The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

When i press play on a new install of eso, the game doesnt run

AlvinAwesome212
As stated. When i press play on the launcher, it doesnt run the game. It does not go grey too, it just doesnt run. I have it at run as admin, did a repair. Still doesnt run. Also the live folder in My Documents doesnt exist. Help!
Name: AlvinAwesome
Guild: The Lunar Collective
Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    re-install
  • AlvinAwesome212
    @Alienoutlaw already tried that. Still the same issue.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    you have another games folder? it may be in there
  • AlvinAwesome212
    Nope. No other games folder.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    try doing a file search see if it pops up
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Going to need a lot more info to be any help.

1) Is this your first time installing ESO?
    2) Are you installing through Steam or from the ESO website?
    3) What are your system specifications?
    -Operating System
    - CPU
    - RAM
    - Graphics card
    - Free HDD space( and if that is before download/ after install)
    - Direct X version

4) Have you made sure that you are not being blocked by antivirus and firewalls?
  • AlvinAwesome212
    @Anotherone773 this is the first time installing eso on this pc.

Running through website. Not steam.

CPU: amd phenom ii x4 955
    RaM: 4GB
    GPU: amd sapphire 6950 2gb
    Free HDD: 250gb
    DIRECTX: 11

No antivirus running or blocking eso
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You are barely squeezing in the minimum requirements and they are being optimistic with those. I have ESO running right now and its using 2.8 GB of RAM and i havent moved since i logged in. So you are going to struggle with memory.

Make sure you are letting windows manage your pagefile system( it does by default so if you havent touched it then you should be fine).

Dont run any other programs except windows when running ESO. Antivirus and firewalls are fine as well.

Make sure video drivers are up to date.

Finally, launch the game and be patient. Dont do anything else on your PC while waiting for it to load. This is very resource heavy game. It will take it a bit for you to load it on your PC. So its going to have to load the startup sequence/movie. And then go from there. So just give it time. Like at least 5 minutes on the black/grey screen. While its on the screen check to see if your HDD light is running. If its running then its just trying to load resources from disc and its taking it a bit.

Let me know if you get it to load or not (Tag me again)
    Edited by Anotherone773 on January 20, 2020 7:10PM
  • AlvinAwesome212
    Hello @Anotherone773 thank you for this! Ill try some of these things. But the problem is the game doesnt even start. When i press play on the Launcher, thats it. Doesnt do anything else.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah you have to give it some time. It takes 6 seconds from the time i push launch until the first icon appears and that is on a pretty high end PC that is at least 20 times faster than yours.

The launcher loads completely right? News and the slide show on the right? I just tested it on an older PC with the following stats:

7th gen i7-870
    8gb ram
    GTX 650 1GB
    1TB raid 0 7200rpm

This configuration will be about 5 times faster than yours at loading the game assets. I timed from the time i pressed play until the first icon appeared on the screen at 18.67 seconds.

Just give it that 5 minutes and watch your HDD light to make sure its loading assets and just didnt freeze. It should stay mostly on but have a bit of a flicker to it depending on your PC. But they roughly display "working" all the same way.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what the issue is but I would try clicking on the .exe file ( if it is there ) instead of using the launcher.

I'm not sure the exact path but something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Elder Scrolls Online\ESO64.exe"

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• emeraldshado
    emeraldshado
    ✭✭✭
    [Ctrl] + [shift] + [esc]

where + is just holding the buttons at the same time, or hold each down sequentially.

(usually thumb on control key, index on shift, and middle on sec works for me.)

This will open up task manager.

open the launcher, will be listed around the bottom if you sort by name.

should see zenimax something.

look at all the processes that are running.

then press play.

now look to see if a new one has started under elder scrolls or zenimax.

Now you can see if the process gets launched and if the game is running in the background, but isn't displaying to your desktop for you to see.

I would try closing down all programs and applications aside from system ones and try launching.

optional: Increase page file size.

[windows key] + [Pause Break] ( might be abbreviated depending on your keyboard)

advanced system settings.

Performance Options

Advanced

Virtual memory.

You said that you have Free HDD: 250gb. You can take a part of the hard drive and reserve it for RAM for when your system tops out on its memory.

one thing you can do, totally up to you, is to increase your page file size. not a great idea, but one that could check to see if its a memory issue preventing the game from being displayed.

Virtual memory

"A paging file is an area on the hard disk that Windows uses as if it were RAM"

my work laptop is set to 10240 MB which is 10G.

I don't recall if you could see a performance improvement by having the page file on a different S-ATA channel / hard drive than that of the C:\

*********** In the long run, this can damage the section of the hard drive that is being used for the "swapping space" as it is constantly being written to. which is why this isn't a great idea.

But if the process isn't being spawned when you hit play / start, then it would not appear to be a RAM issue.

check logs.

Programs, windows administrative tools, event viewer. or check logs in the install location of the game.

I would expect it to be in C:\Program Files\ (presuming it installs into the 64 bit folder, and not the C:\Program Files (x86) (32 bit folder)

PC Minimum System Requirements: (Updated 05/22/2019 09:03 AM)
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3313/~/what-are-the-system-requirements-for-the-elder-scrolls-online-on-pc-/-mac?

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
    Processor: Intel® Core i3 540 or AMD A6-3620 or higher
    System RAM: 3GB
    Hard Disk Space: 85GB free HDD space
    GPU: Direct X 11.0 compliant video card with 1GB RAM (NVIDIA® GeForce® 460 / AMD Radeon™ 6850) or higher
    Sound: DirectX compatible sound card
    Internet: Internet Broadband Connection