The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can someone please explain to me why I'm lagging so bad in Battlegrounds?

Legate_Lanius
Legate_Lanius
✭✭✭
Right off the bat I want to say I play other online games such as one with 32vs32 players in a medium sized map and have 0 lag.

I'm missing the 50 kills achievement and a BG win to obtain the Midyear laurels, but right now it's simply extremely frustrating. around 6min to get a match, getting facerolled by ubergeared folks and all with a very nasty lag which makes the game unplayable if you want to land a kill. It's a miracle I managed to get 2 and 1 kills in my last games.

I don't have this issue with others games but ESO. I reinstalled the game on my SSD and set the graphics to potato medium. Still lagging like crazy. Meanwhile the other players don't seem to have this issue. I just don't understand what's the source of the issue since on my side I can play other online game with higher requirements and more players without ANY issue at all.

Any idea ? I feel that everything is there to prevent me from finishing this damn achievement. 2020 and still lagging...
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dmKYVP8.jpg
    Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't play BGs (or pvp at all) - but if you're seeing something in your game that seems not to be happening to others in the same instance, it might be a better idea to address this with tech support. They might be able to offer some diagnostic steps to help you figure it out. Good luck to you!

@ZOS_BillE
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about lagging but in the last hour I've crashed to desktop twice from BGs and received deserter penalties and also spent 5 minutes in a bg load screen before being booted back to Vivec with a "cannot enter battleground" message. Fun times.

I just made it in to complete my daily event quest before midnight but only just.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because after 6 years of performance being an important thing to occasionally promise, nothing has been done to actually improve it.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Right off the bat I want to say I play other online games such as one with 32vs32 players in a medium sized map and have 0 lag.
    That is completely irrelevant.
    and all with a very nasty lag which makes the game unplayable if you want to land a kill. It's a miracle I managed to get 2 and 1 kills in my last games.
    What server? What type of lag? There are different types and they all have different causes. What are your framerates/ ping( per the in game FPS/ping monitor) when you are experiencing this lag?
    I reinstalled the game on my SSD and set the graphics to potato medium. Still lagging like crazy. Meanwhile the other players don't seem to have this issue. I just don't understand what's the source of the issue since on my side I can play other online game with higher requirements and more players without ANY issue at all.
    It could be a variety of issues. Some examples of causes people dont usually think about( not saying this is you): Someone else in your household using bandwidth( streaming or updating), antivirus running a scan in the background, etc. So you have to try to narrow the field and then see what it might specifically be.

What hardware are you running?
    O/S?
    CPU?
    Memory?
    Graphics Card?
    You said an SSD. How much free space is on it?
    Do you connect through Steam?
    Do you experience the lag everywhere? only in similar situations? or only in BGs?
  • Legate_Lanius
    Legate_Lanius
    ✭✭✭
    and all with a very nasty lag which makes the game unplayable if you want to land a kill. It's a miracle I managed to get 2 and 1 kills in my last games.
    What server? What type of lag? There are different types and they all have different causes. What are your framerates/ ping( per the in game FPS/ping monitor) when you are experiencing this lag?
    I reinstalled the game on my SSD and set the graphics to potato medium. Still lagging like crazy. Meanwhile the other players don't seem to have this issue. I just don't understand what's the source of the issue since on my side I can play other online game with higher requirements and more players without ANY issue at all.
    It could be a variety of issues. Some examples of causes people dont usually think about( not saying this is you): Someone else in your household using bandwidth( streaming or updating), antivirus running a scan in the background, etc. So you have to try to narrow the field and then see what it might specifically be.

O/S?
    CPU?
    Memory?
    Graphics Card?
    Do you experience the lag everywhere? only in similar situations? or only in BGs?

First, I find it funny how you dismiss my very first point. As for me it clearly indicates it’s not on my end since I can play games with not only higher graphics but content that are more stressful than ESO’s 2014 assets. Game made by a kickstarter team by the way, not a AAA studio.

How it is irrelevant when I can play other actual online games just fine with often much higher requirements and ESO proves to be a challenge in a smallscale battleground because it lags for no reason ? It makes 0 sense.

