The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Overland crafting locations - still a thing?

Buddy_Bradley
Buddy_Bradley
✭✭
I remember when I first started playing at launch, one of the features I thought was really cool were the crafting locations you could discover out in the open world, where you could craft special sets that weren't available anywhere else.

But since returning this month, I haven't found any when exploring, and never see anyone mention them on the forums/Reddit/etc. Are they still a thing? Or are they so useless that nobody cares about them any more?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are still there and content releases typically have 3 new sets for each release.

Now, with Attunable stations, anyone who has found the set station can place a copy on their home or "guild hall". So, most people don't bother to go find them. They just visit a friend or their guilds home and use that station.

I personally think that people should have to go find the station in the world before they can use the Attunable. But. Now everyone is going to jump all over me for saying that....lol
    Edited by Nestor on January 17, 2020 1:57PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are three in every zone. Most sets from them are meh. A couple are pretty good though. But people barely bother to go there anymore since it's so much easier to go to someones house which has all of those attunable stations conveniently in one place.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    They are still there and content releases typically have 3 new sets for each release.

Now, with Attunable stations, anyone who has found the set station can place a copy on their home or "guild hall". So, most people don't bother to go find them. They just visit a friend or their guilds home and use that station.

I personally think that people should have to go find the station in the world before they can use the Attunable. But. Now everyone is going to jump all over me for saying that....lol

Why would I jump all over you? I agree.

To me it fits in well with another conversation on how to reduce the number of housing item slots attuned crafting stations take up. I think having to find the places would fit well with acquiring tomes you could use to attune yourself to master crafting stations for each craft before you can use them.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the person who attunes all the stations does have to go to each location in the overland to attune them so that they can be used... so at least somebody had been to all of them

I can personally say I have visited each and every crafting station in the overland :smile:
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Well, the person who attunes all the stations does have to go to each location in the overland to attune them so that they can be used... so at least somebody had been to all of them

I can personally say I have visited each and every crafting station in the overland :smile:

Only for the newer sets that get released, now people just visit guild halls and attune their stations there.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Only for the newer sets that get released, now people just visit guild halls and attune their stations there.

I didn't think you could attune stations at an already attuned station... did they change that last patch? Because I had tried before and it never worked
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    I recently completed my set of Imperial City Crafting Stations as I am not really a PVP player...
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most people who post here are probably in guilds that have a full set of stations.

Also, it's hard to think of a craftable set that's regarded as BiS. There are crafted sets that are good-enough alternatives to BiS for a large fraction of situations, such as Julianos/Hunding's Rage, but where's the fun in talking about those? A crafted set that's truly powerful in PvP will usually be whined about and nerfed, and for PvE there's usually a trial set that's clearly better.
  • CoraCuzabich
    CoraCuzabich
    Soul Shriven
    Night's Silence is good for heists and brotherhood contracts. Crafted sets are great for players (like me) who are mostly interested in casual play and story content, and only get in game one or twice a week. I am unlikely to ever participate in trials or PvP. But if you wanna be competitive in end-game, they're probably not that useful.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When game first came out, crafted sets were more powerful than dropped sets. They literally had higher stats than dropped gear of the same level. Also, dropped gear was really rare. You could run a dungeon 10 times and kill 50 total bosses and come away with 3 pieces of gear. And then lots of gear only dropped at weird levels. Like, here is cool set but it only drops at VR7 and I am VR14 so who cares about this VR7 set. Or if it did drop at max level, you would get a it with the Exploration trait and have no way to change that. Crafted was often best way to get a complete set of gear at your level in the right weight and traits.

But now crafted gear and dropped gear have same basic stats. All gear drops at CP160. Every boss drops a piece of gear and you can trade with group mates. You can transmute garbage traits to good ones.

ZOS have switched from crafted gear being BiS or very competitive, to being placeholder gear for beginners.

This mostly goes back to dropping the required sub. Crafted gear, dungeon gear, Trials gear, PvP gear. It was all equivalent from a business point of view because it was all equally locked behind the subscription. But with going from subscription required to subscription optional, they shifted focus to bound gear in DLC content being the most desirable. They have not done too bad of a job with that. It is not like every DLC comes with a super-overpowered gear set that is a necessity. But it is the case that bound gear in DLC dungeons/Trials are almost universally the meta sets.
  • The702Guy
    The702Guy
    ✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »

That is not a real thing. If you want yo attune a station you have to go to that crafting area to do it.
    Edited by The702Guy on January 20, 2020 4:15PM
  • The702Guy
    The702Guy
    ✭✭✭

I disagree and here is why. Stations at a home provide extreme time saving convience when doing master writs. I used to do 100-200 master writs weekly. Could you imagine having to go to each set around the world to get these done? It would add at minimum one hour just in traveling time if not more. Not everything has to be a crazy grind you know, there can be things that are convienent once in a while in a game that is mostly grinding ;)
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i still use them.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mague wrote: »
    i still use them.

I do too, unless it’s an Imperial City set or that Clever Alchemist set in the Iron Wheel area of Hew’s Bane.

I like going to the other set locations because they take me to areas that I haven’t visited in a while.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The702Guy wrote: »

I disagree and here is why. Stations at a home provide extreme time saving convience when doing master writs. I used to do 100-200 master writs weekly. Could you imagine having to go to each set around the world to get these done? It would add at minimum one hour just in traveling time if not more. Not everything has to be a crazy grind you know, there can be things that are convienent once in a while in a game that is mostly grinding ;)

I think the point was that a player just couldn't walk into a guild hall and start using any old attunable crafting station. Instead they would have to unlock the ability by having found and visited the set station location. I don't see anything wrong with a player having to unlock the ability by doing a little open world exploration to find the gear set's home base. They wouldn't have to craft anything just walk through.