The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Question about the Rilis' of Firsthold

Anumaril
Anumaril
✭✭✭✭✭
I notice that UESP refers to a 'House Rilis' in their Firsthold article (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Firsthold), which baffles me because we know of a "High Kinlord Rilis XIII" from Auridon's storyline. The name of this NPC would tell me that 'Rilis' is in fact a first name, not a surname. If it was indeed a surname then this High Kinlord's name would be 'Rilis XIII Rilis', or 'Rilis the thirteenth of his name of House Rilis'. So is this just a quirk of Altmeri naming? Did ZOS screw something up? Or is UESP inaccurate in claiming that the noble House's name is 'Rilis'?
(for the sake of this question of mine lets also ignore the fact that the NPC should NOT even have 'XIII' or any other numerals attached to his name because he is not a king. We don't see High Kinlady Estre going around labelling herself Estre II or VI. Yes, yes, I know that Firsthold and the other High Kinlordships used to be Kingdoms in their own right, but they aren't anymore, not in the time of ESO at least.)

Best Answers

• TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like a mistake on ZoS part. Imo it should have been High Kinlord "whatever´s his first name" Rilis.
    Answer ✓
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently this odd naming by ZOS is nothing new. I just noticed that the King of Valenwood is called "King Camoran Aeradan" in-game, suggesting that he is named Camoran of House Aeradan, when in fact we know from lore that Camoran is the House name, not Aeradan, so the proper naming for the NPC should have been "King Aeradan Camoran", or simply "King Aeradan".

This business with the Bosmer King would seem to imply that ZOS just doesn't know how names work. Connecting back to the Rilis': if we follow ZOS' naming mistakes, it stands to reason that Rilis is in fact the surname, while the first name remains unknown. As things stand right now the current High Kinlord of Firsthold would be "High Kinlord <unknown> of House Rilis".
    Answer ✓
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anumaril wrote: »
    Apparently this odd naming by ZOS is nothing new. I just noticed that the King of Valenwood is called "King Camoran Aeradan" in-game, suggesting that he is named Camoran of House Aeradan, when in fact we know from lore that Camoran is the House name, not Aeradan, so the proper naming for the NPC should have been "King Aeradan Camoran", or simply "King Aeradan".

EDIT:
    Even UESP recognises that ZOS doesn't understand how names work and uses "Aeradan Camoran" rather than "Camoran Aeradan" (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Aeradan_Camoran).
    Edited by Anumaril on January 23, 2020 11:52AM
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This business with the Bosmer King would seem to imply that ZOS just doesn't know how names work. Connecting back to the Rilis': if we follow ZOS' naming mistakes, it stands to reason that Rilis is in fact the surname, while the first name remains unknown. As things stand right now the current High Kinlord of Firsthold would be "High Kinlord <unknown> of House Rilis".

Funny on that I just assumed it is a wood elf custom to place the Royal name first then personal name. I have a bosmer girl I headcanon as aeradans daughter and her name is Camoran Ciinderel. I kept the custom.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny on that I just assumed it is a wood elf custom to place the Royal name first then personal name. I have a bosmer girl I headcanon as aeradans daughter and her name is Camoran Ciinderel. I kept the custom.
    That is a logical assumption, because the Dunmer do the same. King Helseth from TES3 is usually called "Hlaalu Helseth" with the House name first.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see the problem since the Altmer haven't a surname, unlike dark elves, so what we use as "first name" and "surname" IRL are just one simple name. This explains the house of Rilis just being named as House Rilis...

(We can still speculate around the obscure complete names of the altmer, as we learn with Lirendel in Summerset, but that'd go too far x) )
    Yes, yes, I know that Firsthold and the other High Kinlordships used to be Kingdoms in their own right, but they aren't anymore, not in the time of ESO at least.
    -aren't anymore? This is unsourced fanon, right? :p

TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;