Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Are light attacks direct damage?

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I've always assumed that light attacks are direct damage, because:
  • It's obvious that they're supposed to be.
  • The Imperial racial passive returning resources on light attacks would be terrible for tanks if they weren't.

But googling to confirm this is yielding inconclusive results, apparent due to ESO's usual stew of bugs and inconsistencies.

So what's the actual state of affairs? :)

Thanks!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Any damage that is all at once is direct damage. Damage is basically either direct or DoT. There have been some issues with specific skills but I think/hope all that has been corrected with the revamp going on. I do not think LAs as direct damage were ever in question.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. In which context? Does that mean they're triple-dipping in Master-At-Arms AND Staff / Physical Weapon Expert AND Mighty / Elemental Expert. Cause I suspect not, e.g. not Master-At-Arms. I do not know, though.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, in the CP system attacks use multiple categories.

All abilities with get the Direct (Master at arms) or DoT (Thaumaturge) CP and the damage type (Ele Expert or MIghty) CP modifiers.

LA's get those and the LA modifier. So, yes it's 3. However, most do not put a large amount into the LA CP category as it effects a smaller portion of damage than say MaA's (which does LA+all other direct damage). But it's still worth it to put some in there as the CP cost per % point is so low when no points are spent in a category.

All of the above's actual damage is further effected by penetration and crit damage CP categories as well.