, but confused af with adjusting to targeting, and even just the simple concepts of rotation.

I’m level 39, playing a sorcerer.

I picked it because I always played a lot of ranged casters (or warrior).

So I started mag, but switched to Stam so I could swing a sweet 2hander and it feels good.

So any advice for a eso bg newcomer would be great.

I love bgs, and would like to understand a little better how to perform playwise.

I love capture the relic btw.

Oh, and if there is any class/spec concept similar to arms warrior from wow I’d be happy to hear what it is.

Best Answer

• exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jolm wrote: »
    Thanks.

I played probably a few thousands bgs, rateds, and arenas over 10+ years in wow.

So I did notice that the weapon lines allow for some really cool mixes, and I switched from magsorc to stamsorc last week (around level 34) and its been pretty cool swinging a 2hander and also using lightning.

Kinda enhance shaman style for a somewhat comparison.

I’ve been doing a decent chunk of bgs to get the hang of it, and i think the hardest part has been staying on my target.

I’m starting to get the hang (barely) of rolling, as well as kicking, both of which I moved to mousewheel.

It’s just a steep learning curve, which I definitely had in wow circa 2006/7, but I guess after so many years and it becoming so rote (in a good way) it’s awkward hopping in and feeling soooo out of my comfort zone.

I just got vigor and it’s been a huge improvement to my survivability.

Thanks a ton though, really good help.

Any advice on targeting, sticking on a target (melee as well as casting)?

Well since eso is reticle target based and not tab target based, there is not psuedo lock on here. There is a target highlight feature but its use is very limited. The best thing to do for sticking to target is just executing the same kind of mouse / wasd movement skill you generally employ in fps games. 2h gap closer and sorceress streak do help you stay on target, the later being a bit harder to afford on a stam sorc. Streak is this games equivalent to mages blink but subsequent casts become more and more expensive and it costs magicka. 2h gapcloser charge is far more affordable for a stam build and you can hammer on it for nearly as long as your target is trying to run from you.

Beyond that it's just about making sure you are properly placing your reticle on the target and the acquisition range is very lenient in this game so it's not really about precision.

Where it gets tricky is when you are within a group of targets and want to isolate a single one. To this point it's just about making sure you are in the right position. Esos combat is very "wide" in the sense that there are a lot of hard hitting tools that have aoe components to them, 2h ult hits aoe, fighters guild ult hits aoe, 2h execute has a morph that deals splash damage. This plays into the design philosophy on the defensive end as well, since most healing in eso is smart and not specifically targeted unless it's a floore based aoe heal. So basically often times you will lay into groups for cleave and in 1v1s it's easy to stick to a target.

Stam sorcs are definitely mostly akin to an OG 2h enhance shaman but it's more thematic than anything. You dont have a whirl wind strike proc, they used to, but that's been changed. One of your key abilities as a stam sorc is lightning form. There is a morph of that skill which is critical to stam sorcs called hurricane. It turns lightning form into a stamina based ability and as such scales off of weapon damage. This is how you will gain your resistance buff (major resolve as I mentioned in my previous post) and it will generate a wind storm around you that slowly increases in size and damage until you refresh it.

Stam sorc is fun.
    Answer ✓
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jolm wrote: »
    Hey,

So I played wow pvp for years, bgs and arenas.

Never too great, but always above average.

So now I’m here, enjoying the game, but confused af with adjusting to targeting, and even just the simple concepts of rotation.

I’m level 39, playing a sorcerer.

I picked it because I always played a lot of ranged casters (or warrior).

So I started mag, but switched to Stam so I could swing a sweet 2hander and it feels good.

So any advice for a eso bg newcomer would be great.

I love bgs, and would like to understand a little better how to perform playwise.

I love capture the relic btw.

Oh, and if there is any class/spec concept similar to arms warrior from wow I’d be happy to hear what it is.

Its important to not get too caught up in the trap that is trying to aquire an analogous class here compared to wow. There are some things that can be directly mirrored or compared to but ultimately it will not be a similar experience for a number of reasons that stem beyond just the class design and creep more into fundamental core gameplay aspects that different between the two games. So with that being said.

