The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is there any disadvantages for using heavy armour in PvP?

Saltisol
Saltisol
✭✭✭✭
As the title says.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, there aren't any great disadvantages for using heavy armor. You trade off a little DPS, stamina or magic for more survivability. A lot of players in Cyrodiil use heavy armor.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends on gameplay style. heavy armor makes no sense with an open field bow build.
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you're a DD, you'll lose out on the passives provided by light or medium armor, depending on whether you're mag or stam. And depending on your build, that can really hurt your sustain. I run heavy on my magden and sometimes on my stamplar and they both do OK (sustain is a little rough, but doable), but I'd never, ever be able to run it on my magplar because her sustain is already crap even with light armor.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally prefer heavy armor; both of my mains (NA and EU) wear 7-piece heavy armor.

But I have a stamblade character on NA who wears 7-piece medium armor, and I must say, the speed bonus is wonderful. :)

So I'd recommend going with medium armor if you feel you need to be as speedy as possible to run away. :D
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course there are, but are there enough to stop a majority of people from wearing it in PvP? Nope. You can gain your weapon damage through other means.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s where the creativity comes in.

Craft a weapon damage set in heavy armor and wear only the jewels and weapons of a medium armor set.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only if mag :D
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There’s some yea.

Mag:
    - less pen, less crit, less sustain

Stam:
    - less weapon damage. More expensive dodge rolls, less sustain

All things that don’t matter if you’re dead.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really, heavy armor is like training wheels, and If u are a warden or necro on top of that its just pure carry, dont embarass yourself by t-bagging anyone If thats what u run 😅
    Edited by Karmanorway on January 24, 2020 7:52PM
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to actually kill anything by yourself it's the worst armor choice in the current meta.
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the theory crafting potential and means to get defensive stats elsewhere, there’s really no advantage to wearing heavy. At least in pvp, I’d assume tanks use heavy armor in pve.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Na0cho
    Na0cho
    ✭✭✭
    It kinda makes your butt look fat.
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    heavy armor might add at most around 5% more mitigation compared to light and medium.

the trade off in damage that is much harder to add in stat wise compared to mitigation is just not worth it.

especially because you also lose out on healing stats that would narrow the gap in the mitigation loss anyways (the more damage you do, the more healing you do aside from pen)

sources of various protection or other % damage mitigation that is not armor and usually comes from set bonuses or skill far and away are better then wearing heavy armor (that can be subject to pen)

for instances, necro spirit has a morph that provides a flat un named bonus of 10% damage reduction, that is far and away superior to wearing at least 5 heavy. impen as well provides a damage reduction on crits that's better then wearing heavy, major and minor protection, even move speed.

heavy armor was about tied with the amount of light and medium armor worn by players (medium was just ahead, light was in the lead, heavy was in last but not by too much) and this was BEFORE its last set of nerfs.

if your new to pvp and cannot really kill people anyway and just want to live long enough to figure out whats going on so you can get better, yeah full impen heavy or even impreg on top of that with lots of sustain. but you need to ween yourself off of that as you get better so you can actually contribute and possibly kill someone.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know many good players that still use heavy armor. It's easier to make yourself tanky in medium or light and keep their better passives.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooogaaa boooogaaa hAvEy ArMoR OP
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy Armour makes your mount slower

No really it does! I heard it from a friend of a friends sister that heard it from a showdowy figure in a back alley behind a khajiit skooma house...so I believe them...
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy armor
    Better healing
    More HP
    More resistance
    Infinite sustain through heavy atk weaving

U can easily use 2 dmg sets with heavy, why ppl say its so bad i will never understand.

Personally i use medium, and Blackrose dw backbar for tankiness which works well too, until i run into a stamcro or stamden, who dont take a dent (with my 6k wep dmg) who just pops an onslaught then its goodnight for me ☺️

In PvP the tankiest dude usually wins unless he is pure tank ofc, whoever denies that probably play heavy dps themselves

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wear Heavy Armor, damage weapon front bar, 1H&S back bar. There. You have a "I can hurt everything" bar and a "Nothing can hurt me" bar. That's basically what PvP is.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With sets like new moons, ancient dragon guard, clever alchemist, fury, etc, the loss is absolutely negligible. I have 35 % crit in no cp in heavy, 5 k spell damage and 1,8 mag regen.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The recovery from light armour is eh so I don't get upset to lose it
    Spell penetration can be solved by adding another set to your liking
    So not really, I didn't see much difference...
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Biggest difference no one’s talked about is the health difference. You get a lot higher health pool with heavy which is the main advantage.

For stam med vs heavy I think medium is outright better in almost all settings because of higher weapon damage, better sustain and cheaper dodge rolls.

For mag it’s more complicated. The base resists on light armour is so low you might as well say you have no resistances. Wearing light helps damage but you need to up your resistances somehow to be effective. Higher healing doesn’t help because one stun and you’re dead. Especially with a low health pool.

Shields help light armour builds because they’re like temporary hps, but I still find light armour too hard to run in most situations. Light boosting your resists works in BGs, if you’re fighting against larger groups heavy is just better.

For mag it’s 1v1 - light all the way. Going against 2? Light with extra resistances. Fighting a group? Heavy all the way. Resistances become better than healing the more damage you take. Sorcs are a little different because they can kite and stay range, with shields stopping one attack per shield. I’m more meaning all the other mag classes.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 25, 2020 3:57AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fyi the heavy armor advocates are probably the 35k hp players stacked in ball groups holding block that cannot kill anyone by themself

im sure they think its great.

im sure they prolly come to the forums to complain about the "tank meta" too. smh
    Edited by Wing on January 25, 2020 3:56AM
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wing wrote: »
    fyi the heavy armor advocates are probably the 35k hp players stacked in ball groups holding block that cannot kill anyone by themself

im sure they think its great.

im sure they prolly come to the forums to complain about the "tank meta" too. smh

Of course. People need to spec for the setting, just like how people run different solo, dungeon and trial specs in pve. Using the same spec in pvp when you’re solo vs being in a group would be dumb.

I don’t think the solo/small scale players will ever be competitive against ball groups at this point. If you think ball groups hold block... jeez... most solo/small scale are so behind the meta and unknowedgible about game mechanics I don’t think they’ll ever catch up. Hence asking for the game to change.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 25, 2020 4:08AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think each armor type serves up different play styles. Whether those play styles add up to a disadvantage over another is a personal preference. I personally tend to favor medium builds. As a previous poster mentioned, you get a bit of a speed bump and possibilities for offensive stats are suitable to my style of play. Get enough crit resistance and effective healing sources, and you don't feel you're missing much by not running heavy.

In the end, what works for you is what works.
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO these are the basic "rules":

Any character should run heavy armor on the chest piece and one more. The chest piece gives the most armour out of all pieces and there is no drawback to using 2 heavy pieces with relevant passives. Even if the rest of your armour is made out of a single sheet of paper. It´s 2 pieces so you don´t lose out on 5p passives anyway.

The rest I usually have as medium or light, but I might have all heavy if it tickles my fancy on a tanky character.

The disadvantage to using all heavy armour is that you are not using light or medium. So no damage increase, no penetration... you can hit the armour cap in 5p medium anyway. There might be a point to going over it in PvP though.

Personally my favourite has always been 2 heavy 5 medium, but I am very partial to medium armour.

Oh and you need to go to an outfit station and make it look not hideous. I don´t think my heavy armour party dress fools anyone in pvp, but the point is I don´t look like a deformed tin can when running around.