Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

magblade or stamblade?

fiender66
fiender66
✭✭✭✭
Abused question, I fear, but let me sketch my experience about this.
I tried 2 toons on PTS, both NB, one stam the other mag, builded Alcast wise. Now, the mag was clearly superior in my hands, and the same happened using the 25lvl.
So, I started a live bret magblade, putting aside my dunmer stamblade. My opinion? Raising a magblade is a real PITA, especially if you are accustomed to sorc and/or plar: decent sustain, but slack DPS, and the really good skills are gotten fairly late (I'm thinking of Merciless Resolve, Siphoning Attacks, but also the Shade, that is a good complement). When stam, you have good DW and Bow early skills to use, nothing comparable for the staff
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Both are good? Play what you like! I like magblade for PvE because magblade healing is also fun, and Swallow Soul + Impale let you play fully ranged, while Soul Harvest is a big ult gen boost in certain content. But I don't run vet dungeons for magblade atm

I mostly play PvP magblade—the kit has a lot of interesting and powerful tools that are just hard to choose between >_>
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Rory_FightingToFifty
    I have two stamblades and two magblades, and have played NB since launch.

Personally, I have always preferred stamblade. I just think the skills are more fun, and the damage being off the charts makes them feel powerful and like true assassins.

Either takes some time and skill to master. Of all the classes, they might be the most distinct. And they get some pretty powerful abilities at high level...so you don’t really get a feel for their true power until they’re ranked.

They’re up and down as patches come and go, but I still love my stamblade in PvP or pve even years into the game. I have all the classes, but I always go back to him when I want to have fun and wreck something.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade plays quite different to other classes. It requires a bit of a change in play style and in general has a higher skill cap to use effectively. It can be fiddly to use.

That goes for if you play magblade, or stamblade, both can be quite different to other classes mag and stam variants.

Personally I have more experience with Stamblade, as I have both PVP and a PVE stamblade characters. I love both and use each to great effect, the PVP character more so. Recently however I created (its a work in progress) a proper Magblade and I am absolutely loving it. I am finding the style of play really enjoyable (PVE).

I did my first dps parse last night and I was pleasantly surprised. Its comparing very well, in an incomplete state (not optimised traits/enchants/only blue gear/sub optimal sets at present), to my other main dps characters, so the build itself that I have come up with seems viable and will improve as I progress towards completion.

For me personally, I enjoy stamblade more for PVP, and the Magblade for PVE.