Think of arms warrior. Melee, tanky, burst heavy with setup and longer intervals.for damage windows. On paper in eso ANY 2h build can come close to this. If we are talking performance wise and not thematics, stamina dragon knight, stamina necro and stamina warden can all achieve this. The 2 hander skill line has your charge, your execute, and if you want,your primary hard hitting spammable (most comparable to the old cast time Slam warriors had). Honestly the well is fairly deep but the 2h skill line is the primary enabler for a warrior like playstyle with class skill lines fulfilling various different aspects that you would see from an arms warrior in wow.

I'm not sure how much pvp you did in wow but you should know that not having a trinket or long per ability cool downs changes things drastically. Unlike wows arms warrior that has to calculate when they gap close, when they spell reflect etc etc, a melee build in eso is FAR less prone to getting kited to death since your gap closer is only bound by your primary resource pool with no CD, of which you have plenty and when you run out you are dead regardless. You will rarely found yourself in a similar situation to the iconic poor matchup that is the ice mage vs the arms warrior in eso.

Stam sorc on the other hand is generally a more mobile playstyle without a real wow comparison. But still has access to the 2h skill line and if you want, they can be built tanky as well. As for advice, honestly you are still low level. Spend time leveing up doing your daily bgs and get to 160cp and in that time you will likely have fewer questions than you do now which will save yourself a lot of time and energy. There are a number of tips that most on here could shower you with, but frankly alot of them won't apply to you until you gain access to alot of the later game resources.

Some basic principles though...

Eso has a 1sec GCD
    White attacks in ESO are not auto, meaning you should always do a light attack before every GCD skill use.

Defensive actions such as block or roll dodge are available to you at any point so long as you are not stunned. These are off the GCD and will always cancel any hard cast or channel ability that you are doing.

Swapping your bar is also off the GCD, so make sure you are on the bar you need to be on each and every time your GCD is up so you have access to the skill you need as soon as possible.

Roots are soft CC and are broken with roll dodge

Hard CCs are broken with break free which costs stamina and Grant's you 7 seconds of immunity, this is ESOs equivalent of a trinket but is far more generous in uptime so long as you manage your stamina.

Everyone in eso has a "kick", however it will take time and experience to understand and identify which abilities can and cannot be kicked. In ESO it's called bash and it as well costs stam, make sure to use it.

As a general rule but not always the case with a few exceptions, the potency or effectiveness of a skill is determined by what type of resource it costs to use. If the skill costs stamina to use, then the skill will be improved by your max stamina pool and your weapon damage, likewise if it costs magicka, it scales off max magicka pool and spell damage. Stamina builds generally reserve their magicka pool for utility buffs and tools and not for offense or healing themsleves.

A well rounded pvp stamina build will require these buffs, stat goals and ability type at the bare minimum.

Major brutality - weapon damage
    Major endurance - stamina regen
    Major resolve - resistance
    Major savagery - weapon crit
    Impenetrable trait on gear - crit resistance
    At least 1600 stamina regen - varies with class
    An execute - for some classes, ultimate fulfills this
    Gap closer
    Vigor - stamina based self hot
    Hard stun - numerous options depending on class
    Primary spammable - ^
    Edited by exeeter702 on February 9, 2020 6:21PM
  • jolm
    jolm
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks.

I played probably a few thousands bgs, rateds, and arenas over 10+ years in wow.

So I did notice that the weapon lines allow for some really cool mixes, and I switched from magsorc to stamsorc last week (around level 34) and its been pretty cool swinging a 2hander and also using lightning.

Kinda enhance shaman style for a somewhat comparison.

I’ve been doing a decent chunk of bgs to get the hang of it, and i think the hardest part has been staying on my target.

I’m starting to get the hang (barely) of rolling, as well as kicking, both of which I moved to mousewheel.

It’s just a steep learning curve, which I definitely had in wow circa 2006/7, but I guess after so many years and it becoming so rote (in a good way) it’s awkward hopping in and feeling soooo out of my comfort zone.

I just got vigor and it’s been a huge improvement to my survivability.

Thanks a ton though, really good help.

Any advice on targeting, sticking on a target (melee as well as casting)?