The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ranking DLC/Chapters based on Storylines and Zone Content [Updated 2021]

Lethallin
Lethallin
✭✭✭
My friend and I were debating on a list for the best DLC/Chapters based on their Storyline/Quests and their Zone Content,
I've added spoiler tags to avoid spoiling any parts from the questlines/zones, so here's my list (feel free to list yours!):

1. Summerset:
I CRIED, there has been no other questline in this entire game that has made me CRY. So much happened so quickly, the characters grew so quickly! (I grew attached to them as well, damn) While the grind for the Psijic order skills was a little bit boring (can't beat the Lorebooks!) it did pay off, especially with the Psijic body and facial markings (and that Psijic swimming cap as well!). I can't even number the amount of times I've done the Cloudrest trial, it is so fun and the skin is badass!

2. Morrowind:
Not only is the main questline for this Chapter (yes it will always remain a CHAPTER to me, as it is a CHAPTER of the Daedric Triad incursions) great, but so are the side quests! Veya Releth and the Morag Tong (give us her hairstyle amirite?), uhm the Scarlet Judge and the vestige becoming the new SJ, the Telvanni questline where you get one of the best personalities in the game (floating books ftw)… The nostalgia oh lord... and the darn music playing in the background while you're helping Vivec out or adventuring in Nchuleftingth or some other Dwemer ruin. There's just so much opportunity in this chapter! Oh and uh two words 'FABRICATION SHEATH' aka the BEST skin in the game, obtainable from the Halls of Fabrication; one of my favourite trials on veteran but also one of the glitchiest trials unfortunately.

3. Clockwork City:
I love the Daedric Triad 'Story' (as there are essentially three chapters, I don't care what zos calls them) and I love Sotha Sil! Clockwork City gave to us what Morrowind didn't (this DLC also made me understand that Seht is literally the only Tribunal God that actually uses their power wisely and doesn't abuse it, knowledge and getting to know how to be immortal without vampirism ftw). I've been inside of Red Mountain, but the best spot that is unreachable by normal means is DEFINITELY in Clockwork City, just the constant spinning of cogs and the eternal night sky... agh! (the screenshot I took reminds me of Tatooine from Star Wars). I loved Nocturnal in Oblivion and Skyrim, this chapter alone made me hate her, Summerset made me hate her even more! Asylum Sanctorium.. and uh Saint Olms (used to make up fake rp stuff with him, uh using Mages Guild persuasion and Fighters Guild intimidation of course) riiight the Sanctified Silver skin is the second best skin in this game (silver skin + Argonians= heaven). This chapter has also produced some of the best motif pages in this game, the apostle and the ebonshadow motifs (Like Clockwork, eh?) FACTOTUMS, FACTOTUMS FACTOTUMS!

4. Elsweyr (Northern):
Exploring Northern Elsweyr was so fun, even though I was a bit conspicuous about the dragons at first. The questline was interesting and quite sad at the same time, three words: 'I LOVE CADWELL' I absolutely love the Sunspire Trial (even though the skin is a recycled frost skin with added Cheeto hands and legs!) I've almost done as many Sunspire runs as I've done Cloudrest. I also love the female khajiit bards, I could listen to 'Dancing Among the Flowers Fine' for hours on repeat (same with the track that plays in the background when you explore Elsweyr)

5. Murkmire:
I found certain aspects of this DLC quite interesting, as not much lore around the Argonians has been introduced, Murkmire most definitely filled a bit of the void around the Argonians (especially with the transgender argonian couple, which was SO sweet!). I loved exploring Murkmire, sneaking around incapacitating plants and listening to the music in the background.. Oh.. Swamp Jellies and Scuttlebloom are by far the cutest additions to the game so far! (besides Bantam guars and Darien Gautier, of course)

6. Orsinium:
The main questline had somewhat of a spark in it, but it was just simply boring, and I found navigating around Wrothgar annoying as there would be cliffs left-right-and-centre. The relic hunting for the House of Orsimer glories was pretty fun I will say. Oh then there's Maelstrom Arena, which everyone has a love-hate relationship with (don't deny it!).

7. Thieves Guild:
Sooo boring, even the grind to get levels (especially if you get caught doing Kari's hitlist, and having to go to the places again... The Maw of Lorkhaj Trial however brings this up because the skin is pretty nice and the trial itself is quite fun. The costumes gained from doing this questline also bring it up, the Thieves guild garb is just *chef's kiss*

8. Dark Brotherhood:
Long and boring, just like the Thieves Guild questline (same **** different faction) some of the style pages obtained from the zone are alright (minotaur chests and helmet style pages are the best) but the time that it takes to complete the storyline just brings it down (don't even get me started on the black sacrament list + the nightblade superiority complex).

9. Imperial City:
Why does this even have a questline? It has no direction whatsoever, and the only quest that was good was the final quest. I was lucky to be on a nightblade to actually do this questline, because I was scared of getting ganked mid-quest, oh boi

Other (DLC I haven't completed yet)
- Southern Elsweyr: Probably somewhere between Murkmire and Orsinium because the ESO Team SPOILED the story for me by pinning the ending of it on their Twitter page!
- Greymoor: I'm getting super close to doing this questline, and I am SUPER excited! I love lore around vampires and werewolves, and this Chapter seems to have a nice balance of both from the looks of it. It is likely gonna be in between CWC and Summerset (or even on top of Summerset)
- Markarth: I did a bit of zone exploration, and this is honestly up near CWC with its sheer beauty. I feel like it is going to be in between CWC and Elsweyr
- Blackwood: This zone is gorgeous, I love the mixture between Argonian, Ayleid and Imperial architecture, I haven't gotten to the questline yet, so I'm hyped for it!
Edited by Lethallin on September 16, 2021 1:25AM
Master Outfitter
Formerly on Xbox NA server, CP 1009 (Joined October 15, 2017)
Avela Hlaalu: Dunmer Mag DK
Mends-the-Stars: Argonian Warden Healer
Arainai Sulah'Nehn: Breton Magplar
Zevrana Fen'Ris: Orc Stamblade
V'Laste: Altmer Magblade
-Hot: Breton Mag DK
Necromina: Breton Necromancer Healer
-Cute: Orc Stamcro
Eletania Valarian: Breton Templar Healer

Now on PC NA server, CP 380 (Joined December 26, 2019)
Avela Hlaalu: Dunmer Magcro
Mender of Stars: Khajiit Warden Healer
-Fenris: Bosmer Stamden
Mends-the-Guars: Argonian Nightblade Healer
-Lavellan: Breton Templar Healer
-Solas: Breton Magblade
-Vakarian: Breton Magsorc