The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Do people still use Caltrops now that it's nerfed to the ground?

SydneyGrey
SydneyGrey
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Should I even bother with Caltrops now?
  • Brandathorbel
    Brandathorbel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    only pvp skill now. But i can see some classes that don't have access to major fracture using it
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In pve it’s only used by people who don’t bother to keep up with changes. It’s rarely used in pvp anymore either, though it’s handy for preventing people from repairing a breach without having to keep siege on it.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, they are quite handful for almost any AoE fight without warden or magcro. Major Fracture for 14s and some aoe damage is valuable tool.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's mostly a support skill now used in trash pulls.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    :'(
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do tanks count?
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Support skill in pve to apply major fracture on many enemies as alternative to a dd wearing NMG.

Similar in vma.

PVP support skill, not widely used.

1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to drop caltrops and barrage on ram groups at the doors.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have found only one situation where Caltrops is somewhat useful in PVE. Its the fight in vMHK against Mylenne. You can use them to cc and slow the direwolves.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    Yes, they are quite handful for almost any AoE fight without warden or magcro. Major Fracture for 14s and some aoe damage is valuable tool.

@SodanTok Is the major fracture for 14s or 4 sec? I was under the impression that Razor delivers 10sec AoE with 4sec major fracture.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »

@SodanTok Is the major fracture for 14s or 4 sec? I was under the impression that Razor delivers 10sec AoE with 4sec major fracture.

4s to everyone hit by caltrops so every tick of caltrops all targets get 4s again resulting in 14s if they stood in the 10s caltrops from start to finish ^^
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The damage formula is very low making it feel like a waste to cast in pve unless you really needed the major fracture, but thats pretty rare. I would prefer if they bumped up the damage to the dot standard of 1.5x damage while following the 1.3x cost rule too.

Right now, the cost is a little more than a spammable. The damage does about 100% of a spammable over 10s.

If you think, well I don't need major fracture, Anti-Calvary Caltrops are nice for an Endless Hail rotation of 14s. The total damage for 15s (16 ticks) is about 1.45x the damage of a spammable.

All dots hit the 1.5x damage standard at 10s, not 15s, so abilities like Blockade and Endless hail are actually like 2x damage at 14s.

The damage is undervalued because it's apparently a "utility" skill. The problem I have with that statement is they break their own standardization rules for a stupid reason. They also made an even better abilitiy for Necros that does practically the same thing, but follows the standardization. Boneyard, applies major fracture AND breach, synergy, extra damage on corpse.

So caltrops is just a poor mans Boneyard with 0 passives and 1 of the weakest damage types in the game, physical.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on January 30, 2020 12:33AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SodanTok thanks for the explanation! That is very good news indeed and will have to take another look at using Razor again.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you bother to switch between single target vs AoE, then yes. Otherwise i would go full single target DoTs + single target spamable. Except mag Unstable Wall.
  • And0ssus
    And0ssus
    ✭✭✭
    I still use them for some aoe loadouts in raids.
    But only for trashgroups. You can cast them together with endless hail before mobs are stacked.
    On PC U can easily switch loadouts with Addons ... for console Players it isn't really an option i would say.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Works great in breaches and irritates players on siege in PvP as intended.
    Added advantage is it tags all the players in it so you share in their ap when they die.
    Edited by TequilaFire on January 30, 2020 10:20PM
  • Hexvaldr
    Hexvaldr
    ✭✭✭
    It is a useful tool for tanks to grab aggro from a lot of mobs in pve while slowing them and applying debuffs. There are other similar tools for this purpose, but some are class specific, and having options is part of what makes building your characters interesting.

I think part of the change to it is to help compensate for the changes to immobilization which rendered tank roots and cc in general as less effective, which is a pain in lower damage groups in dungeons.
    Edited by Hexvaldr on February 2, 2020 7:19PM
  • SimonBelmont
    SimonBelmont
    ✭✭✭
    When you initially choose a morph for Caltrops, the tool-tip for the non-Cavalry version states that it applies Major Fracture for 1 second... Seriously!? ONE second? Does this duration increase by 1, per skill level? I ask because I see people stating 4 seconds here. The tool-tip does not indicate that the duration will increase as it's level does...
  • MiguZ
    MiguZ
    ✭✭✭
    What some people don't seem to understand is that every tick of the caltrops refresh the duration of the fracture. At level 4 razor caltrops the fracture duration is 4 seconds and the skill itself lasts for 10. That means you get 14 seconds of AoE major fracture which is a must have for any solo stam player and for stam heavy groups. It doesn't matter who casts it though as you need only one player using it.
    Edited by MiguZ on September 16, 2020 7:34PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has its uses in trash pulls and solo play. Pretty useful in VMA if you dont have class access to major fracture. For pure ST DPS, not worth the slot.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Works great in breaches and irritates players on siege in PvP as intended.
    Added advantage is it tags all the players in it so you share in their ap when they die.

And you also are then stuck in combat whenever they are until one of you dies.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Caltrops is better than NMG at least :)
  • SimonBelmont
    SimonBelmont
    ✭✭✭
    MiguZ wrote: »
    - "every tick of the caltrops refresh the duration of the fracture" -

Wow... It sure would have been nice if the tool-tip mentioned the refresh. Thank you for the clarification MiguZ!
  • MiguZ
    MiguZ
    ✭✭✭
    MiguZ wrote: »
    - "every tick of the caltrops refresh the duration of the fracture" -

Wow... It sure would have been nice if the tool-tip mentioned the refresh. Thank you for the clarification MiguZ!

My pleasure :)
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Offtanks may choose to use it to proc Powerful Assault