The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO on PS4 Pro in 4K/HDR

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You’re probably right in that I should just give up. I just don’t know why this cannot be implemented properly here.

Having four times the amount of pixels is not the greatest thing about this new technology, it’s the HDR that is really supposed to make it special. It’s a shame the textures look so good but they can’t improve shadows without making the game look like a Saturday morning cartoon.

I had hoped putting some images and video up here might get a response. I guess it looks fine on PC like everything else so no one cares. I just get tired of so many things on console being messed up and nothing getting done about them.

I wish I didn’t enjoy this game as much as I do and could just walk away from it like the two other games before this one. I’m not there now but time may tell.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're bored sometime and want to read the official statement on the game's HDR after they pushed a "fix" and before they rolled it back to where we are today, here's the link:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5430473/#Comment_5430473

It would be nice for ZOS to offer us a saturation "slider" as part of the HDR video settings in-game, but I don't know if that's even possible from a technical standpoint.
    PS4NA
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is an HDR brightness slider, it it does nothing discernible when you move it all the way from one end to the other.

I don’t get what they are saying about using HDR for colors. I didn’t read all of the pages of that post, but just the official comment. The colormap for assets in game should not change from regular HD to 4K/HDR. Things should just be sharper and more detailed, and shadows can now be darker than before. It sounds like they are blaming the different TVs, but I think it’s safe to say we don’t all have the same brand and yet a lot of people are unhappy.

PC players have even said how bad it looks for us on console. If it was a problem with TVs wouldn’t HDR look bad for them too? I understand that we will never have the high frame rates or high resolution that PCs have, and I’m okay with that, but we deserve to have the game look as good for us as it does for them in all other regards.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Elrinthil
    Elrinthil
    ✭✭✭
    I know this thread is a couple of months old, but I just reinstalled the game on my One X after being away for several months. During that time I upgraded my TV to a Samsung QLED. I thought it would make this game look great, but I was shocked at how oversaturated it is in HDR. It's actually hard to look at. I spent a lot of time fiddling with all the settings, and got it looking passably well, but it's still weird. I'm having a hard time finding a happy medium between cartoonishly bright and lifelessly dull. So, when I play tonight, I'm just going to try turning off HDR entirely and see how that goes.

I used to enjoy taking a lot of screenshots of Tamriel, and it's weird how much better this game looked on my old HD TV. I know this game is a few years old now, but jeez...

I'd love to see ZOS address this in the future, although from what I'm reading in the forums, there are a few more pressing issues that need to be dealt with at the moment.
  • Elrinthil
    Elrinthil
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, I just did some experimenting on my Samsung. I turned off HDR in the Xbox settings and turned game mode back on. After fiddling with TV settings for a few minutes, it looks SO much better. I know several people are having this issue. If so, take my advice. Turn off HDR. You won't regret it.