Input lag, characters stopping then teleporting due to lag etc.

My setup is more than fine, as is the memory and space on it.

Clearly when I do a lil research it’s obvious that there are stability issues with the servers both EU where I am and NA.

I’m using the Steam launcher but I doubt 17k people would be playing daily (except PvE where it’s ok) if it was in this state everyday.
  • Micah_Bayer
    Micah_Bayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's Zos. They have terrible servers.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

O/S?
    CPU?
    Memory?
    Graphics Card?

First, I find it funny how you dismiss my very first point. As for me it clearly indicates it’s not on my end since I can play games with not only higher graphics but content that are more stressful than ESO’s 2014 assets. Game made by a kickstarter team by the way, not a AAA studio.

How it is irrelevant when I can play other actual online games just fine with often much higher requirements and ESO proves to be a challenge in a smallscale battleground because it lags for no reason ? It makes 0 sense.

Clearly when I do a lil research it’s obvious that there are stability issues with the servers both EU where I am and NA.

I’m using the Steam launcher but I doubt 17k people would be playing daily (except PvE where it’s ok) if it was in this state everyday.

You asked for help. When you were offered help you immediately dismissed it as " its not me its them" Did you know that people in tech support will actually tell you 9 out of 10 times it is actually you. Because if it was them then their would be hundreds or even thousands of people with issues and you would see evidence of that here on the forums. Most customers assume the business is the problem and it couldnt possibly be them but it almost always is.

Despite your uncooperative response, condescending tone, and lack of information i asked for, i will try to help you.
    Im not going to educate you on the difference between games and how you cant compare this game to random game X and say " i can play that one just fine on super duper ultra divine star trek holodeck settings!" One of the main reasons because that game whatever that game may be doesnt have this game engine. It doesnt have this games assets., etc etc. You are comparing apples and broccoli. So if you want to figure out what your issue is then you need to get it out of your head that you can play games X,Y, and Z just fine, but not E,S, and O.
    I didnt ask you to make sense of it. I asked for information. I dont need you to understand WHY its irrelevant and WHY i need the info i asked for. The same way i dont need to know HOW the mechanic is going to fix my car.
    This sounds like either an addon problem or a possible bottleneck on your pc. Try disabling all addons, exiting the game, and then relaunching it.

When lagging... Does everything on the screen freeze or everything but your character? What happens when you try to use a single skill or LA once? What happens when you try to access you inventory or CP or manipulate things in your inventory( such as add/remove to quickslot). Have you tried to type in chat and see if your conversations are delayed? With input lag you should notice a delay in typing and when you send.
    Are you qualified to make that assumption? I highly doubt it... but i am. Certified and trained computer tech. Moonlighted in PC repair for over a decade.
    NA rarely has stability issues. The fluke with steam today is actually quite rare. I also use steam. If it is a today only it could be related to steam.

The EU server does have regular stability problems and regular performance issues due to high population and ZOS not upgrading the server to handle it. I personally have not had any issues on the EU server( I play mostly on NA) but i also am never on it at peak EU time, so always off peak for me there.

But because the server has some issues does not mean that it is your issues. No doubt many people will have issues there just because of the sheer amount of people on it. It is a lot of rendering, a lot of animations, particle effects, and all that jazz when you have hundreds running around a small area. I remember on the NA server during the dragonguard even like well over a hundred people fighting a single dragon it dying in 10-20 seconds. All of that going on in such a small space was really taxing on my PC which normally does very well with ESO.

You said you had issues in BGs though. Do you have the problem on both NA and EU? If so, my first guess would be an addon.
    Edited by Anotherone773 on January 31, 2020 3:05PM
  • Legate_Lanius
    Legate_Lanius
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks but I’ll figure it out on my own or I’ll just persist with the lag and pray rngesus I get enough kill for the event.

Talking about condescending tone etc meanwhile all you do is dismiss everything I said then end up with « I highly doubt your spec is good enough ».

Okay, I highly doubt you made the purchase and selected the exact components to make sure I’ll be able to play very recent games.

