The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Necrotic Orb vs Shards on a Templar Healer?

BackLotBasher
BackLotBasher
✭✭
I've tried a number of classes, in a variety of content, and at the end of the day I really feel like I have a decent handle on the role of Healer. I use a high elf templar (CP310 - mix of Sanctuary and Sorrow gear), and have had a lot of success in dungeons with random groups using a main bar which allows me the following strategy:

I tend to follow close behind the tank and let him/her get set up, then drop Extended Ritual and Channeled Focus as close as possible.

Then I pull back to the perimeter and try to circle and watch where the DD players go, so they're all in range.

I finally figured out that BoL (my third skill on the bar) is not as good for sustained healing, but emergency situations where the whole group takes a huge hit. Now I use Rapid Regen (my fourth skill) to give people a little bump if they look like they're taking damage.

My fifth skill up until now has been the shards, which have worked great for their mix of damage and resources. However, I recently unlocked the Necrotic Orb and tried it a couple of times last night. It seems to serve a similar purpose, although I'm not sure about the mechanics of it moving across the battlefield. This seems to help it tick away more damage over a wider span, but I wasn't sure if it helps the team or not. Is there any advantage to me using one of these over the other, or is it situational?

My other bar has a lot of damage based skills like Elemental Blockade, Puncturing Strikes, and Radiant Oppression, but in truth I rarely swap to this bar. Seems like every time I start to offer some contribution to group damage, someone gets dead while I'm trying to swap back. I have been using the Shards as my damage contribution to healing.
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orbs are currently (stupidly) better than Shards. It has the insanely good advantage that all group members can use the synergy, and it does significantly more damage, even when accounting for misses and Burning Light procs (because they skipped Orbs when re-adjusting damage standards after the DOT meta). The only advantage of Shards is a handful of Aedric Spear passives, but you can get those from other abilities. Hopefully, these will be brought in line next patch, so the class ability will be better than the generic alternative - the way things should be in a game with a class system.
  • majorana
    majorana
    ✭✭
    There is another difference, though it comes to play only in trials. Orbs deal more damage/heal more and move through the group, this is useful if you are healing the DDs. Shards are stationary, some tanks prefer to have shards because they are stationary and they can hit the synergy whenever they want, unlike orbs which move away from them.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orbs in the group, shards on top of the tank.
  • BackLotBasher
    BackLotBasher
    ✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    Orbs in the group, shards on top of the tank.

I do have Shards slotted on my damage bar, so I suppose if things aren't to chaotic, I could try dropping them for the tank, but still spam the orbs for everyone.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both, when I am on my main healer, a Templar, I am regularly using BOTH Orbs and Shards. I tend to drop shards on the tank, and fire Orbs to wherever DPS may be in need. Otherwise both are fired at the tank.
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Energy Orbs for sure if the tank runs Harmony, because the synergy is an AOE heal.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orbs are about 1000 times more efficient.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My templar healer runs the damage morph of orbs and shards both. Both support resources while contributing some damage. Orbs takes a bit of practice to optimize.

There are a load of good skills for a healer but only 10 slots. Two my healer does not normally slot are BoL and Blockade/Wall.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Energy Orbs for sure if the tank runs Harmony, because the synergy is an AOE heal.

The synergy is single target heal...
  • BackLotBasher
    BackLotBasher
    ✭✭
    My templar healer runs the damage morph of orbs and shards both. Both support resources while contributing some damage. Orbs takes a bit of practice to optimize.

There are a load of good skills for a healer but only 10 slots. Two my healer does not normally slot are BoL and Blockade/Wall.

That's interesting. I always think of the BoL as a top-tier burst heal. Do you use another burst, or just try to run without?
  • akdave0
    akdave0
    ✭✭✭✭
    I run both shards (FB) and Orbs (BB). I dropped BOL for Healing Ritual, same/much better burst and you get the movement buff.
    SO:
    Back Bar -
    Extended Ritual
    Channeled Focus
    Combat prayer
    Healing Ritual
    Healing Orbs

Front Bar -
    Inner Light
    Blazing Spear
    Puncturing Sweep
    Blockade of Elements - I flex this space for, overflowing alter, repentance, healing springs, or healing ward
    Radiant Oppression

Jorvulds and Mother sorrow gear. I will swap MS for Sanctuary, OLO, Destruction Mastery, BSW, or Worms.
    Mothers inferno and Masters resto
    I will swap out jewelry as well for Ancient Grace, or Willpower if I need more magic pool.

The great thing about PVE temps is that we can build a single front bar Vma destro for support if things get hairy in combat, and then a very effective healing back bar.

• itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

"Causing the orb to explode and heal for 5242 Health to all friendly targets". It is a powerful aoe heal.
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's interesting. I always think of the BoL as a top-tier burst heal. Do you use another burst, or just try to run without?

I find I don't have enough skill slots and BoL was my least used skill. My solution is use Combat Prayer for most bursts and keep a couple of HoTs active to ensure Earthgore procs if a really big emergency burst out to 28m is needed. I've been pleased with this approach and appreciate the extra skill slot that Earthgore indirectly provides.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itsfatbass wrote: »
    zvavi wrote: »

"Causing the orb to explode and heal for 5242 Health to all friendly targets". It is a powerful aoe heal.

I stand corrected. You are correct.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My other bar has a lot of damage based skills like Elemental Blockade, Puncturing Strikes, and Radiant Oppression, but in truth I rarely swap to this bar. Seems like every time I start to offer some contribution to group damage, someone gets dead while I'm trying to swap back. I have been using the Shards as my damage contribution to healing.

Dont split bars into heal and damage.