The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Charged & Magicka Dragonknight

Somewhere
Somewhere
✭✭✭✭
DK have a passive called Combusion, and it restores 500 magicka or stamina when you apply burning or poisoned respectively. Generally people argue that this is the worst or one of the worst sustain tools in the game. At some point it was, and eventually we got to the state we are currently in, the ability has no cooldown, so whenever you apply either of those status conditions you will regain resources.

The chance to apply any status effect is as follows:
20% on enchantments
10% on abilities
5% on area abilities (first hit)
3% on single target dot ticks
1% on area dot ticks

The passive Elemental Force from the destruction staff tree will double all of these for burning, chilled, and concussion. With the a gold charged trait on our weapon, this increases further by 220%. After everything is considered our chances become:

Edit: math
100% 84% on enchantments
64% 42% on abilities
32% 21% on area abilities (first hit)
19.2% 12.6% on single target dot ticks
6.4% 4.2% on area dot ticks

This increase is quite substantial, even in a single target scenario as seen below. Combustion accounts for a whopping 463 Magicka per second in terms of recovery. I had 99% uptime on the Burning status, and it ticked 255 times. I was only in combat for 237 seconds and so I have to assume Burning was ticking basically every single second. This actually drives our DPS up quite a bit as Burning accounted for 6.3k of my total DPS. I was bash weaving with Crown poisons, so a good comparison would be to liko's MagDK parse here.

Charged also increases the chances of applying the Poisoned condition, driving up the DPS gained from poison up to 2.8k and the stamina regeneration allows for more bashing. Since the magicka return from this passive was more than substantial I dropped absorb magicka enchantment on backbar and used a Flame enchantment.

J8Jmrbx.png

My point is basically, consider a Charged trait. With a few changes to your build it should result in greater sustain with little to no DPS loss. Any adds that happen to wander into your area dots will have a substantial chance of getting burned by both Eruption and/or Wall of Fire which only further drives up the returns from Combustion since it procs without a cooldown. I have little doubts that this extends to pvp scenarios as well, although to a lesser degree, so it may not be worth the damage loss.
Edited by Somewhere on January 19, 2020 7:39PM
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Doesn’t embers apply burning status every time you use it?
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭

It does, but you apply that only once every 14 seconds and burning only lasts 4 seconds. Thing is, we dont care about the uptime on burning really, we only care about the number of times it gets applied. You only get the magicka return when its applied, not when it deals damage.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Somewhere wrote: »

It does, but you apply that only once every 14 seconds and burning only lasts 4 seconds. Thing is, we dont care about the uptime on burning really, we only care about the number of times it gets applied. You only get the magicka return when its applied, not when it deals damage.

Oh so PvE. That’s good to know tho.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This passive is why many Magicka DK’s have started using the Asylum Staff and Force Pulse. Every other cast guarantees a Burning proc, so returns 500 Magicka every 2s.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on January 18, 2020 9:27AM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This passive is why many Magicka DK’s have started using the Asylum Staff and Force Pulse. Every other cast guarantees a Burning proc, so returns 500 Magicka every 2s.

Ye but vAS staff is dps loss as well, charged weapon lets you whip, with probably less loss of dps.
  • md3788
    md3788
    ✭✭✭
    Charged front bar? Or back?
    vFG1 HM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    md3788 wrote: »

Front, trading 7% crit for more burn ticks and 250~ mag/second
    Edited by zvavi on January 18, 2020 3:20PM
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    md3788 wrote: »

Just on frontbar. On backbar I ran an Infused Flame Glyph here since technically each time it procs the Flame enchantment there is also a chance to proc burning which results in more magicka return, plus it deals more damage. I would imagine you could probably run Berserker effectively as well.
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVE not bad passive pvp is where it doesn’t do as much
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

Ye but vAS staff is dps loss as well, charged weapon lets you whip, with probably less loss of dps.

I think it just depends on the fight. Like for Yolnahkriin or any melee parse boss whip will be best, but in Cloudrest the Asylum Force Pulse build is beating any other setup on magDK. https://www.esologs.com/zone/rankings/8#boss=27&class=DragonKnight&spec=MagickaDPS
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on January 18, 2020 7:55PM
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lucky_Sage wrote: »
    PVE not bad passive pvp is where it doesn’t do as much

Yeah, not like somebody is gonna stand around and let you put a pve rotation on them lol. Good to know for PvE I guess...
    Edited by JumpmanLane on January 18, 2020 10:28PM
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think your math is wrong here. Destro staff doesn't double effect chance, it increases it by 100%, charged is 220%, base is 100%, total is 420% or 4.2 *.

20% on enchantments
    10% on single target direct damage
    5% on aoe direct damge
    1% on aoe dot ticks

Charged Destro staff

84% on enchantments
    42% on single target direct damage
    21% on aoe direct damge
    12.6% on single target dot ticks
    4.2% on aoe dot ticks
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think your math is wrong here. Destro staff doesn't double effect chance, it increases it by 100%, charged is 220%, base is 100%, total is 420% or 4.2 *.

20% on enchantments
    10% on single target direct damage
    5% on aoe direct damge
    1% on aoe dot ticks

Charged Destro staff

84% on enchantments
    42% on single target direct damage
    21% on aoe direct damge
    12.6% on single target dot ticks
    4.2% on aoe dot ticks

Probably, I wasnt sure if the bonuses were additive or multiplicative. I couldn't find anywhere stating it one way or the other, but it does make more sense for it to be lower.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any idea how the passive could be best maximized for stam DK?
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    Any idea how the passive could be best maximized for stam DK?

Unfortunately I think it is significantly more difficult to see the same return on a stamDK compared to a magDK. First, stamina doesn't get access to the additional 100% bonus to apply status because of the destruction staff passive, and it's limited to elemental status anyway. At most I imagine a stamDK would have 3 poison DOTs, maybe a poison enchantment, and poisons on front bar. No poison spammable, no poison aoe dot, and no strong poison ultimate make it a bit harder to see returns on this. Finally, charged isn't as strong on a single weapon so the bonus is even smaller there. I would be interested to see the results if anyone tries it, but I imagine the sustain gained will not be worth the damage you lose.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Been using it since the new change to the passive.

Far better than infused fire enchant but Nirnhoned is more damage. So if you have mag steal or other forms of good recovery there's Nirnhoned as well. This is from a PvP perspective.
    PC EU
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been using it since the new change to the passive.

Far better than infused fire enchant but Nirnhoned is more damage. So if you have mag steal or other forms of good recovery there's Nirnhoned as well. This is from a PvP perspective.

You know I have always been partial to infused weapon damage myself. I will have to try it as soon as I have more transmute stones. I am constantly using them as soon as I get them.