Concerning the comparison between games it does make sense, not even because of the engines but because I’m able to play other ONLINE games with no lag whatsoever. This game is known to have stability issues, what I’m curious about is why it’s only with ESO and why some other players don’t have this problem in battlegrounds (Cyrodiil will always be a mess).

I’m not trying to belittle you or anything but trully if you genuinely want to help and be taken seriously, a bit of humility would go long way.

All I’m reading is a user dismissing every issue and point with basically « no u » with other points I could quote and reply to but to be honest I’m really not motivated to go into a forum war for something like this.

Thank yall for taking the time to reply though.
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are running Addon's try turning them all off. My only issues in Cyrodil arise from using Addon's there.

I turn them all off except MiniMap and everything works well for me.

Good luck.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <snip> Meanwhile the other players don't seem to have this issue. <snip>

That is why you are being asked about things at your end. If it wasn't at your end, the others would have the same issue.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some of these guys work for the government covering up legit UFO sightings.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why do these things always happen to PvP?
    Dozens of players at an Alik'r Dolmen or Elsweyr Dragon, and no issues whatsoever.
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For whatever reason events can make BGs lag with all the people on. I’m pretty sure the increase in zergs doesn’t help either with the performance and stability of the server.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you haven't yet.. try restarting your computer.

Not sure if ESO has a memory leak but last month I was playing PvP ( with extreme lag ) and restarting my computer was a temporary fix. Also make sure all your addon's are updated to the most recent version. Outdated addon's can cause lags/boots.

Edited by vamp_emily on January 31, 2020 6:16PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Legate_Lanius
    Legate_Lanius
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

That is why you are being asked about things at your end. If it wasn't at your end, the others would have the same issue.
    I know but clearly it’s not my computer nor my internet provider otherwise I wouldn’t be able to play other games with higher requirements (especially one that needs precise input to do any good, so lag is a no no there).

It’s also why I can’t find the source of the issue, I even tried to disable my anti virus but didn’t worked either so clearly I have no idea.

Also some posts from 2018 suggest that the lag doesn’t necessarily affects everyone
  • Grega
    Grega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a lot of lag in the game. Everywhere. Including battlegrounds.

Just because forum is not flooded with reports doesn’t mean other people are not experiencing lag. I for one, had a very laggy experience yesterday for several hours. Today it’s fine.

The biggest challenge in Achievements in ESO to get them done while battling the desyncs, lag, players who have mastered AC to the point where the server is astounded and occasional disconnect right before you are done 🙂
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know but clearly it’s not my computer nor my internet provider otherwise I wouldn’t be able to play other games with higher requirements (especially one that needs precise input to do any good, so lag is a no no there).

It’s also why I can’t find the source of the issue, I even tried to disable my anti virus but didn’t worked either so clearly I have no idea.

Also some posts from 2018 suggest that the lag doesn’t necessarily affects everyone

You say you know, and then totally dismiss the point. Which is it?

Other games are irrelevant, not least in respect of your internet provider. Your route to their servers will be totally different to the route to ESO's servers, as may be your internet provider's approach to the priority of the games' data transfer. Also, different games have totally different demands on the CPU versus the GPU, for example. We don't even know at this stage whether you, ESO and these other games are even based on the same continent.

If you are genuine about wanting help with this then you need to provide the information already requested, and you also need to disable all addons and reboot your computer before testing battlegrounds again. Sadly, however, all forums on the internet are full of people asking for help but who think they already know more than the people whose help they are requesting. If you do genuinely want help then my advice is that you don't dismiss so quickly those who are offering it.
  • esotoon
    esotoon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure how many times this needs to be explained to you, but the fact that you can play other online games without lag is irrelevent. Think of it this way, you could be in a Bugatti Veyron, you may be able to travel every autobahn in Europe faster than any other car, yet race it down Lombard Street in San Francisco and you will be beaten by a much smaller, less powerful car. Why? Your car is one of the best in the world, so should be much faster than any car on the road? You can race along other roads faster than anyone else, so why not this road? The reason being, this road is different to other roads and therefore the way your car interacts with that road is different. Comparing them and expecting the same result is, as has been said, like comparing apples and broccoli.

