The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Small Group PvP: Secondary Healer Spec?

Rizz_the_Filthy_Dino
Hey guys! Returning from a long hiatus and lots of stuff has changed, so I'm looking for some opinions on the secondary focus of a magden healer. I have my own playstyle and really don't want to be flamed for it, but I'd like some opinions. I play full on support heals and focus on damage/defence buffing, defiles, and CCs. There are only so many slots you can put on a bar, so what do you guys like most?

I currently run Pariahs, Transmutation, Bogdans, and Blackrose Restro Staff. When I don't run Pariahs, I run Reactive, Steadfast Hero, Fasalla's Guile. Each have their own merits

I don't have a lot of problems with survivability, so I'm currently testing out double defiles with Corrupting Pollon smap with Fasalla's Guile, and then just pulling people into my Permafrost with Frozen Retreat. I love that skill, Frozen Retreat. Gives a little "treat" (okay bad pun) to my allies and pulls them to me, but also pulls enemies to me. This type of playstyle really requires a coordinated team to work although, it isn't really friendly towards solo-play, which I care less about. Thoughts and opinions?
PC-NA
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't have much to say because i just returned from a lengthy break myself, but Steadfast was nerfed badly. It went from lasting 5 seconds with a 10 second cd, to still 5 secs with a 20 sec cd.

Permafrost was nerfed too. Barely does any dmg and doesn't stun anymore. The other morph retained its dmg, and now it only increases max mag for 30 secs.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Rizz_the_Filthy_Dino
    big oof :/
    PC-NA
  • Gravord
    Gravord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys! Returning from a long hiatus and lots of stuff has changed, so I'm looking for some opinions on the secondary focus of a magden healer. I have my own playstyle and really don't want to be flamed for it, but I'd like some opinions. I play full on support heals and focus on damage/defence buffing, defiles, and CCs. There are only so many slots you can put on a bar, so what do you guys like most?

I currently run Pariahs, Transmutation, Bogdans, and Blackrose Restro Staff. When I don't run Pariahs, I run Reactive, Steadfast Hero, Fasalla's Guile. Each have their own merits

I don't have a lot of problems with survivability, so I'm currently testing out double defiles with Corrupting Pollon smap with Fasalla's Guile, and then just pulling people into my Permafrost with Frozen Retreat. I love that skill, Frozen Retreat. Gives a little "treat" (okay bad pun) to my allies and pulls them to me, but also pulls enemies to me. This type of playstyle really requires a coordinated team to work although, it isn't really friendly towards solo-play, which I care less about. Thoughts and opinions?

Depends. Whos the other healer and what sets does he run?
  • Rizz_the_Filthy_Dino
    No other healer, just myself. I normally get anywhere between 800k~1.2mil heals on consistent basis. I want to offer more than heals, but not DPS. I want to offer utility, buffs, and debuffs.
    PC-NA
  • Gravord
    Gravord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No other healer, just myself. I normally get anywhere between 800k~1.2mil heals on consistent basis. I want to offer more than heals, but not DPS. I want to offer utility, buffs, and debuffs.

Oka the "secondary healer" got me confused as if its duo healer setup.
    You can consider Gossamer over Transmutation and Thurvokun as monster set.

Thats how it looks like in action:
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/508399903?collection=BMx6JKIkMxVbcQ
  • Commandment
    Commandment
    ✭✭✭

Unfortunately for you, if you're doing BG's you can't play with your friends starting next patch.
  • Rizz_the_Filthy_Dino

Unfortunately for you, if you're doing BG's you can't play with your friends starting next patch.

Yeah, I actually just rerolled a stamden because I 100% refuse to heal randoms, I enjoy healing in coordinated groups. Not necessarily premades, I enjoy duoing as well.
    PC-NA
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I actually just rerolled a stamden because I 100% refuse to heal randoms, I enjoy healing in coordinated groups. Not necessarily premades, I enjoy duoing as well.
    At higher MMR (which is about to be reset, and will take a little time to shake out properly again), you can frequently get players on your team that are worth healing. Even if you're playing a primarily offensive role, a little cross-healing can really go a long way.

When I was playing Magicka Warden, I was sorta-kinda hybrid between damage and heals, and would adjust playstyle from game to game, depending on how things were going. The class should still be quite strong for that sort of build (which is more viable with tryhard premades out of the mix), if you wanted to have a setup that wasn't 100% pure healing/support. I'm basically playing Magicka Necromancer the same way I did the Warden, it's just significantly worse at...well, basically everything. Except cleansing I guess.

If you really wanna go Stam that's cool, but it'd probably be a lot less hassle and expense to switch up your sets and make modest changes to playstyle, rather than switching to Stam and potentially having to level a bunch of skills, morphs and their respective lines.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »

At higher MMR (which is about to be reset, and will take a little time to shake out properly again), you can frequently get players on your team that are worth healing. Even if you're playing a primarily offensive role, a little cross-healing can really go a long way.

When I was playing Magicka Warden, I was sorta-kinda hybrid between damage and heals, and would adjust playstyle from game to game, depending on how things were going. The class should still be quite strong for that sort of build (which is more viable with tryhard premades out of the mix), if you wanted to have a setup that wasn't 100% pure healing/support. I'm basically playing Magicka Necromancer the same way I did the Warden, it's just significantly worse at...well, basically everything. Except cleansing I guess.

If you really wanna go Stam that's cool, but it'd probably be a lot less hassle and expense to switch up your sets and make modest changes to playstyle, rather than switching to Stam and potentially having to level a bunch of skills, morphs and their respective lines.

I agree with wheem, that’s how I play too.

Sometimes you’ll get another healer and a tank in a random game, stuff like that makes pure roles subpar. I much prefer setting myself up for damage and healing, then in a situation like that focus more on damage.

With BGs becoming purely solo queueing being versatile I’m pretty confident will be the best way to win.

It doesn’t take too much as a MagWarden too: bugs every 3rd cast, a spammable and Invig drain to pin the dodge rolly guys. As a MagWarden I settled on only those 3, which makes me tanky AF but unable to kill anyone solo unless they’re a potato.

If you don’t want to dps but want a + on top of healing, play tankier. A lot of people are squishier than wardens and using shimmer + northern storm you can front line for the ranged pew pew types by body blocking. A LOT of players are scared to push, so you can be the front line leader type.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 16, 2020 12:25AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten