The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

noxious breath vs jabs (pve)

Joxer61
Joxer61
✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, may seem like a weird question but meh, worth a shot.
In regards to both Noxious and Jabs, which is the "better" aoe?, if that can even be a thing? I know each skill is different in its own...one is also a dot and such but just in terms of standard trash mob killing aoes, which hits harder? I ask because that is strongly a playstyle I like...I like having the ability to hit several mobs at once, much like having cleave. Wish other skills did it more. I get that you can have aoe with the bow and on mag toons, but I am talking from a melee pov.
to me, it "feels" as though jabs actually hits more targets, but is that really the case? If anyone has a clue on this kind of stuff please share. ;)
Cheers.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »
    Ok, may seem like a weird question but meh, worth a shot.
    In regards to both Noxious and Jabs, which is the "better" aoe?, if that can even be a thing? I know each skill is different in its own...one is also a dot and such but just in terms of standard trash mob killing aoes, which hits harder? I ask because that is strongly a playstyle I like...I like having the ability to hit several mobs at once, much like having cleave. Wish other skills did it more. I get that you can have aoe with the bow and on mag toons, but I am talking from a melee pov.
    to me, it "feels" as though jabs actually hits more targets, but is that really the case? If anyone has a clue on this kind of stuff please share. ;)
    Cheers.

For trash, I guess you can call jabs AOE as it will work but it really is not in that only the closest target takes decent damage. Noxious breath is a DOT and I think mine hits harder overall than my jabs outside of that single target, but its not really a spammable IMO like jabs. Again. Trash mobs really you could do whatever you want.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea, thanks for putting it into words....a spammable aoe, that's what I am looking for. Although I know Noxious isn't really one but something just for trash pulls and adds sort of thing.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say DK overall is better than stamplar at shredding trash packs, but you don't really want to spam noxious. What you want to do is to apply noxious and then use brawler or whirling blades.

A direct comparission between nox and jabs do not make much sense however if we completely ignore everything else and just assume you're only going to use one ability, then jabs wins. Much higher damage overall.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A direct comparission between nox and jabs do not make much sense however if we completely ignore everything else and just assume you're only going to use one ability, then jabs wins. Much higher damage overall.

Perfect...that's sort of what I was wondering. true, you don't use just one skill, that would be lame....but "if" you did was what I was kinda after so cheers!! ;)
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Perfect...that's sort of what I was wondering. true, you don't use just one skill, that would be lame....but "if" you did was what I was kinda after so cheers!! ;)

Just take note that I ignored the range difference between these abilities. And if you're planning to kill really large trash packs then noxious may be a much better choice because it has a much larger range than jabs do.
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just take note that I ignored the range difference between these abilities. And if you're planning to kill really large trash packs then noxious may be a much better choice because it has a much larger range than jabs do.

wasn't aware of that...thanks!!
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jabs are better as aoe spammable. Tooltip is tooltip, on practice when you stack mobs and jabs them they all die pretty fast, maybe noxious into whirling blades will kill them faster, but whirling blades are much more expensive then jabs.

I can judge it from solo resource capture speed on stamDK vs stamplar. On stamDK I always need to do some juggling/jumping with all the cc thrown at you by guards, on stamplar I just drop fear rune and jab. After few seconds they are melted away. Absolutely no way to do the same with noxious spam, even in previous patch where noxious was cheaper and had higher damage.
  • Brandathorbel
    Brandathorbel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say DK overall is better than stamplar at shredding trash packs, but you don't really want to spam noxious. What you want to do is to apply noxious and then use brawler or whirling blades.

why brawler over carve? Isn't brawler more defensive?