The way your ISP routes to the ESO servers is different to those other games. The way the ESO servers work is different to those other games. The way the game engine handles data is different to those other games. The way your computer interacts with the engine is different to those other games. The list goes on and on. The people above were not trying to be condescending pointing this out. They are being factually accurate and trying to help get to the root of your problem, should you have one.

It may be at the end of the day, you don't and it really is ZOS, but with all these problems it is better to work through the known issues first before speculating about the unknown. Throwing your hands in the air, not providing the information required to rule out potential issues isn’t going to solve your problem.
    Edited by esotoon on January 31, 2020 10:55PM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love the people on these forums who continue to insist the servers for PVP are not the issue and that all lag, crashes, blue screens are caused by the platform the user is running. Who knew that all computers, XBoxes and PS4s are garbage?
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ]I’m not trying to belittle you or anything but trully if you genuinely want to help and be taken seriously, a bit of humility would go long way.
    LOL, wow that was a cheeky thing to say to someone that was trying to help and who you dismissed all of the requested information so you could continue to say " its not me!". You got plenty of help here though, you dont need mine, right? Good luck in your battleground matches, mate!

• TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people just have a knack of sounding condescending and negative when they "try to help".
    OP there is a PvP event going on right now putting extra load on the servers and network infrastructure.
    Edited by TequilaFire on January 31, 2020 9:34PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the people on these forums who continue to insist the servers for PVP are not the issue and that all lag, crashes, blue screens are caused by the platform the user is running. Who knew that all computers, XBoxes and PS4s are garbage?

Do feel free to point out where in this thread anyone has suggested that. We have been responding in the light of the initial point made by the OP, namely that he has specific performance issues where the rest of his group does not. As a starting point, therefore, it makes sense to confirm or eliminate any issues at his end, while recognising as @esotoon has done that the problem may in fact turn out to be with ZOS. I've never come across any players who believe that every performance issue is down to the player, but it does seem that some players do believe that every performance issue is down to ZOS.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes because the forum is flooded with users who are having problems with the game. Do you remember when the PC EU server crashed and was out of service for several hours. These forums exploded with users here to complain/find out what the problem was.

When you consider the amount of users that use any given server and the amount of users that are here on the forums posting about a problem, that is a very small number.
    Some people just have a knack of sounding condescending and negative when they "try to help".
    OP there is a PvP event going on right now putting extra load on the servers and network infrastructure.
    If you are implying me, i have a very logical, reasoned, factual way of speaking. My wife calls me "Mr. Roboto." You could say im similar to Spock( without intending to be)

• TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I have the same issue, my guildies have the same issue in cyro and bgs, all five guilds in fact, and its been pretty well known it is on zos end 100% for a while now. Every test shows that the problem starts at ZoS servers in Frankfurt, before that the connection is pristine, when you can play every other online game issue free, it is clearly on zos end.
  • Paralyse
    Paralyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not just you, OP, I get 5 FPS and 300+ms latency. Outside of Cyrodill, 30+ FPS and 40ms. Since the game runs fine outside of Cyrodiil, I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the way Cyrodiil is designed, the servers which host its instances, or something similar to that. It's been like that for me long before the event, so I don't even try to go to Cyro anymore.
    Paralyse, Sanguine's Tester - Enjoying ESO since beta. Trial clears: vSS HM, Crag HM's, vRG Oax HM, vMoL DD, vKA HM, vCR+1, vAS IR, vDSR, vSE
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Paralyse wrote: »
    Not just you, OP, I get 5 FPS and 300+ms latency. Outside of Cyrodill, 30+ FPS and 40ms. Since the game runs fine outside of Cyrodiil, I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the way Cyrodiil is designed, the servers which host its instances, or something similar to that. It's been like that for me long before the event, so I don't even try to go to Cyro anymore.

It started when zos' decided to make the game calculate server side instead of client side, and ever since then the connection has been awful. Instead of introducing something like punk buster, they took the easy way out.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    probably because the performance update is not due for 3 - 4 more weeks

:#
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »
    probably because the performance update is not due for 3 - 4 more weeks

:#

The ram update has already been released in October, and the memory leak is still there, the game size had nothing to do with the awful server quality
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    your internet connect sucks. no. 1 cause

I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too